“Double Win” versus “Tie”

if the numbers add up to a tie, fine.

if they don't, fine.

if you want to have a tie breaker system for when corps score the same, fine. If we want to go this way, I vote for a small ensemble competition with the rack player, some horn line members, and 2 rifles.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't get the acrimony toward ties in dci.

300 kids wake up sunday morning as champions, instead of 150.

why is that bad?

Some champions go to sleep on Saturday night? :peek:

Not true... golfers are keenly aware of their current standing, and it greatly influences their strategy. Down by a stroke on the 18? You're not going to be laying it up in a borderline situation.

Well, then that's true of drum corps and gymnastics and everthing else as well. If one competitor pulls out the performance of a lifetime the others know they have to up their performance as well. If one skater flubs a performance then the next skater knows he/she can be more conservative or whatever.

Clearly the previous poster was making a distinction between football where the competitors line up against each other and drum corps where they do not. My point is that if that is your rationale as to whether or not there should be ties, it doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Football has tiebreakers. Boxing does not. Both are face-to-face competition. Golf has tie breaker. Figure skating does not. Both are indirect competition.

So what should drum corps do? Anything they want is my point and trying to find comparable reasons to other sports/competition is fruitless.

Well, then that's true of drum corps and gymnastics and everthing else as well. If one competitor pulls out the performance of a lifetime the others know they have to up their performance as well. If one skater flubs a performance then the next skater knows he/she can be more conservative or whatever.

Clearly the previous poster was making a distinction between football where the competitors line up against each other and drum corps where they do not. My point is that if that is your rationale as to whether or not there should be ties, it doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Football has tiebreakers. Boxing does not. Both are face-to-face competition. Golf has tie breaker. Figure skating does not. Both are indirect competition.

So what should drum corps do? Anything they want is my point and trying to find comparable reasons to other sports/competition is fruitless.

That's a fair point...

As I said earlier, I'm glad that they've got rid of the tie-breaker. I'm just glad nobody's got screwed out of a championship since it was implemented.

Yes, but I do think it was a good idea to go to hundredths of points instead of tenths to minimize ties. It's like in skiing or other timed events -- go to as minute a measuring level as you reasonably can, but then if it's a tie, it's a tie.

Oh, I agree...a win is a win...by however small a margin...trying to minimize the chance of a tie is great. It should be the score that makes the determination, not some secondary set of rules that end up punishing 150 kids who reached the same heights as the corps that DID end up in first.

Why is a “tie” such a bad and agonizing thing in drum corps and such a praised event at this robotics competition? Maybe if we called it a “double win” we could also see it as a joyful thing rather and a rip-off for whichever of the winning corps we personally preferred.

Well, I'm not keen on the conspiracy idea. But I was there for the '96, '99, and '00 ties. I remember feeling before the'99 scores announcement that it was just too close to call between BD and SCV. A double win for the corps and the fans that year for sure.

There are ties in the Olympics. And I love drum corps with all my heart, but I think an Olympic medal is a tad bit more important that a drum corps medal.

Meh, show me Phelps playing flam drags and I'll be impressed. He can swim fast. Fabulous.

Edited by BozzlyB

Meh, show me Phelps playing flam drags and I'll be impressed. He can swim fast. Fabulous.

You are more impressed by the drum line that wins top percussion than someone who set an olympic record with the number of gold medals they won? To each his own I guess, but I don't think you'll find many who agree with you. And, i'm sure there are many more people who can play flam drags in a line that gets the drum trophy than can swim as fast as phelps.

You're right. . . .let's give it to all 1800 kids instead at Finals.

Yes, because everyone is special and everyone is a little precious thing. :peek: