Open Class Predictions

Looking at the posted DCA schedule, I don't see MBI competing against ANYONE until 2 weeks before the championship! And even then they are likely not competing against any of the eventual top 10 corps. Perhaps they should just form their own circuit, cause ain't no way they will EVER win with that schedule.

Got second place in 08. Maybe some of the NE corps should travel to the Midwest.

Just sayin'

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got second place in 08. Maybe some of the NE corps should travel to the Midwest.

Just sayin'

if it could be at least break even for the corps, some might. i know in 89 Shore took a bath going to Chicago and Dayton on the way back. more people on the field than in the stands

12. Kilties - Strong tradition but borderline alumni.

13. MCL - Maybe in a couple years...keep working at it.

Obviously these are my own opinions and I do not intend to offend/hurt anyone.

Best of luck to all corps this year.

The 3 shows the Kilties had in the Midwest were DCA judged. They were within 5 to 7 points of Brass in those shows.

That would have put them right in the Night show in about 9th place. Alas the scores didn't follow thru to the East.

Pretty darn good for ....... as you say an almost Alumni corps.

Speaking for myself and not on the behalf of the Kilties

Looking at the posted DCA schedule, I don't see MBI competing against ANYONE until 2 weeks before the championship! And even then they are likely not competing against any of the eventual top 10 corps. Perhaps they should just form their own circuit, cause ain't no way they will EVER win with that schedule.

Last year did some pretty important things for MBI. Among the most important was getting rid of the opinion (felt by some both inside and outside of our organization) that "they'll never LET us win." Second place for MBI last year means we can't say that anymore. If we put an excellent product on the field, the judges and the system will reward us accordingly (or at least as well as any judging system can work to evaluate stuff as passionate, fun and subjective as drum corps :rolleyes: )

There's no question that the more often DCA judges see us the better we'll be and the better they will be at adjudicating us fairly at the end of the year. That's how the system works. Our geography is the only remaining barrier to making that happen.

To overcome this we at MBI have to do two things:

1. We need to build and support DCA-Central. The stronger and better our friends at Kilties, Govies, Chops and elsewhere get, the more opportunities we will have to grow audiences, resources and shows. In the past few years our schedule has changed significantly, largely as a result of changes to the DCI schedule which used to provide the bulk of our Midwest shows. With fewer opportunities to perform at DCI1 shows, we have to build a DCA-C circuit that is strong and growing.

2. We need to grow our financial resources to travel East more frequently. We'd love to be taking more trips to the East Coast. For our members these are demanding but fun trips. Not surprisingly, the single biggest hurdle for us to do this is money. Our back of the envelope calculation is that we 'lose' about $10-15,000 to travel to the East Cost for a weekend trip. Our budget and dues structure as it stands now can't absorb that. As an organization, we are wrestling with the importance of this kind of trip and debating whether we need to re-prioritize resources or ask more from our members (dues) to make this happen. Last year, not surprisingly, has amplified the desire to travel more frequently.

All of which is to say--we're working on it!

I'm thrilled that so many people on this board see us "in the hunt!" We've shown (and I think we will demonstrate again this year) that our on-field product is among the finest in our activity. Dismantling any remaining organizational, financial and structural impediments on our journey to a championship is a challenge we're anxious to tackle.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _

1 Just to clarify so as not to start some even more off-topic debate. We have a very good relationship with DCI and have been able to perform at many outstanding DCI events. The demise of DCM a few years ago and changes to the DCI tour/calendar are the reasons we no longer have the kinds of local/regional performance opportunities than we had not long ago.

Again DCA judging at its finest :rolleyes:

Just sayin'

Something go wrong in the judging last year????

I went to MBI camp last Sunday (May 31)..all I can say is Holy Crap they are good. Compared to any MBI of the past 15 years, they are light years ahead of themselves.

I watched the final camp run through, and they look and sound better than any previous first shows...and this is only May. The hornline line was full, about 58, nice mature sound. They have upgraded thier fundamental visual program and that will likely pay dividends late in the year.. I am already impressed. The coordination of the elements was top notch, Drum line has never been better and the guard seemed bigger and certainly more complete than recent years. This is a total show top to bottom and inside out.

With a show this good this early, you have to think they will have plenty of time to tweek and clean in August.

The Bucs have shown year in and year out they know how to get things done, but in my opinion MBI has everything in place this year to be on the same level as the very best DCA can offer. The championship will be won or lost by tenths this year.

I've always enjoyed MBI, but I thought that last season they really took the final step to become a true monster corps, alongside the other perennial powers.

Just a complete, and overwhelming presence on the field.

If they're building on THAT, then I can't wait to see them.

1. Sunrisers

2. Phoenix

3. Matadors

4. LesDiplomates

5. Skyliners

6. Yankee Rebels

7. Ballantine Brewers

8. Connecticut Yankees

9. Marksmen

10. Westshoremen