Would you really leave the activity

Would you leave the activity if woodwinds were added?  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Would you leave the activity if woodwinds were added?

• Yes, drum corps as I loved it would no longer exist
    • No, I love this activity way too much to leave it

Every time a major change is added to drum corps, we hear people say "I am not coming back" and that "I won't watch drum corps again." However, most of those people come back, and usually end up here to discuss their disappointment.

On the flip side, those that advocate change are rarely the first ones to open a new topic on a rules change. Probably because those potential posters fear backlash from those who don't want change.

So, the question is: Would you leave the activity if woodwinds were added to the competitive program? Thinking clearly and being honest, would you leave for good?

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty accepting of most of the changes drum corps has seen over the years, but the addition of woodwinds is just too much of a change in the fundamental character of drum corps for me to enjoy it. I might attend a show every few years or so to see what's going on, but I wouldn't be "into it" like I am now.

Depends if it becomes mainstream or not.

If it's just Cadets, I could probably tolerate it. If every other corps is using them, I might find something else to do with my summer.

Nope. I'd be done. To qualify this, I've never said I'd walk away. But this would not be drum corps anymore. In fact, I'd probably stop going to band shows, too. The only thing that might coax me out of self-imposed exile would be if my daughter or grandson marched, but it would be limited to their performances.

So, from someone who has stuck with it through everything, woodwinds would be the nail in the coffin.

If anything could get me off my butt to travel to the NE for drum corps (DCA), it would be DCI adopting woodwinds.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Yep. I'd live off the memories of what made it great and not subject myself to the pain of what it had turned into.

I love playing my clarinet, but I never want to hear one on a field ever. The day woodwinds come into DCI is the day I won't spend anymore $$$$ on it for souvies, CDs, DVDs, etc. I'd still be happy to sponsor kids who want to march, though.

Nope. I'd be done. To qualify this, I've never said I'd walk away. But this would not be drum corps anymore. In fact, I'd probably stop going to band shows, too. The only thing that might coax me out of self-imposed exile would be if my daughter or grandson marched, but it would be limited to their performances.

So, from someone who has stuck with it through everything, woodwinds would be the nail in the coffin.

Garry in Vegas

Well said

Interestingly posed question, considering all of the posts on here lately of folks threatening exacly that. I would hate to think that I would stop watching the activity completely, but I don't know that I would love it as much as I do now. I would mourn.