Bristol Brawl

I am enjoying it. It doesn't upset me now. Of course, if I had a kid in one or the other corps, I might be more personally involved.

No problem. Makes for more people going to shows.

The only thing I have seen is people questioning the judges...like that hasn't happened before now. I don't think people who haven't seen the shows should be questioning them, but okay. Enjoy!

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to say that Crown doesn't deserve every tenth of their 85.100, but I think we may be seeing some East Coast Inflation.

:music:

:thumbup:

:thumbdown:

July 3 Frankfort IL DCM 1 85.950

Cavaliers 2002.

85.1 this point in the season for crown seems totally feasible.

And I would bet that the Cavaliers on July 3, 2002 were much cleaner than Crown was tonight.

I also just finished watching both shows on the fan network.... and I have to admit that in my opinion, Crown is on another level from the Cadets. My observations are obviously hampered by the video and not seeing them live, but it seems to me that overall, Crown's show does have more demand. Sure, the Cadets go crazy at the end with the drill, and the brass parts are unrelenting, but the demand in the body movement of the horn players of Crown is just mind boggling. I know that I personally would be able to march that Cadets drill with less practice time than to learn all those movements. Also, the musicality and variety of styles in Crown's show cannot be overlooked (not that Cadets don't have these as well). While I love what the Cadets are performing this year, I really have a hard time seeing it beating Crown once both shows are August clean. I would say at this point, Crown may be THE favorite to win.

I believe in Crown's show just fine. A 9 in design and a .7 spread between design and execution for a corps going on 2nd to last is just a little strange to see, no matter which corps are involved. I have no problem admitting I'm not a qualified judge. But right now, there's no other word to describe that scoring of that particular caption than aberrent when looking at scores so far. If it keeps happening, then I won't consider it aberrant anymore.

Scores don't usually matter for me until SA, but that was just a little jarring to see.

Not sure I follow you. How does where you go on have anything to do with the Rep. of your show and the Showmanship box spread? As a former judge myself, Joe's score is not only credible, but a pretty accurate representation of how you SHOULD judge the GE caption early season. He loves the rep (9.0), but knows they are not performing at the level of design yet (8.3). That is textbook great judging and I would be way more suspicious if I saw even numbers (i.e. an 8.6 and 8.6) across the board in rep. and show. this time of year. On the flipside, if you see high show and low rep, that could be bad news for a corps. Means they are outperforming the show, and that's one way judges "profile" a corps. Sort of sends a statement about your design n their opinion. You don't want to see that if your are with a corps for sure.

Sorry for the goofy judge lingo, just trying to help clear up why they do what they do. Hope that helps the understanding of what I was going for. :thumbdown:

Edited by trumpetcam

Not to say that Crown doesn't deserve every tenth of their 85.100, but I think we may be seeing some East Coast Inflation.

:bored:

:thumbdown:

Bout time!! :music::worthy: Darn West Coasters need to deal for a change! :thumbup:

Scores are *always* meaningless if you're just looking at raw numbers. Raw scores are useless as a meter for how well a corps is doing. The true indicator is in the spreads. In the end, it doesn't matter if crown scored a 5.0 and the Cadets scored a 4.1 in a caption...the spread is still .9, meaning the judge felt they were .9 better than Cadets.

Makes it even more interesting since Crown went on before the Cadets. I thought the image they were trying to put forth was that they were scoring off the sheets, not against other corps. I always got it in my mind that judges decided the score for each corps before seeing the next one.

Also, if we're talking about just spreads, no matter what you say, giving a 9 in design and 8.3 in performance for GE Music is just plain peculiar, no matter which corps we're talking about. Especially when looking even briefly at scores over the past few days, even.

There's no reason for you to get so upset about it, no matter what. Goodness.

Not sure I follow you. How does where you go on have anything to do with the Rep. of your show and the Showmanship box? As a former judge myself, Joe's score is not only credible, but a pretty accurate representation of how you SHOULD judge the GE caption early season. He loves the rep (9.0), but knows they are not performing at the level of design yet (8.3).

Oh, I see.

Scores are *always* meaningless if you're just looking at raw numbers. Raw scores are useless as a meter for how well a corps is doing. The true indicator is in the spreads. In the end, it doesn't matter if crown scored a 5.0 and the Cadets scored a 4.1 in a caption...the spread is still .9, meaning the judge felt they were .9 better than Cadets.

Score sometimes take a dip...not because the corps got "worse", but because a different judge panel started on a different imaginary number. Once the first corps performs in a show, you have your baseline number. The job, then, is to decide where the next corps fall in: Behind or Ahead of that one?

Yeah, I get that. I've only been following the spreads! If you were to see my note book, you'll see nothing but 2.2, 1.2...etc. I was not very articulate in my first post. What I wanted to say was I want to know what happened to either the Cadets or Crown to create this larger gap then prior nights. That's all. Didn't mean to get into a bickering fest!

I love both of these shows and have been able to see both shows live! VERY LUCKY!!!

I hope the changes to COOL that Hopkins stated on Tweeter help them out!

I love the competition, and if these spreads are true, I lose the thrill of waiting for scores! I just want to be surprised I guess! I'm a thrill seeker!