What defines a Drum and Bugle Corps?

Drum and Bugle Corps --- BUGLES --- as in "G" bugles... oh that is another argument (ducks and runs)

Drums, Bugles, and Guard (with stuff in their hands...)

At least that was drum corps when I did it almost 10 years ago. --- and todays DCA corps

Oh, vw--you're far too young to develop that attitude. Don't walk towards the light...stay with us a while longer!

The whole "this is drum corps and YOU'RE NOT" attitude that permeates the whole activity...and seems to have since before DCI was even thought of...is old. It was old when I was a marching member. It's stale...really, really stale. It's the attitude that drove Star from the activity. It's the attitude that causes the whole "it's not a marching band" thing to keep the activity as a niche thing at best.

Let's get over ourselves, shall we?? It's a friggin trumpet, OK? A TRUMPET!! Bugles are archaic artifacts of the Battle of Little Bighorn and should be allowed to stay buried in their shallow grave. They haven't even been used in wars in...what??--80 years?? WWII used radios...amazing invention that they are/were! They used encrypted stuff now to ensure that we don't "telegraph" signals to the enemy. Bugles...umm...no. Just...no. Sorry.

Ironic, isn't it, that we sit here debating BUGLES in a forum on the INTERNET!?! I mean...how much more of a contrast can you pull up? Time to move on. I mean, really, the musicians today are about twice what we were in the 90's. The corps are about twice as fit and perform at about twice the level we did. And the instruments themselves are INFINITELY better than the P&R's you guys swear by...again, battlefield relics.

Yet Bb's are supposed to be inferior just because we played on G's?? C'mon guys...they proved the world round about a million years ago. Catch up.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A marching band that competes in the summer time.

Really people...it's band c'mon! Get over ourselves :)

:blink::omg: Two thumbs enthusiastically up! Nominated for DCP Post of the Millenium...Post of the Year...Best Poster...Best Supporting Post...Best Cinematography...and if we could kill the G vs Bb debate, it would be nominated for Best Film Score, too!

"Get over ourselves"--GREAT statement! I wholeheartedly agree.

I wonder how many people over the years have been run off by some overzealous fan and former marching member with the "not marching band" attitude. I mean...geez, how obtuse can we possibly be?

"Keep it a niche activity--we don't want more fans competing for our seats!!"

Nice.

So my topic got deleted... which I was related to this but not exactly but whatever...

Anyway, what happened to the days when if someone called a drum corps a "marching band" we all got up in arms and unleashed a fury of knowledge upon them so that for the rest of forever they would always know the difference between a band and a corps? Do we not do that anymore? Do we actually condone letting them call corps band?

Its amazing to see how much people don't care about this topic....or at least don't care about the differences between band and corps. People on here thinking they are the same thing. Someone posted above about days of old when people went ape #### over being called a band. Well people still go ape ####! If some of you are so "okay" with being associated with bands then why do we keep the "corps" in DCI? Why do the announcers ask "is your band ready?" And why the heck do you still get ###### off when the announcers screws that up..."so and so is your band ready?"

There are still differences people and we might as well hang on to them as long as possible.

***on a side note I did seem some groups very closely resembling BOA shows just a couple days ago. Maybe we should change the name.... :blink:

Its amazing to see how much people don't care about this topic....or at least don't care about the differences between band and corps. People on here thinking they are the same thing.

There are no "differences" between bands and corps because all corps ARE bands. What drum corps has are some distinctions that make corps stand out among the various types of bands.

People get riled up after being called a "band" because they believe, and rightly so, that corps deserve a bit of distinction. But when someone calls a corps a band (especially in the media), they're not wrong, and never have been.

For what it's worth, it took me a good number of years to figure that out.

Edited by Kamarag

There are no "differences" between bands and corps because all corps ARE bands. What drum corps has are some distinctions that make corps stand out among the various types of bands.

People get riled up after being called a "band" because they believe, and rightly so, that corps deserve a bit of distinction. But when someone calls a corps a band (especially in the media), they're not wrong, and never have been.

For what it's worth, it took me a good number of years to figure that out.

OK already. We understand your logic. Give us our dignity at least.