The Erie Conspiracy

From the Holy Name Cadets history website (www.theholynamecadets.org) posted JUNE 24, 2009

I have a little story I’d like to share. Last year in Bloomington at the DCI Compeitions, I happened to be outside the stadium as the ageouts from all the DCI corps were assembling by their entry gate for the ceremony that was about to be held to honor them. Something immediately drew my attention. Most of the members of the various corps were clustered together; Cavaliers here, Blue Devils there,..same for Phantom, Blue Coats…in fact, it was that way for almost every corps, with one exception: The Cadets and Crown were in a mixed cluster, all intermingled; laughing, talking, exchanging cell phone numbers... It kind of blew my mind. Not that corps-to-corps friendships are all that unusual, nor is staying in a tight group with other members of your corps who you had just spent some very important years of your life with, but I thought that the interaction I was observing between the Cadets and Crown was kind of special. If you recall, at the beginning of the 2008 season the Cadets were beating Crown pretty regularly, then the tide turned and Crown took the lead right up to and including the championships. Both corps left it on the field however. I was truly impressed. This year, once again, both corps are at each other on the field , but I’m told, and I hope I was given good information (which I believe I was) that both corps are still leaving it on the field, and that they respect and sincerely like each other both as corps and as individuals. When you go on DCP it’s very easy to get just the opposite idea. Some (repeat some...not all) of the fans, and parents, and alumni. on both sides of the fence, understandably are very partisan in their comments, sometimes with an anti-the-other- corps bite to them. I’m a Cadet. Alumnus. Of course my loyalty and support is 100% maroon. But like our 2008 and 2009 Holy Name Cadets, I have nothing but respect and admiration for Crown. I believe most Cadets and Cadet Alumni feel that way. I hope they know that. FHNSAB…

Agreed.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Holy Name Cadets history website (www.theholynamecadets.org) posted JUNE 24, 2009

I have a little story I’d like to share. Last year in Bloomington at the DCI Compeitions, I happened to be outside the stadium as the ageouts from all the DCI corps were assembling by their entry gate for the ceremony that was about to be held to honor them. Something immediately drew my attention. Most of the members of the various corps were clustered together; Cavaliers here, Blue Devils there,..same for Phantom, Blue Coats…in fact, it was that way for almost every corps, with one exception: The Cadets and Crown were in a mixed cluster, all intermingled; laughing, talking, exchanging cell phone numbers... It kind of blew my mind. Not that corps-to-corps friendships are all that unusual, nor is staying in a tight group with other members of your corps who you had just spent some very important years of your life with, but I thought that the interaction I was observing between the Cadets and Crown was kind of special. If you recall, at the beginning of the 2008 season the Cadets were beating Crown pretty regularly, then the tide turned and Crown took the lead right up to and including the championships. Both corps left it on the field however. I was truly impressed. This year, once again, both corps are at each other on the field , but I’m told, and I hope I was given good information (which I believe I was) that both corps are still leaving it on the field, and that they respect and sincerely like each other both as corps and as individuals. When you go on DCP it’s very easy to get just the opposite idea. Some (repeat some...not all) of the fans, and parents, and alumni. on both sides of the fence, understandably are very partisan in their comments, sometimes with an anti-the-other- corps bite to them. I’m a Cadet. Alumnus. Of course my loyalty and support is 100% maroon. But like our 2008 and 2009 Holy Name Cadets, I have nothing but respect and admiration for Crown. I believe most Cadets and Cadet Alumni feel that way. I hope they know that. FHNSAB…

Absolutely. People used to try and pit us against BD in 95'. I made some cool friends from Blue Devils that summer. We used to get together for Ice Cream and Nacho's and all was good. Funny how the people outside like to make things out to be more than what they are.

FHNSAB

eager to see how the cavaliers do tonight. they break 80 and they are in it as well.

I believe they are still in it. They only came in 2nd to one corps (I think?). I'm sure they'll be working on it.

Funny how it took until the end for someone to post what really happens "inside" the activity. Not everyone is a hater, and not everyone is a lover for that matter. A great reflection of the two organizations (Cadets and Crown) and the management of same, that the corps can compete hard on the field, and still respect each other when it is all said-and-done. We could use a little more of this in the rest of the world....

Think aout this - how many watch the MLB All-Star game and see Yankee players hangin with Red Sox players? Happens each year, and works for other teams as well. They want to beat each other bad when the "game is on", but the respect the other players when it is time to chill......Except for A-Rod of course :worthy:

Here's to a great rest of the season!

I think the ascendancy of the Crown over the last few years and the competition we are seeing between them and previous champions is one of the most exciting things to happen to the upper ranks in years.

hey, I just found out tonight that I'm a borg! I like new words.

welcome. You are assimilated.... your knowledge will be added to the collective.

Edited by Borg Bari

I love my corps, Carolina Crown. I am honored to have marched with them, volunteered for them. It is a special honor that I was a charter member of Crown.

However, I also have much respect for Holy Name. I was a fan of theirs before Crown was around, and they were one of the corps that I looked up to when I came into the activity as a fan, much longer before I ever marched.

I wish them, and every other corps a blessed safe, competitive and fun season. They are all experiencing the ride of a lifetime.

Crown fans, alumni, that come on this or any forum and spew anger or hatred or any ill will towards any other corps really don't understand the activity or Carolina Crown and should really re-examine themselves and what their major malfunction is.

This is the Carolina Crown, I know.

I am a crown alum and would have to say that some of the friendships I made from the Cadets over the years are ones that I cherish and will never forget! We're all kids out there to put on a show for the fans (that's everyone reading this). If our show in the end becomes a fan favorite or one the judges deem Championship worthy, so be it. That's not the important thing, it's the people you meet and relationships you build that matter. I love Crown and I love the Cadets. I LOVE DRUM CORPS!

Agreed.

I agree, too.

But on a different subject, I have a question for 2000Cadet...

Which one are you in the picture? I've seen the picture a hundred times on here. Loved the 2000 show, by the way. My wife (who marginally tolerates DCI) said in 1999 at Epcot - "This music is cool. I could picture the Cadets playing it."