Double Standard

Well DCI West is the largest show on the west coast for the entire season.

And yes, the west coast corps are more important. Maybe that's why DCI gives the west coast corps an advantage by giving them one finals location since DCI started. And if you're counting, that's still one behind Canada. Concerning the Midwest, they have had the most finals locations, DCI headquarters is located there, and they signed the deal to have finals there for the most consecutive years ever. Now I'm not really upset about any of that to be honest. I don't go on boards claiming DCI has a bias against west coast corps. DCI did what they had to do, and it was smart for them to do so. I just get a chuckle when I hear people say DCI treats west coast corps better. Boy would it be nice to have finals in your own region 8 out of 10 years though.

That's rilly pretty, but it still doesn't answer the question. Why have a full slate at one regional and an "experimental panel" for another? There are 95 per cent less shows than there were ninety years ago, so it's not like judges are turning down the work or anything...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's rilly pretty, but it still doesn't answer the question. Why have a full slate at one regional and an "experimental panel" for another? There are 95 per cent less shows than there were ninety years ago, so it's not like judges are turning down the work or anything...

I'm pretty sure there were no judges available from those shows from ninety years ago.

Maybe it is just me, DCP community is not very fond of West coast corps. Somehow, corps in the west could never measure up to those in the Midwest.

This maybe the reason why I am always happy when BD won the championship, even though I have never enjoyed their show.

Thanks for the pretty comment I guess. And I was answering the OP's questions of "is there something special about west coast corps?" and "is DCI saying that west coast events are more important?" And I didn't know Normal was the Midwest regional now. If so, then maybe they should of had a full panel. Or maybe the full panel schedule started yesterday as someone mentioned earlier?

What I want to know is why there are 5 reviews of the Stanford show and only one of the Normal show. :tongue:

Hey, I do what I can. :thumbup:

So - seriously -

Do you really think the number of judges (5 vs. 8) - or more appropriately, the slight differences in the scoring systems using 5 vs. 8 - is going to change the ultimate outcome (either the ranking or the rating) of the corps on the field for this one night?

In other words, do you think that the Blue Devils would have scored something significantly different than 80.85?

Do you think that BK would have beaten Bluecoats or that Bluecoats would have caught SCV?

In Open Class, would VK have jumped up over Vanguard Cadets or BDB?

As for feedback to the corps, in the first week or so of the season, do you really need a field judge saying "your feet are dirty"? Isn't that a given at this point in the season?

DCI has to make money to keep going.

Where is the largest concentration of corps?

Where is the largest concentration of fans?

Can the west coast compare with the sheer numbers

of corps and fans that live in the upper Midwest down to

Texas?

How much does DCI save by having finals in Indy

for a decade?

Time will tell....but you have to go to where the money is!

I would tho like to see DCI do much more to broadcast

via pay to view, the finals.

It would be good for the fans who can't afford to travel.

Well DCI West is the largest show on the west coast for the entire season.

And yes, the west coast corps are more important. Maybe that's why DCI gives the west coast corps an advantage by giving them one finals location since DCI started. And if you're counting, that's still one behind Canada. Concerning the Midwest, they have had the most finals locations, DCI headquarters is located there, and they signed the deal to have finals there for the most consecutive years ever. Now I'm not really upset about any of that to be honest. I don't go on boards claiming DCI has a bias against west coast corps. DCI did what they had to do, and it was smart for them to do so. I just get a chuckle when I hear people say DCI treats west coast corps better. Boy would it be nice to have finals in your own region 8 out of 10 years though.

:thumbup::tongue: :tongue:

Amusing, profound and extremely accurate. I applaud you!

Although it's pretty clear that California is too isolated (distance wise) for a more aggressive season schedule, the fact is that many more showed up for the Finals in Pasadena then Indiana. That might change this year in Indy, but my guess is that Pasadena will remain one of the most attended finals. It's just a matter of dense population and interest. We'll see. :worthy: