DCI Pittsburgh Review

I posted this on the main discussion forum...thought it should go here too!

A few short thoughts on Pittsburgh:

Star Spangled Banner - Dreadful! I feel bad for the HS girl who "sang" this...yikes. Sadly, I didn't get a picture...nor a recording.

Capital Regiment - Great to see the team back on the field! I felt the beginning and ending impacts of "The Storm" were very good, but the drumline (IMO) was the obvious strength of the corps...I mean...the line even picks up flags! Talk about multiple responsibilities! Cap Reg has a LOT to fill in, but I'm just excited to see them back!

uto.jpg

The Colts - I love the corps proper's uniforms...just incredibly striking! Opening impact of "Fathoms" knocks you back a bit! I actually enjoyed the use of electronics tonight from the Red Team. Added a lot of bottom where needed, but not overdone. "SOS" was very cool! It's going to be fun watching this show develop this season.

68w.jpg

Boston Crusaders - Really digging the new uniforms, which are a throw back look with white plumes, white sashes. "The Core of Temptation" starts with a wonderfully articulated statement from the horns. This line is LOUD! Thought there were a bit too many "risque" moments with the guard character...but heck, the show's about temptation. Got a bit trashy, I thought. I liked the apple bite...audience thought it was funny. Great push to company front toward end

jvc.jpg

INT - Long show this year...I wonder if they will have time to clean?

Glassmen - Not buying the corps proper's uniforms...nor the guard's uniforms...might just be me. Corps proper's uniforms have interesting triangle detailing down the left upper leg, but seems to accentual hips and distracts my eye. It's one thing to have a clean line, but triangles...hmm. Corps starts end zone to end zone, starting with a snare solo...motivating movement across the corps. "The Journey of ONE" becomes very clear with many guard solo moments, as well as horn visual/musical solos. I thought the impact at the end of the opener was very LOUD, but with some loss of control. The drill design and staging was very intuitive, and seems better than recent years. Crowd got up for biggest standing O of the night (up to that point) at the end. Great vehicle and keeps to the Glassmen roots we all know and love.

bkni.jpg

Carolina Crown - After a 20 minute delay, or so, Carolina Crown takes the field with "The Grass is Always Greener." Now, this isn't the same show as the past two years. I was skeptical after viewing on Fan Network this weekend (maybe the poor camera work/craptastic streaming quality), but this corps translates extremely well live! Some entrance issues in Promise of Living intro, but overall this intro really sets the mood. Announcer timing was on tonight, with the Promise hit really showcasing Crown's unbelievable timbre and tone quality, as well as sound PROJECTION! One (of the MANY) thing I appreciate about this show, outside of the ridiculous musical qualities and transitions, is the level of visual demand and responsibility represented in the hornline. This corps' incorporation of dance into the entire visual program is impressive, and I would have to think that dance is a serious part of the visual technique. Now, this does present somewhat of a clarity issue now...but come August it will be crystal clear, I have NO doubt. I really dig the "storm" section (after Promise). Be sure to watch the hornline doing some crazy, hurricane-/tornado-like drill here. Very cool!

I got my only goosebumps of the night during the Somewhere/Over the Rainbow hit. Maybe it's because I'm a Cavalier alum and Rainbow has a special place in my heart, but I think it's because the corps just flat out PERFORMED! Just can't get over the musicianship on constant display during this show. Oh, and the morph back to Promise of Living at the end is genius! Well played, Crown, well played (literally, figuratively)!

v8ys.jpg

Holy Name - Initial impressions were that the corps wasn't on tonight. Music ensemble clarity issues, attacks, balance. I can appreciate WSS, but the opening is just blah. From a marching technique perspective, it's hard to beat Holy Name...the uniform helps display the great approach to their marching style. And boy do they march...especially at the end of the opener and closer (new, tonight was first time performed!). But when seeing Crown and Cadets back-to-back, I just couldn't help but notice that band-body appears to be an after-thought (enough hyphens...I know). Also, Cadets' hornline visuals seem very contrived and forced. Musically and visually, this show seems very piecemeal. Surely, transitions are to be worked out, but those bad transitions (almost between each mov't) are glaringly obvious. Does anyone else feel like Cadets are just trying to ram DRUMCORPS down our throats? Yes, they march and play well. But I get it already...

Oh, and hearing Crown and Cadets on the same instruments, Cadets really sound harsh and "laser-like" compared to the finesse and power displayed by Crown's hornline.

I can tell this is going to be a fan favorite, and the ending will be Classic (full of drill moves that SCREAM Cadets...err, Holy Name!). I might end up loving this show, but right now...third show of the season..."WSS: Celebration and Conflict" is not doing it for me. We all know how Cadets are known for pushing to the end of the season. This show will be a beast by August.

aggy.jpg

Overall - I thought Crown should have edged out Holy Name tonight. But, as I'm sure HN will clean up the ending (and show) & Crown will get better and more developed - each will be a contender on my birthday...August 8.

You can check out my Twitter stream @Chris_Lugo for more photos and short comments regarding the show!

Chris - thanks for the review!

One question... You said that HNC performed their ending... DID THEY DO A Z-PULL???

Excellent review, and thanks for including the photos.

Just wondering...how come no photo of INT?

Fran

Crown 2007 was on to something that I was hoping they would go after again this year. They had humor, story and very creative drill. I know you can't always reproduce that kind of thing every year, but I miss that fun and surprise that made their 2007 show so entertaining and a joy to watch each time. They earned the Disney Award that year, miles ahead of everyone else. It will always be one of my favorites.

Thanks for the review and photos.

Crown 2007 was on to something that I was hoping they would go after again this year. They had humor, story and very creative drill. I know you can't always reproduce that kind of thing every year, but I miss that fun and surprise that made their 2007 show so entertaining and a joy to watch each time. They earned the Disney Award that year, miles ahead of everyone else. It will always be one of my favorites.

Buuuuuuut.....doing a show like 2007 isn't going to win a championship. Which is sad to say because I did enjoy the 2007 show. But I know a lot of people would rather see crown take a title now, and then go back to a show like 07 later.

Thanks for the review!