One Fan's plea...

Phantom had a lot of success going back to a new twist on OLD classics....American in Paris (1977/2005), Scythian Suite (1983/2006), Spartacus (1981/1982/2008)...I say OLD classics because they went back to Paganini Variations this year (1995) and that doesn't seem to be working out.

So the time has come to revisit:

Symphonie Fantastique (1985)

There is a story there that can be told ala Phantom...love, obsession, drugs, sex, and rock and roll....

For those unfamiliar with the story behind the tune: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphonie_fantastique

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phantom had a lot of success going back to a new twist on OLD classics....American in Paris (1977/2005), Scythian Suite (1983/2006), Spartacus (1981/1982/2008)...I say OLD classics because they went back to Paganini Variations this year (1995) and that doesn't seem to be working out.

So the time has come to revisit:

Symphonie Fantastique (1985)

There is a story there that can be told ala Phantom...love, obsession, drugs, sex, and rock and roll....

For those unfamiliar with the story behind the tune: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphonie_fantastique

That would be incredibly awesome!!!!! I loved the Sop solo that year! :devil:

When over 85% of the DCI Titles since the inception of DCI have been won by just 3 Corps ( BD, Cadets, Cavs ), it is very hard to have an outsider Corps like Phantom Regiment knock that door down. Last year Phantom Regiment came back from 2nd place in the semi's to beat BD in the finals by 1 tenth. Those of us who like change at the top should be grateful for that. It is so hard to have a non elite Corps win a DCI Title. It's difficult to beat ANY of these 3 Corps in any given year. It is a special year indeed.... and highly unusual..... to have a Corps beat all three of these Elite Corps in the same year come Finals Night. That's why 2008 was so unique and special in this regard regarding the Championship title. Perhaps Carolina Crown will that special magic to win it all this year. But their odds are not on their side. It will be a tall order indeed for them to knock off BD, Cavs, Cadets on Finals, when knocking off 2 out of the three still won't get you the Title. I just want Phantom Regiment to be their usual entertaining Corps. If they do that, it's a successful year for them in my opinion, no matter their placement.

I don’t think it’s time to panic yet

They have only been beaten by 3 corps so far this year, Crown (spread of 1.2), Cadets (spread of 3.2) and Cavies (larget spread was first meeting at 2.4, got it to .6 than last meeting was 1.7) Thanks BK site.

I don’t theink they have the hype because not many have seen them, big issue with rain outs, the 2 shows I was to see them at were rained out. And at the standstill, they had the most demading music book and handled it better than the others

Also, they have not gone against many of the top corps so I think their scores or a bit low from that too

Yeah, I get the guard and visual are not up to speed – I think we all expected that knowing who they hired and I do hope they can up-grade that position

But the music is there

What I’ll be watching is if they start slotting their muic scores down to their visual scores, then you know they are being dumped but that has yet to happen

They simply have too much talent in the corps to drop too low and head to head that talent will come through

Last year they won by being Regiment, this year they are trying not to be Regiment and are a bit lost which in a way, is very Regiment

I felt this show was doomed when they annouced it and I read a review of the movie I also heard murrmers of the members being disappointed as they were hoping for a Dracula show and that too was cause concerned. I’m guessing they tried to shy away from littering the filed with bodies again. In some ways, I think they out-thought themseleve but the music is good

So, I haven’t written them off yet, maybe that’s navie but I haven’t seen them march yet and based on their standstill, they are right there with the top corps

now if they tank at SA, well, that's another story but they don't seem to do well at SA anyway

Edited by cowtown

heh. all this freaking out. wasnt Phantom like 4 points behind BD at San Antonio last year?

The Regiment could likely finish in the top 3 in both brass and percussion. However, it is nothing new that visual & guard will be lacking as judged by those whose "opinion" appears to count for more. They will finish no better than 5th overall.

I remember when Phantom finished in 10th place... believe it was 1988 in KC.

But... that was Phantom .... THAT YEAR !

Phantom placed 6th in 1988.

Go everybody !!!!

Last year they had something worth cleaning and the talent level to clean.

last year, until they added in the story, a lot of people thought it was good, not great.

not saying they can pull it off, but stranger things have happened

last year, until they added in the story, a lot of people thought it was good, not great.

not saying they can pull it off, but stranger things have happened

Well, the only thing they really added was the ending of the story. The had every piece of the story all season. The initial fight, the love song, the murder, the revolution, and Spartacus being killed. All they added was the bit about the DM standing up and helping the slaves eventually win.

So the story was all there, it just wasn't blatant enough. Perhaps we are seeing that this year? Maybe there's a killer story there and I'm not seeing it. But I'm thinking no.