Dennis Dodd... again?

Football coach orders players to run through corps during run-through, injuring two corps members: article

It's just so unfortunate that this sort of thing still occurs and that a few Jr. football coaches tend to encourage it. I've worked at schools that have great relations between football and band. I've also worked at schools where the football coaches were openly hostile to the music program, but insisted they play the fight song every-time a touchdown was scored. Makes you wonder how much of this behavior is simple ignorance and how much may be a symptom of roid-rage. It's more and more prevalent in sports at all levels these days. Everybody who has spent time in drum corps has the "aggressive football team" story to tell.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just so unfortunate that this sort of thing still occurs and that a few Jr. football coaches tend to encourage it. I've worked at schools that have great relations between football and band. I've also worked at schools where the football coaches were openly hostile to the music program, but insisted they play the fight song every-time a touchdown was scored. Makes you wonder how much of this behavior is simple ignorance and how much may be a symptom of roid-rage. It's more and more prevalent in sports at all levels these days. Everybody who has spent time in drum corps has the "aggressive football team" story to tell.

Not me....BD never had that problem in 84, nor Dagenham in 86, or Empire in 87...SoCal Dream DID have some ticked off neighbors in 04 and 06, but that's almost expected.

you know, I'm not normally one to take things so personally. I remember last week the marching community was buzzing about the Dennis Dodd article that somehow made it onto CBS Sports. After such an offensive article, and the undeniable backlash he received from band "dorks" around the world, I think almost everyone was at least expected him to lay off the subject, if not apologize. Dennis Dodd did the exact opposite. He continued attacking.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/11876890

I mean, how is this happening? I understand one article is one thing, but when is enough going to be enough for CBS to at least talk to this dude?

this guy is so cool i bet him and his imaginary friends get a kick from his comments.

He's a troll. What do you expect? The more he writes this nonsense, the more people feed it with angry letters and blog posts linking it. Ignore this fool and he'll move on to something else, but unless you think you're seriously going to change his mind (which you're not) you're wasting your time.

He's a troll. What do you expect? The more he writes this nonsense, the more people feed it with angry letters and blog posts linking it. Ignore this fool and he'll move on to something else, but unless you think you're seriously going to change his mind (which you're not) you're wasting your time.

I understand that. He's an idiot. There's absolutely no denying that. The biggest thing I'm worked up about is the fact that CBS is letting this slop get posted on their site.

Hey, can someone c/p the article? Everytime you go to their site they get money...and we dont want that.

Plus, my cell isnt opening the page ;-)

you know, I'm not normally one to take things so personally. I remember last week the marching community was buzzing about the Dennis Dodd article that somehow made it onto CBS Sports. After such an offensive article, and the undeniable backlash he received from band "dorks" around the world, I think almost everyone was at least expected him to lay off the subject, if not apologize. Dennis Dodd did the exact opposite. He continued attacking.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/11876890

I mean, how is this happening? I understand one article is one thing, but when is enough going to be enough for CBS to at least talk to this dude?

In hindsight, it might have been better for overly sensitive fans to ignore Dodd.

The best thing to happen to a sportswriter is to generate controversy and thus responses to his comments. They thrive in that environment and adverttisers love that.

But if Dodd made his comments and people mostly yawned, you can bet your life that would be the end of the story. And too many non responsive articles doesn't keep a sportswriter on his job for long.

Sportwriters live and breath controversy. They WANT a rise out of people. If all they wrote was puff pieces that said good things about everything and with no biting remarks meant to provoke, they'd be out on the street. That's why ( in my opinion ) his initial writing should have generated a collective yawn from Drum Corps fans everywhere as he would have not have kept the issue alive for non drum corps fans who might not have read his initial swipe.

Edited by BRASSO

I understand that. He's an idiot. There's absolutely no denying that. The biggest thing I'm worked up about is the fact that CBS is letting this slop get posted on their site.

But that's exactly it: he's driving hits. They want stuff like this because it brings it more readers, defenders and detractors, in to read it and to build their advertising dollars. It's like calling in to yell at a shock jock because you think you can actually get him to see the error of his ways: he's just saying all that stuff so that people will pay attention to him. Ignore him and he'll soon turn his attention elsewhere.