Dennis Dodd... again?

Did you guys see what was beyond the "band cart"? I'm pretty sure it was a football sled or something. AND, before he even left the playing field, he was running full tilt. Aren't "elite" athlete supposed to stay in-bounds to get the touchdown? Unfortunate accidents happen all the time, and it's also unfortunate when people try to lay blame to someone.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you guys see what was beyond the "band cart"? I'm pretty sure it was a football sled or something. AND, before he even left the playing field, he was running full tilt. Aren't "elite" athlete supposed to stay in-bounds to get the touchdown? Unfortunate accidents happen all the time, and it's also unfortunate when people try to lay blame to someone.

I actually think that beyond the band cart on the sideline was a football sledhorse.

But in this case, it apparently became a case where somebody got it reversed and all wrong and...." put the cart before the horse".

Edited by BRASSO

Here's my response...

Mr. Dodd,

I resent your characterization of band members. As a jounalist, I would hope that you could refrain from stereotypes.

As a high schooler, I played basketball for Lute Olson. Shorter than most, I spent more time on the pine. But what I really excelled at was drumming. It was obvious to me that I was a much better drummer than a cager.

That doesn't mean I got off light. The mulitple tenor drums I carried and played weighed 65 pounds. I want you to consider what kind of stamina it takes to march and play for 10 hours of rehearsal a day. But let me tell you a better story.

Several years ago a member of the Bluecoats Drum and Bugle Corps from Canton, OH, (yeah, the host city of the NFL HoF) answered his country's call to duty. In the process of serving in our military, he lost half of his left foot to an anti-personnel mine. He underwent several surgeries as well as months of rehabilitation.

When he had fulfilled his service, he had one additional year of eligibility to perform with the Bluecoats at the Drum Corps International championships. He marched a full season with half a foot, playing and carrying multiple tenor drums.

While I feel for Mr. Edwards and his dilemna, it pales in comparison to this Desert Storm "band geek".

Let me also remind you that Walter Payton played in his high school band. What a "geek", eh?

I can think of any number of "band geeks" that could hand you your ###. Why not put your bias away, come meet some musical athletes and find out what you're really talking about. Until then, consider yourself uninformed.

Your letter is wonderfully eloquent. This is exactly the way we, as a community, should respond to this kind of mindless drivel. It appears this guy has a bit of a shtick going on in his writing style that requires him to bully others. Without attempting to be facetious this article would be one I would expect out of a high school news paper. That said, the dignity of the above response, and others like it are far more effective for these types of individuals than are ad homonym attacks. He must feel shamed rather than justified in his abject ignorance. :thumbup:

I actually think that beyond the band cart on the sideline was a football sledhorse.

beyond those carts is a thick concrete wall. :thumbup:

An injury is acceptable and is nothing to get worked up about unless it is caused by a band.

The band might be a good place to start because, well, they're the band.

on a serious note, he has no one to blame but himself. He practically re-enacted that scene when forest gump goes running clear off the field after a touchdown. There's a reason that in a situation like that our brain should be telling us "I should stop know because I'm already in the end zone". If his career goes down, I sorry but no pity for him. Should have stopped kid. Next time, ask for extra clearance space. :thumbup:

I gotta be honest - while his tone is pretty rude and over-the-top, I can't argue too much with his assessment. It's the common impression that sports fans have of college band members, including myself. Too often, college band members think they're the show, not the football team.

And this common impression makes it easy to place blame when something like this happens (warranted or not).

As for Dodd - the guy is paid to have and to write some bold opinions. I haven't had much of a problem with him in the past, especially compared to an incredibly bold writer like Gregg Doyel (who I really like to read).

well at least the guy doesnt write job postings for YEA

Mine was short and sweet to CBS Sports. Probably won't get a response though.

"Read Dennis Dodd's article on the injury of Patrick Edwards.

If you find no problem with Dodd's "reporting" in the article, then I suppose CBS has just become a blog with a mission statement and lost all journalistic integrity.

I will be encouraging my friends to get their news elsewhere. Good day."

beyond those carts is a thick concrete wall. :thumbup:

###### sue the contractors for putting it there... :smile: