Hop weigh's in on the Cadets/Crown rivalry...

I know the "tick" system is gone, but what we do today is just a fancy word for the same, but you start with a clean slate a 100 across the boards & as your show is performed that score is altered accordingly.

Judges are giving a criteria to score based on execution and over-all effect in the most general sense, now call it "tick" or not the judges see/hear great things and reward, if they see/hear poor things they tick away. So, fill your show full of too complex drill, and music that's unplayable and you'll recieve scores that reflect poor execution & with that the damage it causes to your general effect.

So, again CLEAN FOR THE WIN.

...tick, tick, tick...BOOM.

Not really...you get a general feeling, an arbitrary number in your head...say 60, or 80...then rank the next group how you feel relative to that...the actual # isn't too important.

Edited by jetman1287

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is July 5th, I would rather be a little dirty doing a vast repertoire than clean doing an easier show. Crown is not that dirty. They are changing the activity and performing well already, obviously.

Changing the activity? Body movement and a good hornline and good guard is innovative? They're good, but really? I don't find any of the shows particularly innovative this year, though that's not to say I don't like any of them.

From today's Hop Blog...

And at the end of the day, with a double panel ... there will be 16 people deciding who they like the most.

Our job, of we choose to accept it ... make it clear, make it easy

And that takes time

The same panels he has been toying with for years... more judges, less judges, certain captions with different weights over the years, single captions half the season, then double judges during larger events, it's just never enough.

Crown is winning now, but why is it just a Cadets, Crown story? There should be at least 2 more corps thrown into the mix here too, then what? More Judges?

The same panels he has been toying with for years... more judges, less judges, certain captions with different weights over the years, single captions half the season, then double judges during larger events, it's just never enough.

Crown is winning now, but why is it just a Cadets, Crown story? There should be at least 2 more corps thrown into the mix here too, then what? More Judges?

Relax, guy. There's less judges at this point in the season for one simple reason: Money. And if you'd like to take a trip into the way-back machine, you'd realize that Hop didn't push for the double panel at finals, Bloo did.

Relax, guy. There's less judges at this point in the season for one simple reason: Money. And if you'd like to take a trip into the way-back machine, you'd realize that Hop didn't push for the double panel at finals, Bloo did.

I know, Hop pushed for the limited staff last season to save money, smart idea. But it's just another thing to add to the everyday drama. A Big panel makes sense, why should 7 people decide a world champ? But go even further back in the way back machine and watch the DCI ROOTS vid where Hop talks about programming the shows to take advantage of the way the judging system was set up back then.

I know, Hop pushed for the limited staff last season to save money, smart idea. But it's just another thing to add to the everyday drama. A Big panel makes sense, why should 7 people decide a world champ? But go even further back in the way back machine and watch the DCI ROOTS vid where Hop talks about programming the shows to take advantage of the way the judging system was set up back then.

I'm not sure what your complaint about George is here...

Are you upset that he designed shows to the judges specifications?

Nope.... not understanding what your complaint is. All show designers write to the sheets in some way or another. It's not any better or worse when Hop or the Cadets do it.

Edited by It's Godzilla!

I didn't read through the whole topic, but was it brought up that Hop only brings up the changes? He's involved in the board that votes for it right? But isn't that only like 1 out or 12 people of something like that?

yabetterbelieveit, what's your signature mean? I know its Cadets, and I'm assuming it's '05 cause of the door, but why the "oh yes"? Just out of curiosity.

Edited by acolli17

I didn't read through the whole topic, but was it brought up that Hop only brings up the changes? He's involved in the board that votes for it right? But isn't that only like 1 out or 12 people of something like that?

yabetterbelieveit, what's your signature mean? I know its Cadets, and I'm assuming it's '05 cause of the door, but why the "oh yes"? Just out of curiosity.

I think he's talking about how sexy that first line stepping off is....well, at least the 4th person back. :worthy:

I think he's talking about how sexy that first line stepping off is....well, at least the 4th person back. :worthy:

Gotcha

For a second, I thought I knew you. I know a Nick that marched Cadets in '03, but not 5 and 6, and didn't march any other div. 1 corps.