Would you really leave the activity

Would you leave the activity if woodwinds were added?  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Would you leave the activity if woodwinds were added?

• Yes, drum corps as I loved it would no longer exist
    • No, I love this activity way too much to leave it

I'm actually glad you mentioned that. 82 respondents voted that they'd stick around if woodwinds were added to the activity. That's a rather large number for a rule change that isn't even really on the horizon yet. As far as I know, woodwinds haven't ever even been proposed to DCI's board. If a quarter of the fans are fine with them now, fine enough to stay at least, what will that number be like five years from now? ten? twenty? I think that's the real story of this poll, and it took 48 pages to get here.

Lets look at this from a financial point of view. As I write this the poll is 257 yes, 84 no, for a total of 341 votes. Just for this sample size, and using a theoretical number of $50 average spent per fan at a show, lets see how that affects the bottom line.

257x50=$12850

84x50=$4200

So, if the 257 leave they take almost $13000 with them, but those loyal 84 will still bring $4200. But if all of them showed up it's over $17000 still coming in for tickets, souvies, etc. As stated before, if woodwinds, or synths for that matter, are/were never legalized, the 84 will come anyway. but you can bet the 257 won't walk.

So what's better for drum corps? The $4200 from the anything goes people, or the $17000 from everybody?

If drum corps lost support at the level we're talking about they probably wouldn't survive 5, 10 or 20 years into the future. New fans couldn't replace this kind of exodus that fast.

And for the anti-poll people, I will acknowledge the fact that this is a poll of die-hard fans on a drum corps specific discussion group...but I bet it would pretty well translate to the corps fan in general.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets look at this from a financial point of view. As I write this the poll is 257 yes, 84 no, for a total of 341 votes. Just for this sample size, and using a theoretical number of $50 average spent per fan at a show, lets see how that affects the bottom line.

257x50=$12850

84x50=$4200

So, if the 257 leave they take almost $13000 with them, but those loyal 84 will still bring $4200. But if all of them showed up it's over $17000 still coming in for tickets, souvies, etc. As stated before, if woodwinds, or synths for that matter, are/were never legalized, the 84 will come anyway. but you can bet the 257 won't walk.

So what's better for drum corps? The $4200 from the anything goes people, or the $17000 from everybody?

If drum corps lost support at the level we're talking about they probably wouldn't survive 5, 10 or 20 years into the future. New fans couldn't replace this kind of exodus that fast.

And for the anti-poll people, I will acknowledge the fact that this is a poll of die-hard fans on a drum corps specific discussion group...but I bet it would pretty well translate to the corps fan in general.

Garry in Vegas

you should know by now that logic doesn't matter to either DCP or DCI...

you should know by now that logic doesn't matter to either DCP or DCI...

Heh! Yup, my bad!

:tongue:

Kinda lke a long post I did here or RAMD a few years ago lamenting the prices of finals tickets vs attendance, and trying to show how lower prices could attract more bodies and offset, or maybe even increase, the bottom line for DCI.

Pretty sure that one fell on deaf ears, too. Well, considering ticket prices have gone up I'd have to say DEFINITELY fell on deaf ears!

:tongue:

Garry in Vegas

257x50=$12850

84x50=$4200

Garry in Vegas

You could be right, and you could be wrong. If you're right, then DCI will die. It's not like people haven't been making the same exact argument since Bb, though, so I think you'll have to forgive us poor dolts who don't find it a very logical or cogent argument that DCP polls reflect the entirety of the DCI audience.

But like I said, you might be right. If you really had money on the line, I doubt it's something you would really bet on, though. I hope, anyway.

Actually, the point I was trying to get across is that 25% is more than even I would have expected. Ten years ago, would we have seen numbers that high? There's no way to know, but I don't think so. What will the numbers be 10 years from now? 35%? 50%?

Yes, it would be absolutely disatrous if DCI's audience were cut to a quarter of its current size. (Would 75% actually leave? I don't really think so. I recognize many in this thread as those that said they were gone after amps, yet here they still are after synths.) If such a decrease were to happen then I'd have to think DCI would be done. Of course, there's not currently any push for woodwinds of which I'm aware, so all discussion about the impact of adding them overnight is moot. But what if that 25% continues to grow? What if woodwinds are proposed fifteen years from now? Might there be enough acceptance by then for this to pass, and successfully so?

Actually, the point I was trying to get across is that 25% is more than even I would have expected. Ten years ago, would we have seen numbers that high? There's no way to know, but I don't think so. What will the numbers be 10 years from now? 35%? 50%?

Yes, it would be absolutely disatrous if DCI's audience were cut to a quarter of its current size. (Would 75% actually leave? I don't really think so. I recognize many in this thread as those that said they were gone after amps, yet here they still are after synths.) If such a decrease were to happen then I'd have to think DCI would be done. Of course, there's not currently any push for woodwinds of which I'm aware, so all discussion about the impact of adding them overnight is moot. But what if that 25% continues to grow? What if woodwinds are proposed fifteen years from now? Might there be enough acceptance by then for this to pass, and successfully so?

25% SHOULD be more than you would have expected years ago...some have already left due to previous changes. Those that have remained from previous changes are naturally more tolerant than those that have already left. What will the numbers be 10 years from now? They probably will be 35% or so, because you will have steadily lost people over those 10 years that just couldn't take the changes anymore. Pretty soon, the majority WILL be those that want DCI to become BOA, and any and all changes you want will be given to you...if DCI is still exists. But, by then, it won't even remotely resemble drum corps anyway.

The last show I attended was in 2005. I had gone to shows every year since 1985. I guess voiceovers were the final straw for me. I still like to check in to see what corps are doing from time to time. I still love the sound of the brass, although that even changed quite a bit over the last ten years or so. It's just not as loud as it once was.

I would still take a look at DCI if they added woodwinds, but I think it would be something like seeing my ex-girlfriend with another guy.

257x50=$12850

84x50=$4200

Garry in Vegas

shhh. stats can be skewed remember? :thumbup:

I would still take a look at DCI if they added woodwinds, but I think it would be something like seeing my ex-girlfriend with another guy.

Yeah that is probably how I'd feel too.....a little knot would form in my stomach and I'd consider punching his lights out.

After seeing the Moonlight Classic last night, I can honestly say that my enjoyment of drum corps has dwindled greatly. Corps were using electronics and amplification so much it actually hurt my stomach. Blue Knights, for example, was a giant pit feature with the horn and drum lines used just for impact and effect. I'm sure everyone will disagree with me, but I just wasnt entertained, the sound of most of the corps was totally odd and just didnt make sense to me. With the ticket prices having doubled in the last few years, I dont think it will be worth it for me to keep going to shows just so I can leave with the image of Blue Devils sitting in plastic chairs playing music that gives me a headache.