early shows

early shows  

104 members have voted

1. 1. early shows...which do you prefer to see

• complete but dirty show
    • clean first half but stand still second half

There was NEVER a thought of "Arcing it up" to honk through the last 50% of their programs.

That's because they could only arc up and honk for the concert piece. :blink:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you go to an early season show, you know it is going to be dirty. So the corps there should play their whole show, in all its dirty glory.

Reminds me of Phantom's 2003 show when they would end it on that cluster#### of a chord that was just BEGGING to be resolved. Everybody knew there was something else coming- and boy was the payoff good when it did!

payoff wasn't good for the people who paid to see the show that night. Why should you buy a second ticket to get the payoff?

Edited by soccerguy315

It's gotten better, but it was really bad a few years ago. Phantom guard did not have uniforms and marched in black rehearsal wear. And no show flags. it was not much better than watching a runthrough.

And either last year or the year before, Blue Knights had about 1/2 of a show on the field.

If corps are going to present those programs on opening weekend, then DCI needs to lower their pricing structure. Ticket prices on opening weekend are about the same as the end of July.

I have never, will never and refuse to understand why, I this day and age with corps doing upwards of 1 months worth of Spring Training why any corps wold ever leave Everydays with an incomplete product. To me, it shows a lack of effort by staff and design team.

I agree, or lack of experience. I can agree that things outside of a corps control (weather, accidents etc) can delay a complete show from hitting the field early in the season, but 9 times out of 10 it is the staffs fault.

I would rather see a complete show in June than a standstill. Any potential top World Class corps that hits the feild incomplete is doing a disservice to its members. While the corps plays catch-up with itself, the competition is surging ahead.

In this day and age, with the Fan Network, I honestly don't care. I want to see whatever is on the field as clean as possible for that point in the season. If it's the full show, then great. If it's 3/4's of the show but well performed, great. I know that if I see a So Cal show in early July it's not going to be finished (and probably not that clean either). But I get to see a ton of show on Fan Network, and I get to see the show progress through out the year, and take shape. THAT'S what I've always loved as both a fan and member. I LOVED seeing Cavaliers show take shape in 1995, as well as the dozen or so versions of Cadets in 95. I know that what I see in late June is more than likely going to be a mess compared to finals week, and I'm fine with that. To me, a drum corps show is not just the corps' performance on the field. It's about hanging out with friends in the lot/the stands, seeing students who march corps after the shows, watching drum and horn lines warm-up, and watching my seven year old get excited about drum corps. At the cheap price of $40, the price of one ticket to one show sometimes, you can have access to 17 video on demand shows. For $60 you can have access to the 17 On Demand shows, plus at least 7 live webcasts (one of them Semi's). At those prices, if you are the type of drum corps fan who's not happy with an incomplete, dirty early season show, just subscribe to Fan Network and see all of the corps "grow."

payoff wasn't good for the people who paid to see the show that night. Why should you buy a second ticket to get the payoff?

The rest of the show more than made up for it. I marched that year and got to see both Phantom and Bluecoats at the first show of the year in Toledo. I remember Bluecoats mark-time-hutting through the last 45 seconds of their show and Phantom had a complete 10 minute show on the field. You could tell that changes were obviously coming for both corps, but Phantom had a product on the field that could be called "complete" that night.

I voted for complete but dirty.

It simply happens where some corps are not able to finish their show by first competition. As much as I would want a complete show I would rather see that all the kids are safe. Trust me these kids are doing more with 16 counts than some of us can imagine (if you marched 15 or 20 years ago). When I aged out (which was more than 20 years ago) there were no corps marching 200+ bpm; today you have that as a norm while playing and with technique. I will be at one of the shows where there will probably be at least one corps who does not have a complete show (but I could be wrong). I will applaude no matter where they end.

Irving

Fan of the Arts