Hashgate II! (no worries, this is actually pretty funny)

What is it with the hashes? When I marched I remember there being this time of day, usually right at the beginning of the evening block, when the sun was situated just right that you couldn't see anything. Not the painted yardlines, not the hashes... nothing. We still marched our drill. It probably wasn't quite as clean as it normally was when we could see them, but nobody died and we could certainly march our show. Maybe they should put in more time during visual block, lol.

they have only had a week or two of rehearsal. They would've looked really really dirty with hashes, and you want them to try it without? You are moving from "dirty" towards "potential injuries" as the likely result.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my Jr. days 88-92 we always had at least one set of a super tight pass through going left to right, that if lines / hashes didn't exist, you'd be looking at personal injuries and at a minimum $1K worth of damage to the equipment.

In my marching days (86-89), we were taught where to go and how to guide off our corpsmates.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but if imperfect hashmarks are going to cause injuries and thousands of dollars of equipment damage, I would suggest that the corps is not ready to march that drill with equipment in hand in the first place.

Now, I certainly understand how corps in a contest situation are entitled to a level (and properly marked) playing field. However, exhibitions are different, and they may not always occur in venues that comply with DCI practices.

In my marching days (86-89), we were taught where to go and how to guide off our corpsmates.

They still are. Reminder: they've practiced for two weeks. There's a good chance they learned some of the drill yesterday.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but if imperfect hashmarks are going to cause injuries and thousands of dollars of equipment damage, I would suggest that the corps is not ready to march that drill with equipment in hand in the first place.

You've got to start sometime. You're being unfair. See my reason above.

Now, I certainly understand how corps in a contest situation are entitled to a level (and properly marked) playing field. However, exhibitions are different, and they may not always occur in venues that comply with DCI practices.

The venue changed, so they altered what they performed. Why would anyone expect them to perform something they haven't prepared for?

I can't believe I'm defending the Cadets... but there are some cheap potshots being taken at the corps by armchair marchers who either underestimate the demands on today's performers or overestimate the abilities that they had in their youth. If I were marching today I would be very scared to try to perform a show that I just learned without all of the resources I was used to having at my disposal.

Ha! I remember performing our show at the MLB All-Star game at the Oakland Coliseum in 1987. We set up in the outfield. They set up yard markers where the "front" sideline would be (no lines allowed). A center "X" was made at mid-field with those highway markers (botts dots). I don't know how good we were (this was a baseball crowd and we were pretty far back), but there were no collisions or injuries.

Ha! I remember performing our show at the MLB All-Star game at the Oakland Coliseum in 1987. We set up in the outfield. They set up yard markers where the "front" sideline would be (no lines allowed). A center "X" was made at mid-field with those highway markers (botts dots). I don't know how good we were (this was a baseball crowd and we were pretty far back), but there were no collisions or injuries.

According to Wikipedia that game was on July 14th, 1987. I think most corps could perform their show with minimal field markings by mid-July. I don't think anyone could on May 30th.

Not to sound harsh but I think that the staff of the Cadets knows more about what the members are ready for and capable of than armchair director #294 on the internet. They have probably forgotten more than you will ever know about teaching a world championship caliber drum corps.

Not to sound harsh but I think that the staff of the Cadets knows more about what the members are ready for and capable of than armchair director #294 on the internet.

wvu80 stands and applauds.

Well, not to beat the dead horse on how drill may or may not have changed since your day, but not all corps guide to the form for drill anymore. The more markings, the better, as far as dot marching is concerned.