Musical Cop-Out

But they haven't done that at all, so I don't follow your point on that.

:tongue:

...oh never mind.......

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCA???

Yes, DCA is thriving and maintaining the traditional format-no new instrument families. If anything, what I've observed is that DCA is actually attracting a far younger membership base than say in the 80s. When you consider DCA's associated formats (Alumni & minicorps) the growth has been astounding.

if you need a picture:

IMG_9614.JPG

One word....

Yuck. :tongue:

Are you sure that isn't a BOA pic? :tongue:

Are you sure that isn't a BOA pic? :blink:

That's exactly what it looks like.... :smile::tongue:

Okay, I'll try to say this civilly. I was warned (and correctly so) for my personal attack yesterday, so let me just say a few things.

1. I'm a Spirit parent. It's father's day. Even if it wasn't, I'd defend those kids to the nth degree. They don't chase rings, they come to the corps knowing they will be doing all days in the Alabama heat, they know they won't be top five. They come and work because they love the activity, and because they are better people for it. Those of you who have spent time in corps know all about that. I will just say, as a professor of education who teaches motivation theory, that these kids are off the charts in displaying the internal motivation necessary to succeed at anything. In fact, I have a study of them ready to launch next summer. I spent two weeks on the food truck last summer and was amazed EVERY morning.

2. I'm not only a Spirit parent, I'm a Spirit contra parent. My son called me to tell me how excited he was with their first performances, and he never does that. People have told them how much they love the contra sound. The people who have made an argument that it was the bass, but the bass doesn't DOUBLE ANY OF THE CONTRA PARTS.

3. Don't POST ANYMORE PICTURES OF KIDS IN SPIRIT UNIFORMS WITH THE CAPTION "YUCK" OR "THEY'RE WHAT'S WRONG" OR WHATEVER. I was told not to be personal in my attacks, and yet you feel free to attack a corps and our kids because THEY'RE DOING WHAT THE RULES ALLOW.

4. Spirit didn't push for the rules changes, Cadets, and other big corps with political clout did. Virtually every corps is using some kind of electronics, and yet time after time the people on this thread have picked them out to criticize. Why?

5. If you don't like the electronics thing, fine. I don't care one way or the other about it. I do care about these kids, and you should too. Having an activity where only 4 or 5 corps have a chance or matter is what is killing this activity, not electronics. Stop talking about these kids and their performance in a negative way. Just stop it. Criticize DCI, criticize Hopkins or the corps directors, or ALL THE CORPS using electronics. Just leave our kids the heck out of it. Period.

Edited by dapperpoet

Okay, I'll try to say this civilly. I was warned (and correctly so) for my personal attack yesterday, so let me just say a few things.

1. I'm a Spirit parent. It's father's day. Even if it wasn't, I'd defend those kids to the nth degree. They don't chase rings, they come to the corps knowing they will be doing all days in the Alabama heat, they know they won't be top five. They come and work because they love the activity, and because they are better people for it. Those of you who have spent time in corps know all about that. I will just say, as a professor of education who teaches motivation theory, that these kids are off the charts in displaying the internal motivation necessary to succeed at anything. In fact, I have a study of them ready to launch next summer. I spent two weeks on the food truck last summer and was amazed EVERY morning.

2. I'm not only a Spirit parent, I'm a Spirit contra parent. My son called me to tell me how excited he was with their first performances, and he never does that. People have told them how much they love the contra sound. The people who have made an argument that it was the bass, but the bass doesn't DOUBLE ANY OF THE CONTRA PARTS.

3. Don't POST ANYMORE PICTURES OF KIDS IN SPIRIT UNIFORMS WITH THE CAPTION "YUCK" OR "THEY'RE WHAT'S WRONG" OR WHATEVER. I was told not to be personal in my attacks, and yet you feel free to attack a corps and our kids because THEY'RE DOING WHAT THE RULES ALLOW.

4. Spirit didn't push for the rules changes, Cadets, and other big corps with political clout did. Virtually every corps is using some kind of electronics, and yet time after time the people on this thread have picked them out to criticize. Why?

5. If you don't like the electronics thing, fine. I don't care one way or the other about it. I do care about these kids, and you should too. Having an activity where only 4 or 5 corps have a chance or matter is what is killing this activity, not electronics. Stop talking about these kids and their performance in a negative way. Just stop it. Criticize DCI, criticize Hopkins or the corps directors, or ALL THE CORPS using electronics. Just leave our kids the heck out of it. Period.

BRAVO! Very well put!

So like good little DCI sycophants we should just roll over and take whatever they say is gospel? No thanks. They got it wrong the last few decisions.

"In my opinion", of course.....

You want tradition and are afraid of change? That's fine, but this was inevitable. To be honest, the musical monster truck rally that is Drum and Bugle Corps can only last for so long in such an irrelevant, primitive, backwards, and traditionalist state of being.

Now you'll probably say, "Well if you don't like it then you can giiiiit out", and I would say the same to you my friend :(