One Fan's plea...

Chris I agree to a point. I was the first to be critical of the show for the design flaws and music. My first viewing placed them in 7th come finals. My opinion was that no matter what cleaning was done the show could not overcome the flaws.

I had hoped that the layering would overcome that but rewrites have taken over.

I cannot speak from design experience when it comes to a drum corp show as my only experience is from a business perspective. I call it vision.

Could the staff and designers see the end result or final product? This is where the error (IMO) has occured.

In my opinion this is all about a failed plan and not about execution.

It reminds me of the Muscial artist who experiences success and then decides they are ready to do there own music and not listen to their label. it screams of the "we don't have to prove ourselves anymore."

In the business world the prove yourself mentality is essential to daily success and should be applied in running a DCI world class corp! Phantom has it down when it comes to Brass and percussion, now it needs to be applied to the design staff, and colorguard! Only if it is applied to everyone will they be consistant.

I can only assume that when they made the colorguard change they didn't take that into account. He wasn't a part of the New Phantom 2003-2008 and wasn't a part of the New philosophy. The Designer got it right last year but is way off the mark this year.

My thoughts for the under performing design and color guard departments next year....Don't bring me an inferior product.

When you think the best and expect the best, you become the best!

After all that , I believe the word that sums this up is " cockiness " . I really love Phantom Regiment .Last year at

the second Toledo show when Phantom was on I was setting on the second 40 yd line two or three rows up from the bottom of the stands and I got my ears trimmed back by that awsome , awsome killer Phantom horn line I just about crapped myself that was the coolest thing that I've ever experienced in all my days of drum corps and thats a whole lot of days ! I still have to say I feel for the kids .

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course it isn't awful. to the contrary. This show has taken my initial confusion and molded it into something almost humbling. This is not the Spartacus Phantom Regiment. They are their own group. What this show is becoming is something quite beautiful--eloquent, reserved, almost anti-Spartacus.

Don't go in expecting Spartacus--just go with the corps and see where they take you. It's quite a journey.

I'm looking forward to feeling that way, and thank you for your post. I'm itching to see the show (unfortunately being in Japan, all I get is Fan Network!), and hope there are no more rainouts on days scheduled for video on demand!

I have two sisters in law that went to shows in Illinois/Wisconsin earlier this year. They have never seen drum corps before. They were only there to support my daughter who marches in another corps. They both loved Phantom best. One sister in law is so into drum corps now she bought tickets for finals. Phantom has an appeal not only to corps veterans but to a popukation that know very little if anything about the activity no matter what product they put on the field year in and year out. Phantom exudes Class.

there is no way you can look at the history of Phantom Regiment and not see the 2008 show as an outlier.

Phantom is generally a step below the "top" corps, and that is where they will finish this year. The 2008 show was one for the record books, and you can't have a show like that every year.

lower your expectations, you won't be as disappointed.

My wife and I spent some time with Phantom Regiment the day before the Ft. Walton Beach show. These kids work so VERY hard, and care so much for each other and the Corps they are so proud of. Although I have new found respect for the kids and their dedication...I actually feel sorry for them.

It is not the kids who are at fault here this season... it is the Crops administration in our opinion. Coming off an amazing show and championship in 2008, I would think they would have attempted to find a way to follow up in 2009 with a bit of the awesomeness they had last year. The kids do not choose the show... they have no say in what music is played. And watching them closely at rehearsal, and at the show on Monday night... I get the feeling the kids do not like this show. The "fire" of Phantom Regiment seems to be missing somehow. There is no doubt that PR's horns are still putting out that famous Phantom sound that is unmatched by anyone... but...something is lacking...and I feel it is the "love of the show" thing. The designers have fallen short this year and IMO let these great kids down...as well as letting us loyal fans down. Do not for one second blame any of those kids for the show this year... the blame is directly in the staffs lap. IMO they did very little thinking when deciding what type of show to do! No one I know of has heard of "The Red Violin" ... or recognize the music.. or understands what PR is trying to say on the field. Again...the kids are giving their ALL!!! The staff has messed up totally!

Just our opinions!

I have only heard PR's music at the standstill in Rockford so I have no opinion of their show this year. But I will say that these kids are performers and the "job" of a performer is to sell what they are given to sell, so if they signed up for it, they should sell it to the best of their ability. Maybe there is more to it than I know, but I know a lot of performers who still get into it (or pretend to) when it is time to be in front of the audience. This is my opinion only and not meant to antagonize anyone...just something I didn't see anyone addrees. I wish all of the corps the best for the remainder of the season.

lower your expectations, you won't be as disappointed.

This is where I have to disagree. I just can't lower my expectations. I love drum corps and always expect the best. If Phantom Regiment gives us their best at Finals, I will be happy. And we all have to judge that for ourselves, regardless of placement. Like I said earlier, the one thing I do know is that I'll be purchasing the APD, because their music is AWESOME! And I'll be at finals, so we both win anyway.

No lowering expectations!!!

Phantom is generally a step below the "top" corps

:thumbup:

How many times do you have to finish 2nd to be considered a top corps? How many times in the top 5? Or, how are you defining "top"? Just winning?