Favorite 3 consecutive years of DCI

Simple question: What are your favorite 3 consecutive years of DCI and why?

My answer: 1996-1998

During this time, I thought there was a great balance between excellent music and amazing drill.

1996: Electric top six at finals. 5 full point spread between 6th and 7th made for a packed, incredibly competitive shoot-out. Madison awakening ghosts of greatness. Cadets Olympic show. And of course, "In second place, which is actually a tie for first place...", Phantom's first win. Incredible, dark sound. Amazing show.

1997: Two of my favorite shows ever (Cadets Celebration and SCV Fog City Sketches), and they both finish behind a great Blue Devils show. Crossmen crack top six with a smoking guard and a great Birdland show.

1998: Some of my favorite Cadets drill ever with Stonehinge. Probably the weakest of the 3 years.

HONORABLE MENTION: 1988-1990

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1993-1995

1993: Unbelievable year. 3rd greatest show of all time (Star). Fantastic all around shows by Cadets and Phantom. Devils' unbelievable hornline. Solid show from the Cavaliers and Scouts. Underrated show from SCV with great drumline. Fine shows outside the Top 6: BK, VK, and the Colts' first finals.

1994: 2nd greatest show of all time (Devils). Fantastic all around shows by Cadets, Phantom, Cavaliers. Tremendously enjoyable shows by SCV (great finish!), Madison (one of the best drill moves ever in the closer), and BK (still the best version of Trittico, IMO).

1995: 1-12, one of the most solid years ever. Cavaliers' visual fireworks, Cadets bass-line "leapfrog", jazz from the darkside by the Devils, possibly the most entertaining show ever (Madison 95: nothing more need be said), Phantom's "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini" (one of DCI's top moments of all time), another underrated Vanguard show (IMO), and a thoroughly fun to listen to "bottom 6": Glassmen going for baroque, Bluecoats on holiday, possibly the best Colts show ever, Crossmen doing something very different (dark symphonic music; I loved it), Crown's first finals (still one of my favorites), Magic's energetic Robert W. Smith music.

1991, 1992 and 1993. just sold shows top to bottom, especially 92

runner up 1990-1992

1987 - 1989

or

1988 - 1990

I can't decide. There are shows in 87 that can't be forgotten and likewise for 90.

I say 1983-1985...although you really can't go wrong with any 3 consecutive years in the 80's. Those 3 years are when the cadets won their 3 straight and changed the activity. Cadets, BD, and SCV really duked it out too during this time.

Hmm. My two favorite years have been 2003 and 2006, and there's no possible way to fit them in to the same three-year window. I guess I'll go with 2004-2006 as my favorite stretch.

I'd go with:

'02: For the Cavaliers, obviously.

'03: Blue Devils, obvious once again.

'04: Just an overall good year. Cavaliers, Blue Devils, and Santa Clara.

78, 79, 80.

Great shows 1 -12 each year. Demand really began to separate the "great" from the "wannabes". The bar was raised every year in terms of difficulty in drum solos, for example, and of course 1980 brought us the wonderful SCV show that really pioneered the asymmetrical drill.

I could absolutely make a good case for 83 - 85 and for 91- 93 as well.

(And yes, I know I'm old. You don't need to remind me. My kids do that job very nicely, thank you.)

Cheers!

Karen