Would you really leave the activity

Would you leave the activity if woodwinds were added?  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Would you leave the activity if woodwinds were added?

• Yes, drum corps as I loved it would no longer exist
    • No, I love this activity way too much to leave it

Part of the allure of a creative person is when they do something within the confines of a situation such that people who think they knew everything that could be done in that situation see something they never saw coming.

That's one way, but it's not the only way. There is no one way to be creative.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leave? Woodwinds would get me even more into drum corps because I could without a doubt join a corps. Heck, if I'm lucky, top 12. I'd kill to play my sax in the pit.

That's one way, but it's not the only way. There is no one way to be creative.

Creative within the realm and scope of the activity...not adding to in order to achieve your means. I cited examples in past shows in a previous post a couple of pages back that took a good amount of creativity to achieve unique sounds. Under current rules, you can now do that electronically...no creativity...no innovation...just press a key. That, IMO, is the easy way out.

Leave? Woodwinds would get me even more into drum corps because I could without a doubt join a corps. Heck, if I'm lucky, top 12. I'd kill to play my sax in the pit.

somehow i think someone could say the exact opposite of that as well (figuratively)! lol.

Agreed. Actually, DCP is probably the most representative sampling you could have.

No, it's not. It's a lot of the same people saying the same things over and over...on both sides, with the occasional newcomers on either side. Hardly representative of anything but those who post.

No, it's not. It's a lot of the same people saying the same things over and over...on both sides, with the occasional newcomers on either side. Hardly representative of anything but those who post.

Not true at all. Your not going to get a better representation of drum corps fans on all sides of the issue anywhere else that I know of.

And someday in DCI as well...a long way away, though.

But Mike, again, why?

Why can't we have both flavors? If I go to Baskin & Robins, I'm glad that there isn't a number "1" on the sign. Why do we need to eventually have only one type of marching music ensemble?

Are the rule changes the BOD votes on only submitted by a select group of individuals. Or can say a rule change (such as a petition signed by thousands to outlaw the addition of woodwinds from ever being introduced to drum corps) be submitted by another individual or group of people to be voted on by the BOD?

There was a petition presented to the BOD by Lancerlady a few years ago.

But Mike, again, why?

Why can't we have both flavors? If I go to Baskin & Robins, I'm glad that there isn't a number "1" on the sign. Why do we need to eventually have only one type of marching music ensemble?

The more DCI widens the choices the more flavors there will be. The fewer choices the fewer flavors. Not necessarily a bad thing, if that is the direction they want to go, but it hasn't been to-date, I am happy to say.