What Corps In The Sr Circuit.....

changed the tide for the popularity of drum corps?

I guess this could be a few corps. I would guess that Hawthorne would have to be up there, but what corps really made drum corps popular? Maybe Tom Peashey or some of the "more mature" drum corps guys or girls could give us a handle on this.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

changed the tide for the popularity of drum corps?

I guess this could be a few corps. I would guess that Hawthorne would have to be up there, but what corps really made drum corps popular? Maybe Tom Peashey or some of the "more mature" drum corps guys or girls could give us a handle on this.

Hawthorne for sure, Archie and Reilly, Sky and Princemen and a corps from Reading Pa all come to mind for me

Steel City Ambassadors, Bushwackers, Sunrisers Ect. brought new dimensions to DCA in the mid 80s they all upped the level of difficulty and excellence.

As shows changed from year to year and more stuff was added and added, corps adapted their shows accordingly.

I don't think any corps has ever had monopoly on entertainment and innovation, but if you're talking "turning the tide" in DCA to a showmanship experience with audience satisfaction in mind - Matadors immediately leap to mind, for me.

Edited by Martybucs

As shows changed from year to year and more stuff was added and added, corps adapted their shows accordingly.

I don't think any corps has ever had monopoly on entertainment and innovation, but if you're talking "turning the tide" in DCA to a showmanship experience with audience satisfaction in mind - Matadors immediately leap to mind, for me.

Matadors, exactly !

I remember in the late 70s, early 80s, they were always the crowd faves, even though they were never in the running for winning anything. They were the first real showman-like corps I'd ever seen in DCA, and they really seemed to enjoy that role, too.

I can still hear Bob Findley counting out the rest before the big hit in "Even Now", and, man, "Rocky" NEVER failed to bring the house down!

50's Brigadiers - the music of the Gabriel brothers and Brad Longdo combined with Bobby Thompson's percussion dominance and the innovative mind of Vinnie Ratford on drill... changed drum corps forever... creativity wise...

imagine - these were the first drills to break squads and deal with curves - even circles... not just company fronts and waterfalls and squads of three rotating...

Great topic, it will depend on when you became a Sr. corps person. Those from the 50's probally will say an innovative corps from that era and so on.

I think the Renegades are a corps that will fit this description 10 years from now.

I agree, and in this list, remember winning isnt always everything.