Criticisms of Carolina Crown

I've been noticing people criticizing Crown on DCP the past few years. To get it all in one place, because I think it's an interesting topic, what are some of your criticisms of the corps and their shows in recent years?

My biggest criticism is that they aren't traveling to So Cal this season (of course, that's my criticism almost every year of most corps) :worthy:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest criticism is that they aren't traveling to So Cal this season (of course, that's my criticism almost every year of most corps) :worthy:

then yay bluecoats :worthy:

Edited by DCIpwnstesn00bs

One simple criticism that I only voiced once, two years ago. The corps can not march at close interval and display uniform technique, spacial and form control. That has continued to remain true.

What they've done is moved everything to 3step or larger intervals (and I'm mostly speaking of intricate forms where they are going for impact, like rotating lines or geometric reshapes). It just doesn't have the same GE and impact that tighter intervals would create, especially with their creme colors.

I just wish they marched with more control and better technique. This was my largest complain with Star for 7 years. Even the year they won, they couldn't march for squat.

Many people don't like their style of articulation, but I find it excellent. It's very light and technically very chamberesque. The exciting part is, they still allow things to fly when the time is right.

Going back to my ONE gripe .. it also involves drill design on one point (and EVERY corps is guilty of it these days). I'm sorry but I have to pull the Zingali card here. Computer generated drill was the biggest and will remain the biggest disappointment to the activity. Everything is written on the horizontal plane. No one uses a different angle of attack on the visual representation of the music. It's all straight front and BORING! Get out some drill paper and actually sketch things out and draw the dots. Use your imagination. If you want to plot it on computer after the fact, go for it. I'm just tired of having a straight front focus with the 25 to 25 and in front of the back hash only being utilized. That's another reason corps of pre 1995 sounded bigger. They used different portions of the field and the staging was FAR better for depth of voicing than it is now. Everything is effect driven and placement doesn't mean diddly anymore.

One simple criticism that I only voiced once, two years ago. The corps can not march at close interval and display uniform technique, spacial and form control. That has continued to remain true.

What they've done is moved everything to 3step or larger intervals (and I'm mostly speaking of intricate forms where they are going for impact, like rotating lines or geometric reshapes). It just doesn't have the same GE and impact that tighter intervals would create, especially with their creme colors.

I just wish they marched with more control and better technique. This was my largest complain with Star for 7 years. Even the year they won, they couldn't march for squat.

Many people don't like their style of articulation, but I find it excellent. It's very light and technically very chamberesque. The exciting part is, they still allow things to fly when the time is right.

Going back to my ONE gripe .. it also involves drill design on one point (and EVERY corps is guilty of it these days). I'm sorry but I have to pull the Zingali card here. Computer generated drill was the biggest and will remain the biggest disappointment to the activity. Everything is written on the horizontal plane. No one uses a different angle of attack on the visual representation of the music. It's all straight front and BORING! Get out some drill paper and actually sketch things out and draw the dots. Use your imagination. If you want to plot it on computer after the fact, go for it. I'm just tired of having a straight front focus with the 25 to 25 and in front of the back hash only being utilized. That's another reason corps of pre 1995 sounded bigger. They used different portions of the field and the staging was FAR better for depth of voicing than it is now. Everything is effect driven and placement doesn't mean diddly anymore.

:worthy::worthy:

Oh squiggly line in my eye fluid.

I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision.

But when I try to look at you, you scurry away.

Are you shy, squiggly line?

Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye?

Oh, squiggly line,

it's alright, you are forgiven.

I say this cause I got distracted the 5 times I saw crown already.

I'm not about to read 11 pages of complaints and pettiness. I'm just going to say that I LOVE Crown, always have and always will.

There may be a year when I don't care for their show but I sit in the stands and cheer for the members and their efforts to put on a clean, exciting show.

Oh wait, I do have a criticism. They won't offer this 49 yr old washed up horn player a contract. How awful is that?!?!

Edited by bearz

LOVE YOU CROWN!!!

Keep up the good work!!!

For me, my big gripe with Crown used to be the purple plume in an odd spot on the shako. But that got put to bed.

And then it was that they just would never beat the Cavaliers. And that got put to bed.

And then it was that they were never going to beat the Cadets. Oh, I guess that got put to bed as well.

I guess all that's left is that my obsessive fear of horses has left me shaking in my boots since being in the Rose Bowl in 2007. It's all Crown's fault.

....I've learnt not to complain b/c one instantly becomes the "Anti- (insert corps' name)" but if I was to say anything umm...in a positive criticism sorta way, I'd say the past few shows for me have been lacking visually just a bit,

I'd like to see more but not to an extreme were it impacts their amazing sound.

Crown you're very impressive to me, I love the storyline & the sound is GOLDEN. Keep up the great work.

Edited by TexasCorpsFan