Mini Corps

Well I was told it was Frank Minear about 20 years after the fact. Problem is I can't remember who told me and don't think they were in the corps at the time so still not totally sure. I was away at college the last week before DCA and when I came back the day before (Saturday) here's this new guy hanging around the contras. All I know is when I said "Hi Frank" he said "Hi Jim" so I thought he was an previous corps member filling in (go figure). Real nice guy with longer hair who could wail.

Can't remember it he did Prelims, doubt it as we were trying for our first Top 10 in years. But he can be heard at the end of our "Big Band Thing" concert wailing on the second half of "In the Mood". Still have no idea how he ended up playing with us for the weekend. Guess it's another mystery for Ream and his corps history.

Edit: And 20 years from now, someone will probably tell me "No dipstick, that was another Frank who marched back in 19....". :tongue:

odds are Bob Minear got him there with assistance from Larry

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel compelled to again point out that the nay-sayer continues to speak as if he's speaking for Austin Stars... this is most unfortunate... I repeat: "Austin Stars has passed evaluation and are eligible to compete in DCA contests this summer and attend the DCA Championships should they wish to. They have declared Class A status." All information from the corps has been positive following their successful evaluation and considering this, they have been placed on the list of corps "most likely" attending the DCA Championship.

Please do NOT construe this man's bitter comments to be representing Austin Stars, Racine Kilties or any other corps he has marched with in the past.

few at Westshore even remember him

Thanks Moon Hill

be sure to introduce yourself at the championship...

decades? guess I can't argue that... this is DCA Chamionship #45 - I've been at it since DCA #2 in Bridgeport CT 1966

slacker. how dare you not be at #1 :tongue:

odds are Bob Minear got him there with assistance from Larry

OK, who the Hades was Bob???? (Watch him be a Baritone :tongue: )

You think that's bad... during 78-79 seasons I was at college until summer except for camps. Have had people on DCP, RAMD and other places say they still remember me. Danged if I remember their name... and boy do I feel bad about that.

Still don't know the name of the T-Bird drummer whose sister worked with IUP band. Hell talked to him about 50 times when I marched and his was the first hand I shook when I came of the Finals field in '79 for my "last time in Drum Crops" (yeah right...)

Bob was a sop too I think??? i remember seeing his name on a horn chart for one of the many arrangements of Impossible Dream we looked at the last few years in the alumni corps

without limits, you can actually create a bigger mess than if you have limits. Shadow, let's say this again.....show sponsors helped play a part in the limits. wanna know why?

because the paying fans complained. and...if paying customer complain, and stop paying.....people stop running shows. with fewer shows...who gets to perform?

no one.

and...honestly...if you dont know what your membership wants, and they dont have or show the commitment to get their #### together early...it says eithert administration is dropping a ball or 4 or you're getting the wrong people.

then honestly, maybe you need to have a more solid organization in place before you worry about Rochester. if you dont know by June what you will be...field or mini...then you have to take care of your home issues before you travel

however you wish to blame DCA, you fail to admit you have issues on your own that are keeping you from being at DCA. Admit it Shadow....if you cant keep people, it's not just DCA's fault.

Shadow, DCa is going with a schedule that has been in place for a while now, and while everyone can think of ideas and tweaks...and DCA DOES listen to reasonable ideas.....it's generally agreed by all that it is what it is and they make the best of it.

again...DCA does NOT have to do a #### thing for mini corps if they wish not to. DCA's sole focus that weekend is prelims and finals. Everything else...I&E, Alumni...is extra. That DCA does it all says a lot about them, because they realize it's popular.

And to be honest...you are the only one #####ing about it.

Shadow....ever plan a show or convention? Ever need to set deadlines for getting things in like contracts, hotel info, you name it?

When you plan something the size of DCA weekend, you need 90 or MORE to get it all set up and in place. This isn't something you can throw together in a week. I know just from helping to plan an indoor guard and drumline show I needed to know info far ahead of time I wasnt dealing with the travel and accomodation logisitics you need for DCA weekend.

DCA isn';t thinking small. DCA is thinking smart. DCA can NOT be all things for all people. what happened to the Small Drum Corps group? there's a plce for you.

Given that DCA is primarily a weekend organization, it is what it is, and the growth they have shown in just 8 years is awesome...BUT THEY WILL NOT BREAK THE BANK JUST BECAUSE ONE GUY NEEDS MORE TIME TO GET HIS GROUP ORGANIZED.

nor should they. It isn't DCA Shadow. Look in the mirror for everything I mentioned. Hopefully, you get what the mirror should be telling you

Jeff.............(and everydody else)......don't you think he knows..."All of the Above"..? This is his THING, so to speak. Provocation can be a Hobby too...I guess. :tongue: Maybe he (assume it's a He) needs something new. Perhaps trying RAMD would be a good fit.

i'm not sure he knows all of the above.

Bob was a sop too I think??? i remember seeing his name on a horn chart for one of the many arrangements of Impossible Dream we looked at the last few years in the alumni corps

Bob Menear is a sop player. He's one of those guys with a ridiculously impressive resume. I know he was with Westshore and the Alumni corps, also Shenandoah Sound among others (Pittsburg Rockets, Steel City, etc.)

Bob Menear is a sop player. He's one of those guys with a ridiculously impressive resume. I know he was with Westshore and the Alumni corps, also Shenandoah Sound among others (Pittsburg Rockets, Steel City, etc.)

Bob Minear IS a soprano Player, and I also believe he is the horn instructor for the Steel City Ambassadors Alumni Corps. One of the nicest men I have ever met. I think he lurks here on DCP every now and then!.