Got a Chance to Hear the Hurcs last night

WOW

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Legal Eagle said:

" WOW "

Just wondering, Liz -- Were you reacting to the reports of the Hurcs' potential powerhouse for the coming season, or Don's assessment of 'Jumpin Joe Genero?' I suspect the latter.

Don, my good friend, I respect your opinion, and the DM's you and Ray named are unquestionably among the all-time greats, the 'upper elite,' as you say. But I think you HAVE to include Joe Genero in there too! He may not have had some of the flash and showmanship of a few of the others, but he too was a great DM in addition to being an amazing arranger and instructor.

Not every horn instructor is automatically a great major, but Joe was. He always gave it his all, and drew every last ounce of energy out of his Hurc hornlines when he was out there on the field -- and I hated to lose to them, which I did many times! Just my opinion.

Legal Eagle said:

" WOW "

Just wondering, Liz -- Were you reacting to the reports of the Hurcs' potential powerhouse for the coming season, or Don's assessment of 'Jumpin Joe Genero?' I suspect the latter.

Don, my good friend, I respect your opinion, and the DM's you and Ray named are unquestionably among the all-time greats, the 'upper elite,' as you say. But I think you HAVE to include Joe Genero in there too! He may not have had some of the flash and showmanship of a few of the others, but he too was a great DM in addition to being an amazing arranger and instructor.

Not every horn instructor is automatically a great major, but Joe was. He always gave it his all, and drew every last ounce of energy out of his Hurc hornlines when he was out there on the field -- and I hated to lose to them, which I did many times! Just my opinion.

well maybe i was a little harsh. i didn't mean that. he was good. no doubt. and i loved the guy. and i loved watching him. but a lot of the others were " professional " dms. let me say he was way up there.

Legal Eagle said:

" WOW "

Both. :thumbup: But work got in the way and I never got the chance to go back and edit the post and complete my thoughts after the boss disappeared from the office. Then I was away all weekend.

Yes, I was very surprised at the thought that Mr. Genero wasn't among the upper elite. This isn't what I was brought up hearing for the last 20 years so I was taken aback by Don's commentary.

BUT WOW also applies to this year's Hurricane's show. The opener alone is going to make everyone take a step back and rethink their predictions this year. Bernie M. and Jim Dugan, and the rest of the staff, and the membership have really worked hard to put together a top notch show.

And Ray Fallon was correct in his earlier dinasour assessment of the crowd. When I first joined all I heard about was 'the old dinasours'. Now I am one...go figure... :thumbup:

Both. :thumbup: But work got in the way and I never got the chance to go back and edit the post and complete my thoughts after the boss disappeared from the office. Then I was away all weekend.

Yes, I was very surprised at the thought that Mr. Genero wasn't among the upper elite. This isn't what I was brought up hearing for the last 20 years so I was taken aback by Don's commentary.

BUT WOW also applies to this year's Hurricane's show. The opener alone is going to make everyone take a step back and rethink their predictions this year. Bernie M. and Jim Dugan, and the rest of the staff, and the membership have really worked hard to put together a top notch show.

And Ray Fallon was correct in his earlier dinasour assessment of the crowd. When I first joined all I heard about was 'the old dinasours'. Now I am one...go figure... :thumbup:

sorry you didn't like my thoughts. i will tell you that i knew joe personally and i loved the man. most of the other dms were pro's. that was their job. they perfected the showmanship. now joe was a great conductor wich is a different thing.

but let's be honest...........you don't like anything i post. so lets agree to disagree.

Hey Don?

I like ya better than Shadow. :thumbup:

Hey Don?

I like ya better than Shadow. :thumbup:

thanks. :thumbup:

well thats going out on a limb :thumbup:

Come on ~ that was funny. :thumbup:

I really though you were joking Don so I replied in similar format. I don't disagree with everything you post at all.

i wasn't going to post mut i really have to. jummpin joe was great but cmon hooten, mcConky , smythe, winky and russo were way over the top. even butch anderson . joe wa a great arranger and teacher an had a lot of energy as dm but he was not in the upper elite. i knew the man and yes i loved him but i'm trting to be honest and not letmy bias show. just my humble opinion.

I think I've missed a little while my laptop was broken... I take nothing away from any of the guys you mention. If you want my honest opinion about conductors, it would go - George Parks or Laurie Kunzel for #1, John Sasso or Truman Crawford for # 3 and 4, or even swap anyone in that top 4 and I won't complain.

When it comes to showmanship - the very nature of the subject is (get ready) subjective. For me, no one connected with his players any better than Joe. It is probably true that no one connected with an audience any better than the folks you name.

If you take all the names we collectively just mentioned and arrange them in any order from 1 - 10, it's a pretty swell group, by anyone's standards.

BTW - I miss them all. Whatever it was, when I was 16 or so, if you asked me who I'd want to be like if I were standing out in front of a corps, I would have said Joe. But you can't lose with any of them.