The Cadets' Meteorologist

that's pretty cool. Props to that kid for basically creating his own internship.

I agree with being outside almost regardless though... lol. We did run inside during the hail storm in 2006... don't remember exactly where it was, somewhere in the midwest. Of course, we didn't run inside until it started. Definitely can't go inside while there's nothing coming down, even if it is only minutes away...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool internship, but I'm not sure how useful it will be.

Option A: It's not raining: You practice.

Option B: It's raining: You practice.

take also into account whats coming down the road, heat indexes, humidity, etc.......he may be able to say "hey staff it's going to be 105 today...keep the kids hydrated"

When I marched, the only time they pulled you off the practice field was during an electrical storm. If it was only raining you just became an instant duck. It's a good idea to have someone keep an eye on the weather though. Mother Nature can change her mind in a hurry.

take also into account whats coming down the road, heat indexes, humidity, etc.......he may be able to say "hey staff it's going to be 105 today...keep the kids hydrated"

Good point. There are many things a corps could do with a very localized weather forecast including rearranging the plan for the day to learn new drill in the morning and break into sectionals in the afternoon (instead of the other way around) if severe thunderstorms are forecast for the afternoon. And to get that information for free from an intern who is also filling the rest of his time as a volunteer for the corps is truly a gift!! Kudos to him!

Edited by fifer

possibly... we were at the canceled show at University of Nebraska, so it could've been there.

Yeah sorry about that rain out. It was the first year we held it at UNL and it was a rain out....bad for business. It was real iffy if the weather would hold or not.

As a buddy of mine, who is an AMS certified weather guesser says, "Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get !" or "I'm sorry, I'm not in management, just public relations !" This is a great chance for the budding weather guesser. He will be paid appropriatly. Most weather guys get paid 100% of their salary for being right less than 50% of the time.

The Cadets will still practice outside, guys. They just need to know if they should bring electronics with them, or if they should prepare the indoor facilities, or if the pit should join them outside.

As a buddy of mine, who is an AMS certified weather guesser says, "Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get !" or "I'm sorry, I'm not in management, just public relations !" This is a great chance for the budding weather guesser. He will be paid appropriatly. Most weather guys get paid 100% of their salary for being right less than 50% of the time.

Weather guys are actually right nearly 100% of the time, seeing as they give percentages for the weather (30% chance of rain, 60% of thunderstorms, etc.). Weather is unpredictable, get used to it.