Musical Cop-Out

You are a part of DCI's fiscal base, but there are others with different opinions than yours who are also part of DCI's fiscal base.

True, but most of the posters in this thread dislike DCI's abandonment of its traditional format of brass, percussion and guard.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, those people that make such decisions should be held accountable. The opinions of veterans & fans should matter since we are DCI's fiscal base.

Yes, they are accountable...to the corps that make up DCI. Veterans and fans are free to like what they see and hear...or not like it. As long as DCI's audience remains strong...and potential members continue to try out...that's all the 'accountability' there needs to be.

No, those people that make such decisions should be held accountable. The opinions of veterans & fans should matter since we are DCI's fiscal base.

No,

Because those who decide these things think they belong.

DCI rules congress makes the rules for DCI. How could it be otherwise? Whether or not they listen to your opinion or the opinion of any one else is also up to them. I'm sure that each member of that body votes according to what they honestly believe to be the best course. Other bodies have their ways of deciding rules, and they also decide on the methods for their decisions.

Life

I simply reserve my right to whine about the ones I don't agree with.

True, but most of the posters in this thread dislike DCI's abandonment of its traditional format of brass, percussion and guard.

But they haven't done that at all, so I don't follow your point on that.

DCI rules congress makes the rules for DCI. How could it be otherwise? Whether or not they listen to your opinion or the opinion of any one else is also up to them. I'm sure that each member of that body votes according to what they honestly believe to be the best course. Other bodies have their ways of deciding rules, and they also decide on the methods for their decisions.

Life

I simply reserve my right to whine about the ones I don't agree with.

No issue with any of the above from me!

But they haven't done that at all, so I don't follow your point on that.

Yes, they have added a new instrumental family-synths (or electronics)/

Yes, they have added a new instrumental family-synths (or electronics)/

Oh, I thought you meant they no longer focus on brass, percussion and guard.

IMO they do still focus on those things. Synths and other electronics are a long-overdue change, IMO.

Oh, I thought you meant they no longer focus on brass, percussion and guard.

IMO they do still focus on those things. Synths and other electronics are a long-overdue change, IMO.

They added another focus, Mike. I just wish they'd call it marching band and add some woodwinds already!

This is possibly a true statement, but I doubt you took the time to figure out how many are opposed to the progression of the activity by using electronics, to those who don't necessarily care for electronics but love drum corps more than to simply make a big fuss about electronics the way you do. Also, we dislike something because we have different taste, but you seem to use the general argument that since most people have a dislike within the activity that you can piggy back off of others disdain for x y z in the activity to validate your opinion--that the majority of DCI's veterans and fans are unhappy or dislike the same exact thing that you do. Some don't like the "new" things that the guards do, some don't care for esoteric shows, some don't like electronics, some prefer G bugles to Bb, some like old school drill and some of you don't like any of it--but that doesn't mean that the majority of the alumni and fans dislike the use of electronis with the same passion as you do.

But, music is music is music.

Yes, music is music is music. Music is not being disputed. Instrumentation is...and the uniqueness of the drum corps instrumentation is being thrown out the window, unfortunately.