One Fan's plea...

I find it interesting that people who haven't been part of Phantom telling us how we should take a disappointing season. Consider this...A disappointing season to BD, and the Cavaliers is no lower than 3 place. I would expect the same for the Cadets. For those that have written off SCV let's not forget all of their Championships.

It's absolutely essential to have high standards and high expectations if you want to compete for the Championship.

I hear where you're coming from, but to hold Phantom to those same standards ("top 3 or the season is a disappointment") is unrealistic based on their history. That means for the majority of the last 20 years, Phantom Regiment has been a disappointment in your mind, and I doubt that is the way you feel (though it might be).

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WMaybe there's a killer story there and I'm not seeing it. But I'm thinking no.

You are thinking correctly. The story line chosen is both too oblique and too inconsequential. Though I hate 'story line' shows (high school bando to my taste), at least last year they chose a type of story line that is embedded in world culture, whether it's Spartacus, the American Revolution, or the battle of Thermopylae. It's about the underdog fighting the good fight, so even if you didn't know much about the literal Spartacus story, you could follow what was supposed to be happening.

"The Red Violin", not so much.

Edited by mobrien

I hear where you're coming from, but to hold Phantom to those same standards ("top 3 or the season is a disappointment") is unrealistic based on their history. That means for the majority of the last 20 years, Phantom Regiment has been a disappointment in your mind, and I doubt that is the way you feel (though it might be).

I was talking purely from a consistancy bases, which has been the issue. Since 2003 they have been on the rise and seemed to have the formula figured out. This year and in 2004 they have gotten off track tryingto do something not Regiment. It's impossible to compete doing that. It's especially worse when the visual and guard don't rise to the occasion.

It is easy to look at their successes and see the type of shows and music that work for them. Looking at the past 4 years and you can definitely see the path they need to follow.

The way I see it...Music 1st, Brass and Percusssion execution, Top 3-4 in visual, and top 3-4 guard. And that's just to have a shot!

They have the staff and talent to do that consistantly! (IMO)

Well, maybe losing to Blue Stars will be the impetus needed to fix the visual. They are still very solid musically and I think won drums in Houston... I am glad for that and am pulling for them.

You are thinking correctly. The story line chosen is both too oblique and too inconsequential. Though I hate 'story line' shows (high school bando to my taste), at least last year they chose a type of story line that is embedded in world culture, whether it's Spartacus, the American Revolution, or the battle of Thermopylae. It's about the underdog fighting the good fight, so even if you didn't know much about the literal Spartacus story, you could follow what was supposed to be happening.

"The Red Violin", not so much.

But maybe that's where WE come in! Let's give them a new storyline to follow that ends much more spectacularly.

I'll start:

Ok, so guy gets violin and the power and magic lure him away from his true love, then this evil seductress steals the violin...

From there, what is your storyline?

yea they DID win drums in houston tonight so all isnt lost. we'll see how things pan out as the rest of the season progresses. when was the last time (knock on wood) that a corps it the bottom of the top 6 or bottom 6 won drums the same year? i really hope they can improve their show in the coming weeks leading to finals.

Not sure whether people have posted this already....

the video on demand is available on FN now.... talking about efficiency!

yea they DID win drums in houston tonight so all isnt lost. we'll see how things pan out as the rest of the season progresses. when was the last time (knock on wood) that a corps it the bottom of the top 6 or bottom 6 won drums the same year? i really hope they can improve their show in the coming weeks leading to finals.

As a member of the 1984 27th Lancers snareline, I know that situation really well. Painfully well. It's tough to score a caption of a lower-scoring corps at the highest level because it leaves no room for the same caption of higher-scoring corps to score higher...

Well, I watched the VODs for Regiment and for Blue Stars. Blue Stars have a more pleasing drill overall. The desk-looking things are kind of distracting if you ask me, but the drill looked good and the guard looked good. Regiment's drill has good things, but, is a bit shaky in places. Guard is improving, imo, but the drill is pulling their score down.