Unfortunately, it's been my experience that marching a top 5 corps get a lot more respect than anywhere else. If I say I marched Capital Regiment for 2 years, no one cares, but as soon as I say Cadets, no matter the year, it's instant respect. At least that has been my experience with other instructors working with marching bands.

Yeah, I've noticed that as well. The corps you march with unfortunately comes with its own respect. I noticed that places like Cadets, SCV, Cavaliers and even Troopers get a lot of respect because they've helped shape the activity.

EDIT - I should involve Madison in that as well. Forgive me if I forgot anyone else that's helped shape the activity in to what it is today.

Edited by acolli17

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, it's been my experience that marching a top 5 corps get a lot more respect than anywhere else. If I say I marched Capital Regiment for 2 years, no one cares, but as soon as I say Cadets, no matter the year, it's instant respect. At least that has been my experience with other instructors working with marching bands.

I totally agree. I marched 6 years with Pacific Crest, and for the most part, people were like, "Where? Who's that?!" and as soon as I say Crown 07-08 they change immediately. It's surprising to me how unknown Pacific Crest still is to a large number of Drum Corps fans!

I agree with what some people have already said here. I think that members of the lower World Class corps, mainly the ones who don't makae it into semis, and the members of the top 5 or 6 corps after finals get the most repect. And not just the members, but the corps as a whole. This isn't just true for World Class, but for just about the entire Open Class. It's clear that the corps competing in Open Class don't get anywhere as much attention as any and all World Class corps. It almost seems like there's one story about any Open Class corps to about 15-20 stories about any World Class corps. That's just sad, IMHO, espically since I march in Open Class. :biggrin::sad:

Edited by CitBos

I agree with what some people have already said here. I think that members of the lower World Class corps, mainly the ones who don't makae it into semis, and the members of the top 5 or 6 corps after finals get the most repect. And not just the members, but the corps as a whole. This isn't just true for World Class, but for just about the entire Open Class. It's clear that the corps competing in Open Class don't get anywhere as much attention as any and all World Class corps. It almost seems like there's one story about any Open Class corps to about 15-20 stories about any World Class corps. That's just sad, IMHO, espically since I march in Open Class. :biggrin::sad:

Agreed

It's just like the guys who play in the minors. They don't even get money at that point, they just do it for the love of the game (I think). But it's all about the Majors on SportsCenter.

Ok, so maybe respect isn't the right word to use...(since everyone should get respect for marching). I guess what I am getting at is someone who marched say BD, Cavies, Cadets, SCV, etc. going to be viewed differently than someone who marched an open class corps? I know people who have never done corps will obviously have that level of being "star struck" when they see someone who wears their gears or whatever....but what about people who have been around the activity for 5, 10 , 20, 30 years?

I just don't understand how anybody could not respect anybody else who has marched a full season of drum corps.

I never marched a corps, but I have respect for everybody who has. I don't want to say that I respect members of lower placing corps than of higher placing corps, but I don acknowledge that they do as much work for far fewer accolades. It's sad, but true from what I've seen.

I think there is more involved than just respect; there is also recognition. We probably all respect both the third trumpet of the Dallas Symphony and the principal trumpet of the New York Philharmonic. They probably work equally hard and entertain audiences of equal size. BUT, Philip Smith is given much more accolades and is recognized worldwide. There is a different level of competition and success with the top corps just as there is with the top symphonies or championship sports teams.

We can respect all who work hard but there is always going to be more recognition for those who achieve at the highest levels.

I have respect for anyone who ever marched, with a bit of a bias towards people who marched the corps I marched.

On top of the respect I have for everyone who marched, I also have a different kind of respect for the members of the corps that were competing in the same "tier" as we were.

Ok, so maybe respect isn't the right word to use...(since everyone should get respect for marching). I guess what I am getting at is someone who marched say BD, Cavies, Cadets, SCV, etc. going to be viewed differently than someone who marched an open class corps? I know people who have never done corps will obviously have that level of being "star struck" when they see someone who wears their gears or whatever....but what about people who have been around the activity for 5, 10 , 20, 30 years?

I think it'll be kinda hard for some to march 30, or even 20 years... but I see what your saying. I think non-marchers do view members of such corps like BD, Cavies, SCV, etc. differently then members of Manderans, Pacific Crest, Pioneer, etc., and even members of Open Class (in the such of more respect as whatever else you mean).

I respect everyone. Obviously, when you march you have personal opinions about various other corps for whatever reasons. Every corps gets on the bus and says "F the *corps that just beat us* I hate them" and whatever. That's just part of the competition. But in the end, we are all on the same team. Every person who has marched has sacrificed and given up many things in order to do something that we love, and they deserve the respect and acknowledgement for that.

Additionally, everyone has their opinions about certain shows. But when you see people who marched, IMO it is important to remember that every single one of them did the best that they can do with what they were given. The first example that comes to mind is Cadets 05 to Cadets 06. Cadets 05 was obviously more successful on the field, but the people who marched in 06 should not be viewed as inferior (for lack of a better word). And if you didn't like a show, that is your own opinion, but the kid in the jacket didn't design the show. All the kid in the jacket did was work their ### off. Instead of thinking "this kid marched a show that I hated" you should be thinking "this kid, and many others like him, worked his ### off all summer so I could have something to watch."

If someone marched 6+ years or whatever, that is obviously impressive. They contributed a lot to the activity. That doesn't mean that people who only marched 1 or 2 years should be looked down on. You can't go to someone and say "why didn't you march a third year?" If you talk to them and hear their drum corps story, then you can ask, but it is vastly unfair and wrong to assume things about people who marched a shorter time. What if they didn't even know about drum corps when they had 5 years left to march? Are you going to think "haha, this loser didn't even know about drum corps, and I marched 7 years, I am so much better!" I mean, that would probably make you an ########.

If you didn't like someone during the season, that's fine, but in the end you should be more than happy to kick back and share a beer with someone who marched drum corps, regardless of where they marched. I mean, honestly... if the German and British soldiers in the middle of WWI can share drinks, cigars, and a game of soccer, then us drum corps fans can treat each other with respect.