Criticisms of Carolina Crown

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, a note on the topic: I could answer this topic for every other corps, including all of my favorites. I think the topic is a little slanted. Example: Don't expect a "Criticisms of Obama" to be a main topic at the Democratic National Convention.

That said, I have one main criticism of Crown amidst all of my praise. In a few quick words, the praise: Love the music. Some of the best. And this says a lot when you consider where the hornline was about 5 or 6 years ago.

Now, the criticism: No drill identity.

Or another way to say it: The drill might be difficult, but it doesn't have the visual payoff of the other top notch corps. I know what Cadet drill will look like (love it). I know what Cavaliers drill will look like (love it). I know what Blue Devils drill will look like, at least since 1994 (it's growing on me).

Yet, Crown drill seems a bit muddled, even when clean. The difficult moves lack the clarity of the Cavies or the ferocity of the Cadets. I never once remember having a Crown move leave my mouth gaping, as happens quite frequently with the other guys.

Ok, as if any of you really care....I thought I could read thru these comments with an open mind but for the most part you people are vicious!! Geez, I did read the title of the thread but I had no idea....and to think there is another thread going on right now entitled "crown fans pushing me away"

Ok, as if any of you really care....I thought I could read thru these comments with an open mind but for the most part you people are vicious!! Geez, I did read the title of the thread but I had no idea....and to think there is another thread going on right now entitled "crown fans pushing me away"

Welcome to DCP mom.... most of us are morons :)

Vicious? No one is being vicious here. None of these posts are in violation of any of the forum guidelines. I really wish people wouldn't take every little critical comment of the corps to be a direct attack on their child.

crown has had great shows in the past that i thought were just plan amazing... there 08 show was just great awesome music and drill design... this years show well there music to me doesn't have that impact moment where my mouth is hanging down to the ground... they sound very pretty this year... for my taste a little to pretty... i like the fact that they are playing zion... and some where over the rainbow... (what do you expect im a cavie fan...) i will say this... what ever they are doing the judges like... personally i like the cavaliers and phantom regiments show more this year... i just dont think that crown over all will win in finals...

crown has had great shows in the past that i thought were just plan amazing... there 08 show was just great awesome music and drill design... this years show well there music to me doesn't have that impact moment where my mouth is hanging down to the ground... they sound very pretty this year... for my taste a little to pretty... i like the fact that they are playing zion... and some where over the rainbow... (what do you expect im a cavie fan...) i will say this... what ever they are doing the judges like... personally i like the cavaliers and phantom regiments show more this year... i just dont think that crown over all will win in finals...

Now you will be told you are mean to Crown.....They should look back at the post from last year when mean was the Cadets! Now the cadets give them the show of all shows and they are not getting credit for what they are doing! Come on Judges!!!

HEY!!! Stop attacking crown! This minute! Or I'm going to find you and PHYSICALLY attack you!

/sarcasm off!

Not funny?

OPEN LETTER TO CAROLINA CROWN PARENTS AND FANS:

In light of the "going's on" :worthy: witnessed in these past days involving your "exceptional" corps and fans of other such exceptional corps...I offer you this advice. Embrace the Criticism! Give it a big, wet hug...(actually, I think that freightens it :worthy: )! Afterall, we BD'ers got the T-shirt (in fact, the #### thing is so old and tattered, it looks like it's been in a Michael Jackson video!). Over the years, we've discovered that it serves no purpose to fight it, it's like being in an undertow (the only way out is to swim with the current). The truth is, in a very odd way it's a type of compliment. In the end, my fervent hope for you (and your corps) is that you continue to be the object of wide-spread bashing, maligning, hurtful comments and other such baseless tripe designed to dim your spirits and somehow make your accomplishments less than what they are. Just see it for what it is: a recognition that you have arrived! Welcome to the top of the pile (or at least "near" the top of the pile...I had to say that!) Chill out, pop a cold one and do your damnedest to stay here, afterall...that's really the hard part. Congrats!

Edited by Plan9

That was not vicious. It was a mild, constructive criticism of Crown's visual program. I disagree with it (for this year's show, at least) "Vicious" would sound something like "Crown's drill has all the grace and power of a cow patty. I hope the entire staff and membership spontaneously combust so that their shameful display of visual incompetence does not continue to debase our activity."

Here's a few more examples of the difference between vicious and non-vicious remarks:

Vicious: "I hate Crown with all of my heart, mind, body, and soul."

Not vicious: "I personally don't care for Crown's style. Just not my cup of tea."

Vicious: "I hate puppies so much that I sometimes break into the animal shelter just to bludgeon 10 or 12 of them to death."

Not vicious: "I'm not really a dog person."

As for my own criticisms of Crown, I have only one: Lose the green tentacles growing out of the uniforms. Other than that, you have a championship caliber show. And I hope you do win, because you're the South's best hope for a championship. It's been a painfully long wait since that's been a possibility!

Edited by Rifuarian

OPEN LETTER TO CAROLINA CROWN PARENTS AND FANS:

In light of the "going's on" :worthy: witnessed in these past days involving your "exceptional" corps and fans of other such exceptional corps...I offer you this advice. Embrace the Criticism! Give it a big, wet hug...(actually, I think that freightens it :worthy: )! Afterall, we BD'ers got the T-shirt (in fact, the #### thing is so old and tattered, it looks like it's been in a Michael Jackson video!). Over the years, we've discovered that it serves no purpose to fight it, it's like being in an undertow (the only way out is to swim with the current). The truth is, in a very odd way it's a type of compliment. In the end, my fervent hope for you (and your corps) is that you continue to be the object of wide-spread bashing, maligning, hurtful comments and other such baseless tripe designed to dim your spirits and somehow make your accomplishments less than what they are. Just see it for what it is: a recognition that you have arrived! Welcome to the top of the pile (or at least "near" the top of the pile...I had to say that!) Chill out, pop a cold one and do your damnedest to stay here, afterall...that's really the hard part. Congrats!

Well played! My dad and you have a lot in common, both drunks! No, but really! Thanks for all the compliments, if that's what we're calling them, and I can't wait to have my corps complimented all season! Pass me a cold one Plan9!!! :worthy: