Criticisms of Carolina Crown

It seems to me that they are almost ripping off other corps' repertoires. Specifically, it rubs me the wrong way that they are playing "Somewhere Over The Rainbow". Excuse me, but isn't that song the trademark of the Cavaliers???

It would be like the Cadets playing "When You Wish Upon a Star" when Star of Indiana was still in DCI. Can you imagine that???

I like the rest of the show, but the unoriginality is taking it down a notch for me.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that they are almost ripping off other corps' repertoires. Specifically, it rubs me the wrong way that they are playing "Somewhere Over The Rainbow". Excuse me, but isn't that song the trademark of the Cavaliers???

It would be like the Cadets playing "When You Wish Upon a Star" when Star of Indiana was still in DCI. Can you imagine that???

I like the rest of the show, but the unoriginality is taking it down a notch for me.

since when do the cavaliers own somewhere over the raibow?? its one of the most popular songs in our culture and is the crux of crowns show, i bet the cavaliers have no issue, many cavies love that crown is playing rainbow..geez....

unoriginal?? i thought drum corps was tired of original music? isnt that why cavies dropped saucedo? now they have real music, engulfed cathedral... which crown played in 03, which i preffered to the cavies arrangement. The great divide, emerald marquis won with this piece in 99 winterguard famous. no one is saying that is unoriginal.

its sad when trying to poke holes in great design, all you can do is say unoriginal music...mmmm

I'm not really sure why people would want to be critical of Crown. I haven't seen them live, but what I've heard online sounds and looks better than they've ever been before. You may not like what it is that they are playing this year, but they don't pigeon hole themselves into being "this" or "that" from year to year like most every other corps does. It sounds like people are dying for Crown to get an identity like the other big boys (and girls-not to be gender biased). Why not just let them evolve and appreciate them for what they are, which last I checked was something that is pretty #### good. I think it's awesome they are beating Phantom, Cavies, and Cadets. It may take them years to finally over take them to win a championship, but how many years did it take those corps to win? I say let them progress in peace.

I'm not really sure why people would want to be critical of Crown.

Because they are winning. They've beaten three DCI Champions (including the defending Champion) in the past week or so, and are widening the gap against their competition. When a corps is the 'under dog,' everyone loves them and hopes they can pull off the "storybook season." When the corps starts beating old-time favorites, fans get critical.

Whatever: I'm sure Crown and their fans will GLADLY take criticism when it comes with competitive success.

Because they are winning. They've beaten three DCI Champions (including the defending Champion) in the past week or so, and are widening the gap against their competition. When a corps is the 'under dog,' everyone loves them and hopes they can pull off the "storybook season." When the corps starts beating old-time favorites, fans get critical.

Whatever: I'm sure Crown and their fans will GLADLY take criticism when it comes with competitive success.

I take all the criticism AND the approval as they come...then say, tomorrow is another day!

Anything can happen in this sport, and it will over the long season! Lets just take what people have to say, and move on!

Great job tonight Crown and Cadets and BAC and Jersey Surf!!!

One thing that really upsets me is that many of the attacks and flaming that the drum corps itself gets is because of over-zealous Crown fans who find it necessary to come on here and post stupid, giddy comments and throw insults at some other drum corps. Crown itself is FULL of incredible people, and is a family-oriented organization that strives to be professional at all times, which is why they have gotten where they are. Its quite sad to see their reputation sometimes become tarnished because of the unwise choices that the fans make.

It really started to affect me when I saw posts such as Chaos001's "I hate Crown"...come on...really?

You all need to really let up on this. It's not fair. Crown fans are no different than anyone else. I could say the same for almost every other corps. Who cares what people say? Why do you let it bother you so much. It's lame that people let fans tarnish their reputation.

That said, I have no problems with Crown. I have loved them since 2006. In fact, until this year, that 2006 was my favorite Crown show. This one seems more in line with '06 than '07 or '08, which makes me really happy. I think they have an awesome product this year, and it is very demanding - both visually and musically.

Personally, I am pulling for Crown, Vanguard, Regiment, Cadets and Madison this year. They are my Fav 5 and although I wish every corps the best - I hope these five have spectacular seasons.

I'll end with - no one on here should let what anyone says about any corps diminish their enjoyment of that corps. No one on here speaks for an entire organization.

since when do the cavaliers own somewhere over the raibow?? its one of the most popular songs in our culture and is the crux of crowns show, i bet the cavaliers have no issue, many cavies love that crown is playing rainbow..geez....

unoriginal?? i thought drum corps was tired of original music? isnt that why cavies dropped saucedo? now they have real music, engulfed cathedral... which crown played in 03, which i preffered to the cavies arrangement. The great divide, emerald marquis won with this piece in 99 winterguard famous. no one is saying that is unoriginal.

its sad when trying to poke holes in great design, all you can do is say unoriginal music...mmmm

True. But the Scouts don't own Malaguena and everyone ##### their pants when somebody else play it. Would you be saying the same thing if BD suddenly came out and did Send in the Clowns?

True. But the Scouts don't own Malaguena and everyone ##### their pants when somebody else play it. Would you be saying the same thing if BD suddenly came out and did Send in the Clowns?

If it fit the show the were doing, then i'd be fine with it.

Rainbow fits in with the motif/theme of Crown's show. Makes perfect sense to me and is one of my favorite moments of Crown's show.

Why can't another corps play another corps' "song"??? When I heard Phantom Regiment play 'Ave Maria' in Faust, it made me cry. That was and remains Pacific Crest's corps song. I was honored to hear it played on the field.

If a corps performs it with class and not to just bash the corps with it trying to make a point, "Hey, we can play your corps song better then you can."

It's all music to the listener, and I really enjoy Crowns arrangement intertwined with 'Somewhere' and I still can't get enough of Cavies own arrangement. As a previous poster said, the Cavies really enjoy the way Crown is playing it.