The Cadets' Meteorologist

I'm unclear as to why any corps would need it's own meteorologist. You can already get the local weather forecast for any location in America from a number of websites, including weather.com, accuweather.com, even google and yahoo. It just seems like a duplication of effort.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point. There are many things a corps could do with a very localized weather forecast including rearranging the plan for the day to learn new drill in the morning and break into sectionals in the afternoon (instead of the other way around) if severe thunderstorms are forecast for the afternoon. And to get that information for free from an intern who is also filling the rest of his time as a volunteer for the corps is truly a gift!! Kudos to him!

exactly. i'm amazed someone never thought of this before

I'm unclear as to why any corps would need it's own meteorologist. You can already get the local weather forecast for any location in America from a number of websites, including weather.com, accuweather.com, even google and yahoo. It just seems like a duplication of effort.

it helps a kid get an internship for college man. it's killing two birds with one stone.

Sorry. The Internet isn't the answer to all of life's questions.

Putting aside the internship and similar such considerations, the reason why Cadets NEED a meteorologist is it makes someone responsible and accountable for this important planning element. It's easy to imagine how your average corps struggling to refine the music and learn new drill might not give weather forecasting/planning a high priority. By his initiative, this young man has not only won for himself an internship, he's given the corps the chance to focus on these same priorities more efficiently and effectively precisely because he added his voice to the discussion.

HH

The Cadets will still practice outside, guys. They just need to know if they should bring electronics with them, or if they should prepare the indoor facilities, or if the pit should join them outside.

Weather guys are actually right nearly 100% of the time, seeing as they give percentages for the weather (30% chance of rain, 60% of thunderstorms, etc.). Weather is unpredictable, get used to it.

When a forecast discusses a certain % chance of precipitation, means that that amount of the area being forecast for will see precipitation. A 60% chance means that 60% of the forecast area will get precip.

The use of the weather channel, or any other device can only be a guide when on tour. Just because there are storms expected in your town, it does not mean that the field you are practicing on will get bad enough weather. A lot of "nowcasting" will probably take place as well. You can see the storm coming, but will you get a direct hit? Should the pit (or other equipment need to be moved) to protect it from water damage? How much time can we really stay out before we need to take cover? Maximize the time helps too. Having someone on staff that has a background in or has studied atmospheric science is not a bad idea at all.

Other factors such as temp and humidty..planning ahead and being properly prepared for any weather conditions will save the corps lots of time and probably money, too.

Can someone please explain to me why this is necessary or useful?

Yes, it's going to rain occasionally. Rehearse anyway. Keep your cute little amps and synth out of the rain.

Yes, it's going to thunderstorm occasionally. Rehearse inside.

Most days it's going to be hot. Keep the kids hydrated.

I'm not trying to knock the kid and I am a huge Cadets fan but this just seems unnecessary to me. A corps with their very own Al Roker.

This seems akin to calling a lunch-lady a school nutrition coordinator. Making something sound more important than it actually is. Or creating a position just to create a position.

This seems akin to calling a lunch-lady a school nutrition coordinator. Making something sound more important than it actually is. Or creating a position just to create a position.

. . .whatever it takes to get another volunteer. :blink:

My thoughts exactly. "Look, its starting to rain, get the meteorologist to help carry the synths inside"!

Some of you must have no experience on the administrative side of things.