“Double Win” versus “Tie”

I don't believe for a minute that some of you would rather lose than tie for the championship. And just a mild suggestion for anyone who actually does: You might want to re-examine your priorities. There is no shame whatsoever in tying BD, PR, Cadets, Cavies or any other DCI champion. None.

My view on ties is let's have them. In addition to the compelling arguments already stated here, ties have one perishable and irreplaceable virtue: They give us one more encore at championships, one more drum corps show to savor before the long season without.

HH

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe for a minute that some of you would rather lose than tie for the championship. And just a mild suggestion for anyone who actually does: You might want to re-examine your priorities. There is no shame whatsoever in tying BD, PR, Cadets, Cavies or any other DCI champion. None.

bingo.

personally, i tied twice at finals -- once for a championship -- and it made no difference. it happens, and that's fine.

I dunno, with all due respect to PR I doubt there is much of an existing rivalry between a corps that has won a championship 12 times and a corps that has won a championship twice.

Wow!!! /using this logic, BD simply has no rival... :tongue:

I guess BD fans the world over already knew that? :tongue:

I watched an interesting program on PBS last night about a robotics competition. In one segment about a major, annual competition between MIT students, the two finalists conspired to cause a “tie”. The audience, adjudicators and faculty all went crazy with joy and started hollering, “double win”!!

Why is a “tie” such a bad and agonizing thing in drum corps and such a praised event at this robotics competition? Maybe if we called it a “double win” we could also see it as a joyful thing rather and a rip-off for whichever of the winning corps we personally preferred.

A lesson from outside the corps world that we should take to heart.

Thoughts?

I simply am not a fan of ties in Drum Corps.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Come of us love our competitive spirit. A tie is an anathema. A good fought loss is better than a tie.

No disrespect, but the willingness (preference even) to accept a loss doesn't indicate competitive spirit; it indicates a martyr's attitude.

HH

Personally, I'm not a fan of ties. But for all the sports comparisons being made, consider what is used for tiebreakers in much sport. It's not going back and re-evaluating who was leading at the end of the third quarter, or who "won" the most innings. The solution is extra innings/overtime/sudden death/sudden victory/golden goal/what have you.

So if we should have a tie in drum corps, the solution? MORE DRUM CORPS! :tongue:

How about this? "And in second place, we have a tie! Phantom Regiment and Blue Devils, do you accept the tie or would you like to go back on the field for a tie-breaker?"

How would they vote? How would you?

After all this discussion, for me it still comes down to this: If I include “me” in the equation, I want my corps, or my favorite corps, or the corps with my favorite show, to win. If I remove “me” from the equation, I want every corps that attains such a high degree of execution that they earn the highest score at finals to win.

I hope that the next time this happens, I can get out of my own way and enjoy the double win for the sake of ALL the champions on that night.