You may not like the blend the Blue Devils or SCV has, but that doesn't mean their quality was bad and automatically justyifies the scores just because that's how they came out.

Actually, I think SCV has incredible tonality and musicianship with their brassline. Well deserved on the sheets if you ask me.

You're correct, I was not there tonight. But if their previous showings were any indication, it's about time a judge called BD's brass score like he heard it... and I fully trust that judgment.

Edited by IMcomguy

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

Alex "the Lurker" here. I just returned home from the O-Town show. Here are my impressions...

BD - Much better live than on the Fan Network. In fact, I'd suggest staying away from any video coverage of BD and wait until you can see the show live. Video just doesn't do it justice. "Smoking" all the way around.

SCV - I am so glad I got to see this show live. It's for real. It gave me "goosebumps the size of watermelons." I could have cried like a little baby. The new intro is awesome and is such a great segue into the show. The only thing I don't like is the synth. Sorry synth dude. It really sticks out in two parts. One being the stupid bird chirps. They've got to go and only distract me from the awesomeness. Please get rid of the bird chirps!!!!!!! There's another place that's totally sythned, but I can't remember the section off hand. Nevertheless, '09 SCV is a gift from God!

Bluecoats - Rocking drumline. Too bad they dance so much. The whole "undress" thing doesn't really float my boat. Hornline rocks. Good show Bllllluuuuuueeeeeeee...

BK - Honestly, the showed didn't do a whole lot for me. No offense BKers. It's not you, it's me.

Troopers - Wow Wow Wow. This isn't your grandma's Troop. They sounded great. Loud. In Tune. Drumline is rocking the house and believe it or not, they are sounding cleaner than I've ever heard Troop (ESPECIALLY considering the # of notes). I'm very pleased that I saw them. Welcome back Troop. Keep it going. I loved it. I love you. I love the color guard girls.

I'm out.

Edited by Alex M.

Hi Guys,

Alex "the Lurker" here. I just returned home from the O-Town show. Here are my impressions...

BD - Much better live than on the Fan Network. In fact, I'd suggest staying away from any video coverage of BD and wait until you can see the show live. Video just doesn't do it justice. "Smoking" all the way around.

SCV - I am so glad I got to see this show live. It's for real. It gave me "goosebumps the size of watermelons." I could have cried like a little baby. The new intro is awesome and is such a great segue into the show. The only thing I don't like is the synth. Sorry synth dude. It really sticks out in two parts. One being the stupid bird chirps. They've got to go and only distract me from the awesomeness. Please get rid of the bird chirps!!!!!!! There's another place that's totally sythned, but I can't remember the section off hand. Nevertheless, '09 SCV is a gift from God!

Bluecoats - Rocking drumline. Too bad they dance so much. The whole "undress" thing doesn't really float my boat. Hornline rocks. Good show Bllllluuuuuueeeeeeee...

BK - Honestly, the showed didn't do a whole lot for me. No offense BKers. It's not you, it's me.

Troopers - Wow Wow Wow. This isn't your grandma's Troop. They sounded great. Loud. In Tune. Drumline is rocking the house and believe it or not, they are sounding cleaner than I've ever heard Troop (ESPECIALLY considering the # of notes). I'm very pleased that I saw them. Welcome back Troop. Keep it going. I loved it. I love you. I love the color guard girls.

I'm out.

Thanks for the review.

The bird chirps aren't coming from the keyboard, it's coming from the vibes/marimba players-- they have these small little things that they pull that makes the noise. Check out SCV's 1st behind the star videos, you'll see them.

Edited by just_another_fanatic

Actually, I think SCV has incredible tonality and musicianship with their brassline. Well deserved on the sheets if you ask me.

You're correct, I was not there tonight. But if their previous showings were any indication, it's about time a judge called BD's brass score like he heard it... and I fully trust that judgment.

It seems to be more like the judge calling it like YOU heard it (or wanted it to be heard), because again, without being there tonight you can't say the guy was right OR wrong in his assessment. The other judges all had BD in 1st by at least 0.3. That doesn't make the brass judge right or wrong either, but you could just as easily make the argument that he's the only one who scored it wrong since he was out of line with his co-judges. It's easy to formulate the justifications from behind a computer when not attending the show.

Again, I'm not saying he was wrong. BD has shown to be capable of "off-nights" and for Bluecoats and SCV to have excellent hornlines that rise to the occassion, but just because he scored it the way you want it to be scored doesn't mean he was right.

Thanks for the heads up. They just came off as "cheese" in a classy show.

Thanks for the review.

The bird chirps aren't coming from the keyboard, it's coming from the pit-- they have these small little things that they pull that makes the noise. Check out SCV's 1st behind the star videos, you'll see them.

Hi Guys,

I'm out.

Thanks for the down and dirty review. Nicely done. :w00t: Many have been saying to see the BD show live, it's the only way to appreciate it's power. SCV is for real. I believe that BC is benefiting this year by touring with these two powerhouses. And TROOPERs, what can we say! The Calvary has arrived! :w00t::devil:

I'm out.

1. Completely agree with you!!! Video recording NEVER did BD justice!! I was not surprised that BD is rarely loved for that reason. Every time I see BD live, I could just understand their placement.

2. Can't wait for Bluecoats to clear up... especially music. I know their trouble is really the visual but I think their music could go done as their best in history.

3. SCV needs to clarify in the latest video that the "bird chirps" everyone is not complaining about is not snych. Check the first behind the star video on FN.