Musical Cop-Out

DCI policies have all but killed the activity. In the past 20 years, we've seen the number of corps greatly diminish, lost other circuits that SHOULD have complimented DCI, lost other championships that helped make the season more meaningful than simply DCI championships, the open class corps have been practically wiped out, and practically all rule changes are intended to help only the top tier corps. NOW DCI has even ruined a format (brass, percussion and guard) that has been in place since the 1930s.

I'm wondering if it isn't time for another governing board for junior corps besides DCI???

Well, since DCI is it's participating corps..just how do you see this happening?

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wondered if the malletkats would make an appearence. They are sneaky because if you are not looking for them, you would almost think they are something normal for the pit.

They are normal for the pit, starting this year.

I disagree with the idea that, since the music is Kansas, that string instruments are totally allowed...

True....electronic instruments are perfectly valid for any type of music...and NOT using them is also valid for any type of music.

Well, since DCI is it's participating corps..just how do you see this happening?

One scenario could be DCA-which retains a traditional drum corps format-creating a junior division with the non-top corps bolting.

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

I don't see anyone pushing for instruments in A Capella choirs...

I don't see anyone pushing for amps in acoustic bands...

I don't see anyone pushing for brass instruments other than the F horn in woodwind quintets...

So why is there so much push to change the instrumentation in drum corps?

Because those who decide these things think they belong. That's all it takes. Doesn't matter what you or I think.

Because those who decide these things think they belong. That's all it takes. Doesn't matter what you or I think.

No, those people that make such decisions should be held accountable. The opinions of veterans & fans should matter since we are DCI's fiscal base.

One scenario could be DCA-which retains a traditional drum corps format-creating a junior division with the non-top corps bolting.

Unfortunately there's not much interest for that on the senior side.

No, those people that make such decisions should be held accountable. The opinions of veterans & fans should matter since we are DCI's fiscal base.

You are a part of DCI's fiscal base, but there are others with different opinions than yours who are also part of DCI's fiscal base.

I'd go see that!

DCA has it's own circuit to deal with..with a far smaller staff and budget than DCI. I doubt that would happen and I for one am glad...let DCA keep itself strong for it's corps, and let DCI remain strong for it's corps.