One Fan's plea...

I don't understand the criticisms that imply that playing music that the crowd doesn't know is inherently bad.

I absolutely guarantee that most people in the stands had never heard a lot of what Phantom played last year, either. I believe it matters less whether or not you know the music, and more whether or not it works.

Or maybe Tjeknavorian is more of a household name than I knew...or Ginastera's piano concertos are more popular than I thought.

there are tons of things i have seen/heard on a drum corps field I never heard before. didn't make it bad. But, i also do not feel compelled to go and research it either, tho some people take you to task for it.

trust me a lot of drum corps fans last year didnt know Spartacus like we who remember 81 and 82 did. But people got it. and therein lies the key...if it's designed right, people get it, even if they dont know it

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I feel bad that you haven't checked out this music yet. "The Red Violin" is an amazing movie, and the music has been performed by major orchestras around the world, along with incredible violinist Joshua Bell. I think it's great that Phantom would tackle this for a show theme!

Agreed - great flick. You really should check it out.

IMO:

PR 2008---> Summer Blockbuster movie (addl. example: Cavies 2006)

PR 2009---> Indie Film (addl. example: PR 2004)

Personally I didn't care for Spartacus (or any show that beats you over the head with the theme instead of letting the musical/visual performance do the talking (i.e. Cavies '06, '08, Cadets '06 & PR '08) - there's more examples but these are front of mind) But hey, Different strokes for different folks right?

PR has a good show, it just doesn't reach out stir your soul like the last few years...

Edited by highpitch_83

PR 2009---> Indie Film (addl. example: PR 2004)

This.

Good heavens people, stop acting like Phantom being out of the top 5 (if that happens) will bring on the Apocalypse. I remember seeing Phantom down in 8th place or so before, they'll be just fine. Quite frankly nothing would make me happier than having 7 or 8 corps with a legitimate shot at top 5 battling it out!

no corps finishing 5th or lower in guard has medaled this decade.

What corps/years have medaled with a 6th or lower guard? That seems like it should be a standard, but if there's corps that have done it in the past I'm curious.

What corps/years have medaled with a 6th or lower guard? That seems like it should be a standard, but if there's corps that have done it in the past I'm curious.

You will have to look that up. I don't have the time..lol. But in this decade finishing 4th in guard is the limit.

As for drill and guard - some thoughts and questions. Is the guard design mediocre, or is it just being mediocre-ly performed? In other words, is it a talent issue or a design issue? If it's talent, then I think it's interesting that a championship year would not result in a higher level of guard talent. This could scare away candidates should PR decide to make a change there - "they won a title and STILL couldn't bring in guard talent." As for the drill writer, he's a PR alum, so I doubt the corps will be too quick to pull the trigger. It would seem to me that they are taking a significant step backward in drill design compared to Jamey Thompson, whose drill I'd be waiting years and years for (as I always thought it was the missing piece to PR). Also keep in mind that PR suffered for several years in the late 90s to essentially 2004 with weak (in my opinion) drill - they've demonstrated that they aren't quick to make a change in that area. Of course, the corps director has changed since then, though several key folks (who likely assist in the decisionmaking process) are still involved with the corps.

this.

there's a lot of times that things don't flow with the music. tons of dancing and not using any sort of equipment...less equipment work = less chance to score higher. transitions from equipment to equipment are bad in a few spots (or were, i haven't seen the changes yet) where they're just marching out with a new flag, but not doing anything with it at the time.