San Antonio, Texas!

There are many symbols of conflict in the show: competing melodies, manic changes in mood, dueling color guard, split ensemble groups...Cool is inherently an internal conflict piece....there is intensity, joy, love, panic, release...

:shutup:

Are you for real?

Is this Drum Corps or Musical Theater? I can't tell the difference any longer.......

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then just ignore the theme?

Corps are still going out and playing songs, so if you don't like themes then why not just pretend that they don't exist?

I like themes, I just don't think it's a requisite for a show. Oftentimes I do ignore the theme or only view it as a way to tie the show together, but like I said, focus towards a theme takes away focus towards quality, variety, style, etc. of the music being played. You can't have it both ways.

:whistle:

Are you for real?

Is this Drum Corps or Musical Theater? I can't tell the difference any longer.......

God forbid a drum corps show be artistic and well-designed. Is this Drum Corps or College Marching band. I can't tell the difference anymore.

A little clarification is needed here. To you it was stupid.

Adopt? So pushing for finals only a couple years after going inactive isn't enough for you? Some people are never satisfied I guess.

Randy, this is probably from someone who doesn't know the rich and storied heritage of the Troopers. Their knowledge is of a perenial bottom tier corps. They know nothing of the multiple VFW and World Open championships before DCI existed, or that they finished 2nd to SCV at DCI in 1973.

Garry in Vegas

I disagree, Colts are not getting respect for a visually pleasing show. There is some "sentimental" issue happening for the Troopers. If nothing else the DM slowing down the rest of the DM for retreat should be worth a point deduction!

My My My...did we wake up on the wrong side of the crib today??? Mellow out, dude. The original comment did not warrent your nuclear response. The Troop DM thing was a bit excessive, wouldnt you agree?

The original comment (posted at top) suggests that the Troopers were "given" 12th place in SA by the judges because of "sentimentality" rather than earning of it by the corps' hard work and perseverance. This struck me as very insulting to the young men and women of the Troopers and their staff. Then I found out this comment was posted by the mother of the Colts DM (?), so I chalked it up to a case of sour grapes.

Regardless, to make insinuations about another corps because your corps got beat by them is in extremely poor taste.

And no I don't agree that the Troop DM is a bit excessive. But maybe you can go before the DCI Board and call for a resolution to control the behavior of the Troop DM at retreats.

I don't get the big deal....

Troop DM's have always done that... and so did Stu at SCV....

Its part of what they do...

Also, don't complain and moan that your little boys corps was slotted.... look I marched Troop in the not so glorious days and to be honest we always had to fight to not be "slotted" as a lower placing corps.

So to hear someone with ties to a perennial semi's participant complaining that they are being dropped to Troopers out of sentimentality is really insulting! Also, I can guarantee you that the brass staff at Colts, Jason Buckingham and Rance Costa, while still wanting to do well, have no ill will towards the Troopers. They were staff there in 04 and 05 and always told us they never wished anything bad for any of the groups they worked with, in fact they rooted for BK to make finals in 04.

Can't anyone actually be happy that Troop is doing well without all this slotting BS... Ok I get it... some Colts fans are hurt or unhappy that their corps is losing the 12th place spot, or at least getting competition for it. But really.... wanting deductions for something that has happened for at least the past 20 years because the drum major walks to slow... c'mon.

Complain about the judges and how the scoring can be flawed... but don't say you are being slotted to a corps that has finished in the top 17 once in the past lets say about 23 years....

I'm not trying to trash my old corps... heck I aged out 07 I love Troop.... But I'm just sick of hearing people from different corps or associated with other corps talk about slotting. It sucks and from a member who was actually naive enough to read DCP forums on a free my rookie year... it rips out the heart of members to hear people speak about something they work so hard for.

Also... I know Corey Moore... If he read your comments... he would just walk slower...

SO GROW UP!

Find something real to complain about... like how you don't think the show concept is very good, or the brass isn't loud enough, they aren't in tune... etc... and thats why they shouldn't be in 12th place.

Other wise... and I mean this from my heart... Realize what you are posting and imagine the horrible comments being made are about your son/daughter/friend/ families corps, now imagine them reading it. While some could just shrug it off, others wouldn't be able to, and do you really want to be responsible for ruining some kids summer?

If you can't say something nice... just don't talk

I find this whole being upset over a comment about "sentimentalism" to be a little strange and humorous at the same time. Here are my thoughts on these comments:

1 Slotting happens, deal with it get past it

2 A Troopers Drum Major has been doing this since the beginning of time. No big deal.

3 After seeing the Troopers show my opinion is they are much better but their show is not as good as Colts or Madison's for that matter.

4. If the Colts are feeling concerned over being slighted for reasons other than performance there are other reasons than the Troopers Kool-Aid drinking that could cost them.

GL to all corps have an excellent finish to the Summer.

BAC ..... got the Corn Cob on the dark side tonight................

No, BAC is feeling the pressure of of peaking early with a show that was cleaner than a lot of other corps early on but will struggle to keep pace as more demanding shows continue to progress. IMO of course.