What Corps In The Sr Circuit.....

Ohhh, I remember Vinnie Ratfords wife very well. She was a Lucille Ball lookalike, with a Bronx attitude. A real "wild and crazy chick".

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but I think the senior corps that did more than any other would be the Cabs.

I agree. IMO, they were the trailblazers of drum corps' "modern era"...post-World War II.

Among the "newer" corps, I'd add the Empire Statesmen to the list..... their overseas trips, their local concerts, their emphasis on playing music and staging shows that a general audience can "get"....... they have helped spread the "drum corps gospel."

Someone else mentioned the Matadors. Particularly in the 1970's through the early 80's, they were another great crowd pleaser. I'm pretty sure that the several thousand fans who were at the 1977 Madison Square Garden show remember who the Matadors were, until this day. :tongue:

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Dave - There is Brigadier folklore that says both the Indian Sequence (ten little indians) and the Merry Go Round effect in Carousel were both Vinnie's wife's ideas... She always got creative credit when many of Vinnie's innovations were discussed...

Also, I would like to clarify one thing... The senior corps of all time and most influential on this activity is, of course, CABALLEROS... our choices here when discussing innovativeness and change brings out many of the important and significant things that were done, but Cabs... well... they were always Cabs... and many of those innovations were done in a desparate and usually unsuccessful attempt to beat them... I'm sure in the late 40's when most corps were still marching around the field in parade formation and wearing khaki uniforms, Cabs entrance on the field in their Spanish Costumes had to be earth shattering...

Besides... you have to be innovative to make 20,000 legionaires think "VALENCIA" was the greatest American color pre of all time... that one always made me smile - but that was the greatness that accompanies the Caballero name... and mystique...

... and who could forget the white pigeons on the field! That's innovation.

I'm sorry, one of the most entertaining moments I ever had watching drum corps!

well it did teach corps not to try it again :tongue:

... and who could forget the white pigeons on the field!

Unfortunately, I can't. :thumbup:

Fran

but the impact is felt in time, and wow. i will say that for a few years, DCA was kind of stagnant, and the Evil team, came in, blew the house down....and since then, in general DCA finals has become more entertaining top to bottom, even with the diverse offerings we the fans get.

but it wasnt just the volume......it was where they came from. yes we had Heatwave and CV travelling before Lee and crew invaded.....but look at the DCA growth around the country since the Renegades came in.

Yep....that was a big year for DCA (2002) when the Renegades came on the scene. They are definitely one of those "I gotta see 'em" corps.

Fran

Someone else mentioned the Matadors. Particularly in the 1970's through the early 80's, they were another great crowd pleaser. I'm pretty sure that the several thousand fans who were at the 1977 Madison Square Garden show remember who the Matadors were, until this day. :tongue:

Fran

Funny thing is the Mats had an "off" year in 1976 (10th) and Westshoremen was only a few points behind them at Prelims. Westshore was on the upswing and some of us thought if the Matadors kept slipping we might top them in 1977.

Then my buddy and I saw them at Danville exhibition and it was "Oh ####, ain't gonna beat then this year". :devil: LOL, one of my top memories is sitting at the bottom row at Danville which put me at bell level of the horn line. Here comes the final push of "Rodeo" and the screamin' sops are coming straight at my ears. :devil:

2003 went to my first Prelims in about 12 years. Renegades come out and I hear one of the elderly gentlemen behind me tell his buddy: "Hey we saw these guys last year. You're gonna love this ####". :thumbup:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

back when I was around...it HAD to be Rochester Phoenix....they were the coolest corps ever... :peek:

Connie

• 1 month later...

There was a time where Sky were dubbed the "innovaters" of DCA.