Criticisms of Carolina Crown

Where is the articulation, where is the style, hornline seems blah the whole time.

Yes, they sound good and know how to make that wall of sound and make cords fit together but, Where are the moments where they show ARTICULATIONS.

Have you heard their whole show yet? They have a healthy dose of double-tonguing going on roughly two minutes before show's end. I find their show to have a wide variety of phrasings for the brass, frankly quite the opposite of what you describe.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if these guys were the first ones, but corps marched 16 contras/tubas as far back as 1992 Star of Indiana.

Double checked..... I stand Corrected! You are the man!

Double checked..... I stand Corrected! You are the man!

I remember it because I got on a Star kick in the winter...that 1990 show blew me away, so I started to watch all their shows (thanks Fan Network!).

1985-1987: Newbie shlock. :unhappy:

1988: Too much pink, but at least the music is serious...

1989: Getting there. Drill was disappointing (though I was told they changed a lot of it midseason).

1990: Great googly moogly! They've arrived.

1991-1993 : Awesomeness.

Wish I were old enough to have seen them live.

Well you know who Crown's brass caption head, Asst. Brass caption head, and mello tech marched with? I guess they liked the 16 tuba idea..... especially Ray.

I mean an organization that has bank off of others ideas.

They have support from South Carolina and for some reason have a large fan base.

You can bash Cavaliers and most other corps but say something about crown, o no the world will end.

I'm waiting for crown to show me something new, something new that makes sense...

In this year's show, the battery all plays in one tempo, then the basses drop out and start playing in a new tempo (while the snares and quads keep ramming in the old tempo) then the quads melt away and join the basses, then finally the snares melt out into the new tempo -- correct me if I'm wrong, but that's pretty new.

Also, in last year's ballad (Clair de Lune), it was executed so well that nobody may have noticed, but there were several spots in there where different sections were playing different songs in different tempos on the field at the same time. (Everybody plays Clair, then the front ensemble and low brass melt away into One Hand, One Heart at a different tempo while the high brass keeps playing Clair in the original tempo, then the two tunes mix back together seamlessly -- one of the examples from that piece). I'm not sure, but I don't think that's ever been done before (I haven't seen it at least).

Now whether you think either of those things make sense or not is up to you, but they did Clair beautifully (to the point that nobody would notice these multi-tempo effects without really listening extremely critically), and this year's melt away effect in the battery makes perfect sense combined with the visual program (the sections melting away join the horns playing, I believe, Promise of Living - the thing sweeps across the field).

Just the first two examples that came to mind (from the last 2 years) of things they've done that are new (as far as I know).

Star 1992.

Was that the only year Star marched 16 contras? I want to think that it is, because I remember hearing that that was the only corps ever to field 16 until Crown brought it back with the bigger numbers.

And if I recall, Linkous aged out of Star in 92 and also marched contra, so there's definitely some contra love there.

I also very much dislike their pit book.

This year specifically, since the new staff change in 07, or just in general? I think the 07 and 08 books were great (executed extremely well in 07 especially!), but I haven't seen much of them this year.

After watching Cavaliers, crowns pit just seems so boring.

The only real criticism I have is that it's kind of herky jerky. Different sections of the show just kind of start and stop. Not a whole lot of glue holding it together. That's off of recording from 2 weeks ago, though, so I'm sure that will change, or may have already. .

In this year's show, the battery all plays in one tempo, then the basses drop out and start playing in a new tempo (while the snares and quads keep ramming in the old tempo) then the quads melt away and join the basses, then finally the snares melt out into the new tempo -- correct me if I'm wrong, but that's pretty new.

Also, in last year's ballad (Clair de Lune), it was executed so well that nobody may have noticed, but there were several spots in there where different sections were playing different songs in different tempos on the field at the same time. (Everybody plays Clair, then the front ensemble and low brass melt away into One Hand, One Heart at a different tempo while the high brass keeps playing Clair in the original tempo, then the two tunes mix back together seamlessly -- one of the examples from that piece). I'm not sure, but I don't think that's ever been done before (I haven't seen it at least).

Now whether you think either of those things make sense or not is up to you, but they did Clair beautifully (to the point that nobody would notice these multi-tempo effects without really listening extremely critically), and this year's melt away effect in the battery makes perfect sense combined with the visual program (the sections melting away join the horns playing, I believe, Promise of Living - the thing sweeps across the field).

Just the first two examples that came to mind (from the last 2 years) of things they've done that are new (as far as I know).

I think Cadets did something similar in 1989 in their Les Miserables show. Yes, two songs were overlayed together. Each was played at a different tempo. One side played one song while the other side was played something different. It was a cool effect.

I'm sure Crown did something a little different, but it is sort of the same idea, perhaps refined!