Pioneer 2009

Well... all I and the majority of drum corps fans and vets wish you and the

2009 version of your corps good-luck.

Speaking for MYSELF , I just wish that Pio would open the door a little on the music

side. ALL corps' members get great marching experience all summer long.

ALL corps' members put in long hours and work tediously towards perfection.

ALL corps' members push themselves as hard as they can..

There really is no difference between corps' 1 and 2....

For some members, I feel that if they cant make corps A or B, then maybe

they should tryout for Pio.. after all, you'll get a great education.

Yes.. you will..... HOWEVER... education doesnt mean that this corps has to continue

to do Irish theories... year after year..... only marching sex A in the guard....etc...

All corps will more then likely give you a great education and a summer you will never

forget. I just wish for the members of Pio, those who "ended up there" will not regret

this summer.

I marched Blue Stars 1982.. we had a very small corps that year, and it got REALLY OLD

losing or coming in last at each performance.... I dont think it's fair for paying members

that either end up in Pio or choose to be there ... have to HAVE THIS EXPERIENCE, BECAUSE

OF A DIRECTER that HAS CHOSEN TO DIRECT HIS CORPS IN HIS WAY OR NO WAY.

peace everyone !

Mike

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son is a Rookie with Pioneer this year playing baritone. His primary instrument is snare drum but he didn't quite make the drum line. The staff talked with him and asked if he would be interested in trying another instrument this year. They select the kids for the corps as much for attitude and willingness to learn as the talent they have. That is not a bad thing.

A persons character is also very important to this organization and they stay true to their roots. Remember, they started out as a parish Drum and Bugle Corps. Going to church on Sundays is part of their culture and I, as a parent, totally agree with them.

Pioneer is more of a teaching organization than most corps. Their instructors take time individually with the kids to bring them along both musically and development of character. Someone earlier said that there should be more drum corps like Pioneer. I totally agree but in this day and age, people just don't want to take the time to teach, and that's a shame.

The family of Pioneer is a true plus for the younger kids, and foreign kids, that they accept each year. And yes, they do ask kids to leave who do not have the correct attitude. Pioneer may not finish above last place in the rankings this year but every kid that is participating in that organization will leave the summer stronger, smarter and will have had an absolute blast because they were able to perform.

I praise Roman for his approach to directing a Drum and Bugle Corps. He is a legend and a very caring person. By the way, my son was fifteen this April and will be a freshman in High School. How many other World Class Corps would accept someone so young.

GO PIONEER!!!!

Well... all I and the majority of drum corps fans and vets wish you and the

2009 version of your corps good-luck.

Speaking for MYSELF , I just wish that Pio would open the door a little on the music

side. ALL corps' members get great marching experience all summer long.

ALL corps' members put in long hours and work tediously towards perfection.

ALL corps' members push themselves as hard as they can..

There really is no difference between corps' 1 and 2....

For some members, I feel that if they cant make corps A or B, then maybe

they should tryout for Pio.. after all, you'll get a great education.

Yes.. you will..... HOWEVER... education doesnt mean that this corps has to continue

to do Irish theories... year after year..... only marching sex A in the guard....etc...

All corps will more then likely give you a great education and a summer you will never

forget. I just wish for the members of Pio, those who "ended up there" will not regret

this summer.

I marched Blue Stars 1982.. we had a very small corps that year, and it got REALLY OLD

losing or coming in last at each performance.... I dont think it's fair for paying members

that either end up in Pio or choose to be there ... have to HAVE THIS EXPERIENCE, BECAUSE

OF A DIRECTER that HAS CHOSEN TO DIRECT HIS CORPS IN HIS WAY OR NO WAY.

OK, now I'm confused. Playing only Irish music causes your corps to place low?

If your theory is correct, this is the year Pioneer will move up. I heard there's a corps (Spirit) whose music all comes from the same state - that's even more limiting. :unhappy:

My son is a Rookie with Pioneer this year playing baritone. His primary instrument is snare drum but he didn't quite make the drum line. The staff talked with him and asked if he would be interested in trying another instrument this year. They select the kids for the corps as much for attitude and willingness to learn as the talent they have. That is not a bad thing.

A persons character is also very important to this organization and they stay true to their roots. Remember, they started out as a parish Drum and Bugle Corps. Going to church on Sundays is part of their culture and I, as a parent, totally agree with them.

Pioneer is more of a teaching organization than most corps. Their instructors take time individually with the kids to bring them along both musically and development of character. Someone earlier said that there should be more drum corps like Pioneer. I totally agree but in this day and age, people just don't want to take the time to teach, and that's a shame.

The family of Pioneer is a true plus for the younger kids, and foreign kids, that they accept each year. And yes, they do ask kids to leave who do not have the correct attitude. Pioneer may not finish above last place in the rankings this year but every kid that is participating in that organization will leave the summer stronger, smarter and will have had an absolute blast because they were able to perform.

I praise Roman for his approach to directing a Drum and Bugle Corps. He is a legend and a very caring person. By the way, my son was fifteen this April and will be a freshman in High School. How many other World Class Corps would accept someone so young.

GO PIONEER!!!!

I agree with 95% of what you are saying. My daughter marched Pioneer last season. She was taken in the guard at the same age as your son with absolutely no experience. She would not have had that opportunity in any other World Class Corps that I am aware of. Because of the opportunity she was given with the Pioneer she fell in love with the activity and continued on in an independent winterguard. She made the decision this year to march in another drum and bugle corps. She made that decision in spite of the fact that she had a very rich experience with the corps last season. I would have supported her decision to return to the Pioneer or move on. After a long winter of deliberation she decided to move on. You are so correct about the Pioneer being a true plus for the younger kids they accept. I know Donny took a whole bunch of kids from the percussion last year and taught them how to play a horn. So that doesn't surprise me that they are continuing to do that. There are other corps that do take the time to teach but they are of the open class variety and not nearly as available as they were "back in the day." Where I do disagree with you is about the Church. My daughter is not of the same faith and should not have been required to attend services if she chose not to. However, with that being said, in no way did that have anything to do with her choice to move on. I hope the Pioneer have an outstanding year! Although I haven't seen them yet this year it sounds like they are starting off stronger than they have in a while. GL PIO!

Edited by bmroth1

Will we see Pioneer pull out of last?

Please keep negative comments to yourself. I would like this to be discussion.

Uh, OK. If we can only say yes or no, and you don't want "no" since it's a negative, then I say...YES! :)

Strange thread...

GO PIONEER!!!!

Hey! Great to see another Kansas parent here. I don't think there are very many Kansas kids marching corps, so it's great to see another one added to the small mix we have.

In reference to your post above, my son started in Blue Stars at 13 and had two other corpsmates the same age as him in 2006. He and one of the others are still there. I know of at least two 15 year olds in their hornline this year, and both kids are great members.

... Where I do disagree with you is about the Church. My daughter is not of the same faith and should not have been required to attend services if she chose not to.

Having marched Pioneer for 2 years I can confidently say that Pioneer does not push religion onto its members. It's tradition, as previously stated, and not much more than that. Roman only asks that members dress up a little bit to show a little class and that they sit there politely. It's not about making the members listen to the sermon or even pay attention. The general consensus was that an hour and a half each week sitting in a church wasn't gonna kill anyone and aside from that hour and a half, church wasn't talked about by anyone.

Also, you talk about members wanting to compete and such and there is some of that mentality but you gotta remember that Pioneer marchers really do believe in seeing their scores consistently. If they can get close to someone or even beat another corps that adds that much more excitement but it is genuinely satisfying just to see those scores improve and to know that the hard work you're putting in is getting noticed and rewarded. Everything else is icing on the cake.

Having marched Pioneer for 2 years I can confidently say that Pioneer does not push religion onto its members. It's tradition, as previously stated, and not much more than that. Roman only asks that members dress up a little bit to show a little class and that they sit there politely. It's not about making the members listen to the sermon or even pay attention. The general consensus was that an hour and a half each week sitting in a church wasn't gonna kill anyone and aside from that hour and a half, church wasn't talked about by anyone.

Also, you talk about members wanting to compete and such and there is some of that mentality but you gotta remember that Pioneer marchers really do believe in seeing their scores consistently. If they can get close to someone or even beat another corps that adds that much more excitement but it is genuinely satisfying just to see those scores improve and to know that the hard work you're putting in is getting noticed and rewarded. Everything else is icing on the cake.

Well, I guess we'll just agree to disagree on the Church point. I don't want to get into a debating match with you about it.

On your second point I'm not sure what your referencing here or if you felt I said something other than what you have mentioned? Just not clear.

Church or not, Pioneer kids get what we got when we wanted to be a member of a quality drum corps. Obviously if it was up to most of the staff, the corps would be rehearsing. We just accept as a part of any given Sunday, but also needs to be clear that it is not EVERY given Sunday. There isnt any specific faith or religion involved whatsoever. The churches are mostly random.

I may be a bit of a dinosaur in this activity and have spent many of my drum corps years in other circuits besides DCI, but Pioneer gives the students a life experience similar to what I got as a fledgling in a parish corps from upstate NY in the 60' and 70's. We took kids off the street and became national contenders, we taught kids by rote then note, to become fantastic horn players and drummers. , and I challenge any other DCI corps to do the same thing. Yes we are a teaching corps and it is unfortunate that many students get their skills developed at Pioneer and go somewhere else when they are ready, but if that is the purpose of Pioneer, so be it.

Ed, your son has lost 40 pounds and is playing the hell out of that baritone! He smiles all the time because he is your living legacy and he talks about you to other students and staff. That he can fulfill this dream and follow in your footsteps is a pleasure to enjoy. We call him one of our infamous "SNARE-ITONES". That defines someone cut from the snare line that was willing to try the baritone for a year in order to be in the corps and develop more skills to try again next year for his position of choice.

Pioneer is good for my soul, truthfully! I get to teach kids that want to learn about drum corps that cant do it anywhere else. Sure I argue with Roman about many things, but as he says, when I have my own corps I can run it the way I want.

I agree with the posters that said there should be more corps like Pioneer. There were many more like them when there were 100's of corps competing instead of 21.

I have those kids chanting that we are going to beat BLUE ROCK at the next show. I tell them about the VFW and American Legion Nationals contests and Blessed Sac, Des Plaines Vanguard, Ed's Sky Ryders and much more drum corps history. They deserve to know this type of knowledge. I actually teach the staff drum corps history if they are interested. They laugh when I talk about US Open, the World Open, the CYO Nationals and the Dream Contest.

As I am sitting home for a few days by design, I have to say I am hoping for an improved corps from when I left. I actually miss those brats.

Donny

Edited by donnymusic