Would you really leave the activity

Would you leave the activity if woodwinds were added?  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Would you leave the activity if woodwinds were added?

• Yes, drum corps as I loved it would no longer exist
    • No, I love this activity way too much to leave it

and yet here we are again, asking basically the same question with regard to changes/dirction, and we are again at or near the same divisive 80/20 negative split. IN my experience getting the same results over multiple attempts continues to build a sufficient amount of credibility to the debate as much as any one well constructed survey.

Agreed. Actually, DCP is probably the most representative sampling you could have.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the activity has been moving. I don't agree that it has been "so far so good", nor do I agree that nothing bad will happen. Not everyone is as happy with the trajectory or direction of the activity as perhaps you are. I understand you are not alone in your opinion and are definitely entitled to yours. Lastly, I totally disagree that the activity would continue to keep going as you know it if they added woodwinds. I believe it will end DCI's representation of Drum Corps.

I didn't say the activity would be unchanged without woodwinds. I said I'd be happy with the change and happy with the additional colors on the palette.

No, not everyone is happy with the change, but I think that enough people (rulemakers and ticketbuyers) feel the same way I do. I think the pageantry activity is melding (DCI, BOA, and WGI) into a distinctly american art form, and I don't think it's a good idea to put the brakes on creative growth. I believe the name "drum and bugle corps" is name only. It has not been applicable in almost 10 years. I think people should stop being sad about change, and start being excited about the possibilities.

Agreed. Actually, DCP is probably the most representative sampling you could have.

Empirically, I don't think so. People who know more about statistics can tell us, but we're only representative as a group of fans who happen to be on this board. I don't think it's proportionally balanced to the people who buy tickets in an actual study. It also matters how questions on polls taken (out there, in a real representative sample) are phrased and colored. On here, they have not at all been neutral.

Empirically, I don't think so. People who know more about statistics can tell us, but we're only representative as a group of fans who happen to be on this board. I don't think it's proportionally balanced to the people who buy tickets in an actual study. It also matters how questions on polls taken (out there, in a real representative sample) are phrased and colored. On here, they have not at all been neutral.

Hmm, are you saying, then, that the internet ISN'T serious business?

Hmm, are you saying, then, that the internet ISN'T serious business?

:tongue:

Good!

I didn't say the activity would be unchanged without woodwinds. I said I'd be happy with the change and happy with the additional colors on the palette.

You already have that option with BOA. No rules changes necessary.

Edited by mobrien

If instrumentation is the epitome of Drum Corps to you, then I feel sorry because you are missing everything else that goes on over the summer.

I thank you deeply for your sorrow. I hope you really enjoy the heck out of it if woodwinds ever do happen, though.

That's as absurd as saying that DCP is the most representative sample you could have.

Simply put, neither you not I nor anybody else has any way to measure the accuracy of polls on here.

Maybe not - because DCP by and large draws folks with a pretty good education about drum corps. To me this argues well for the validity of the polls conducted here. Why poll someone who doesn't know anything about the activity and just makes an uninformed guess? Surely that factors into statistical analysis as well? I only did one year of stats at college so I'm not that literate on this from a mathematical point of view - just going on what seems to be common sense.

No, not everyone is happy with the change, but I think that enough people (rulemakers and ticketbuyers) feel the same way I do. I think the pageantry activity is melding (DCI, BOA, and WGI) into a distinctly american art form, and I don't think it's a good idea to put the brakes on creative growth. I believe the name "drum and bugle corps" is name only. It has not been applicable in almost 10 years. I think people should stop being sad about change, and start being excited about the possibilities.

Once woodwinds are added to the activity I would agree with you 100% that the name "drum and bugle corps" has become name only. However, this is where we separate in what should be celebrated or explored. I don't believe people are sad about change or progress, but I do believe drum and bugle corps has a distinction that makes it what it is. You can have progress without changing the very essence of the activity you are talking about. I will fight for the essence of "drum and bugle corps". To me, it is unacceptable to think it can be completely obliterated in the name of creative growth.