One Fan's plea...

I am obviously a BD fan (and in fact, a bit more) and have no vote on this thread. However, I've been reading the posts here and it's kind of sad the way that the frustration of ranking and scores is causing the normal insanely loyal PR fans to voice their disfavor at the PR organization. I shouldn't and won't agree or disagree about the staff remarks I will only suggest two things:

1) Stability of an organization is priceless. Consistent corps (in terms of results) are those that have consistent organizations. Unlike professional sports has become, the family of ours corps is their life's blood. If you think about it that way then maybe (even though DCP loves this kind of laundry) this conversation should be just for your family.

2) Your production this year is beautiful! I think it just comes down to the story of the "Red Violin" and how it is translates to a tellable story on the field. This sad and dark tale talks of love, betrayal, deep disappointment and unimaginable loss. The violin carries these powerful human circumstances with it though the ages, effecting everyone it is touched by. That is a very hard story to connect and make BIG like your offering last year. So you punish it, doubt yourselves and seek answers to your perceived dilemma. In a strange way the violin is effecting your family in the same way it always has and breaking your spirit in the bargain. Those kids on field don't deserve this debate. They need to tell their story the way that only Phantom can. To hell with the results. Be a family and watch what happens. :thumbup:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To hell with the results. Be a family and watch what happens. :thumbup:

Umm...it would be a mistake to generalize what the Regiment family thinks from some posters on DCP. Just like I don't claim to speak for anyone but myself, people who have taken staff and design for this program to task...those are really just individual opinions. And for what they're worth....jeez, people...go see the show and decide for yourselves. It's more fun that way. :tongue:

I am obviously a BD fan (and in fact, a bit more) and have no vote on this thread. However, I've been reading the posts here and it's kind of sad the way that the frustration of ranking and scores is causing the normal insanely loyal PR fans to voice their disfavor at the PR organization. I shouldn't and won't agree or disagree about the staff remarks I will only suggest two things:

1) Stability of an organization is priceless. Consistent corps (in terms of results) are those that have consistent organizations. Unlike professional sports has become, the family of ours corps is their life's blood. If you think about it that way then maybe (even though DCP loves this kind of laundry) this conversation should be just for your family.

2) Your production this year is beautiful! I think it just comes down to the story of the "Red Violin" and how it is translates to a tellable story on the field. This sad and dark tale talks of love, betrayal, deep disappointment and unimaginable loss. The violin carries these powerful human circumstances with it though the ages, effecting everyone it is touched by. That is a very hard story to connect and make BIG like your offering last year. So you punish it, doubt yourselves and seek answers to your perceived dilemma. In a strange way the violin is effecting your family in the same way it always has and breaking your spirit in the bargain. Those kids on field don't deserve this debate. They need to tell their story the way that only Phantom can. To hell with the results. Be a family and watch what happens. :thumbup:

Completely, Absolutely, 100% Agreed. I can't believe I have the same opinion with a BD fan. Who Knew? :tongue:

As far as Adam Sage is concerned, he left Phantom because they told him during finals week that they were not going to sponsor the PR winterguard for the '09 season. That was one of the big reasons he went to work there in the first place, to teach both at one corps. So he saw a spot opening at Crown, and he helped them re-establish their WGI program.

there is no way you can look at the history of Phantom Regiment and not see the 2008 show as an outlier.

Phantom is generally a step below the "top" corps, and that is where they will finish this year. The 2008 show was one for the record books, and you can't have a show like that every year.

lower your expectations, you won't be as disappointed.

Fail. Not counting that "outlier" year of 2008:

2006: 2nd

2005: 3rd

2003: 4th

1997: 4th

1996: 1st

1994: 3rd

1993: 3rd

1991: 3rd

1989: 2nd

Top 4 nine times in 20 yrs. Yeah, they're definitely second tier.

The other night I was flipping through the channels and saw that the Red Violin was on Television. So, I set my little oven timer to remind me to turn it on so I could watch it. I found it to be a mediocre movie, but then again, I am not a movie critic.

I'm just curious how many people have seen the movie or are familiar with the music.

there is no way you can look at the history of Phantom Regiment and not see the 2008 show as an outlier.

Umm??? 1977? 1978? 1979? 1989? 1991? 1993? 1994? 1996? 2005? 2006?

All top three finishes.

1976, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1990, 1995, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2007: All top five finishes.

PR has been inside the Top Five 24 times in 36 years of making the Finals.

Not sure how 2008 is an outlier.

:thumbup:

How many times do you have to finish 2nd to be considered a top corps? How many times in the top 5? Or, how are you defining "top"? Just winning?

25 times apparently.

Completely, Absolutely, 100% Agreed. I can't believe I have the same opinion with a BD fan. Who Knew? :tongue:

As far as Adam Sage is concerned, he left Phantom because they told him during finals week that they were not going to sponsor the PR winterguard for the '09 season. That was one of the big reasons he went to work there in the first place, to teach both at one corps. So he saw a spot opening at Crown, and he helped them re-establish their WGI program.

that's not all of the story...

All top three finishes.

1976, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1990, 1995, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2007: All top five finishes.

somehow i think the stigma of '98-'02 has blurred some people's memories of how dominant Regiment really has been in DCI. remember that they're #2 in all time finals' appearances behind SCV.

Edited by chaos001

I remember when Phantom finished in 10th place... believe it was 1988 in KC.

But... that was Phantom .... THAT YEAR !

step forward.. 2008... awesome show... !!!!

1st place, and deservingly so... (IMHO)

Could it be that in our minds... that this is one of THOSE corps that "has a GIVEN thought" about

them... like they are _________..... they HAVE to finish in __ place..or SOMETHING is wrong...

And that theory doesnt just apply to Phantom....... think about it... !!!!

I still would like DCI to take on a show where ALL the corps are wearing the same ...

black shorts/white tops..... solid flag silks....

AND then..... lets see who wins ... just a thought..

Go everybody !!!!

Edited by AmmerMP

Fail. Not counting that "outlier" year of 2008:

2006: 2nd

2005: 3rd

2003: 4th

1997: 4th

1996: 1st

1994: 3rd

1993: 3rd

1991: 3rd

1989: 2nd

Top 4 nine times in 20 yrs. Yeah, they're definitely second tier.

Blue Devils: 19/20 = 95%

Cadets: 18/20 = 90%

Cadets: 16/20 = 80%

Phantom: 10/20 = 50%

which one doesn't belong? please tell me.

said by Threats

All top three finishes.

Which one of those shows is on par with 2008? IMO, I will give you 89 and maybe 96. However, some people have claimed that 2008 Phantom is the best show EVER.

If you think a corps put out THE BEST SHOW EVER last year, then it is an outlier. Period.

You cannot have 2 BEST SHOWS EVER in a row. Won't happen.

Now, if you want to argue that Phantom 2008 was a quality show that got lucky to win during finals week, then maybe I would agree with you that it wasn't an outlier.

Be honest with yourself. How many of those shows you quoted had the hype, story, and epic-ness of 2008? THAT is why 2008 is the outlier.

Be honest again... if it wasn't an outlier, it wouldn't have gotten nearly the hype that it did.

Edited by soccerguy315

The other night I was flipping through the channels and saw that the Red Violin was on Television. So, I set my little oven timer to remind me to turn it on so I could watch it. I found it to be a mediocre movie, but then again, I am not a movie critic.

I'm just curious how many people have seen the movie or are familiar with the music.

I was already familiar with the movie, having seen it years ago, but unfamiliar with the music. I love the sound PR is putting out this year, but the show itself needs more "oomph". Love the music.