One Fan's plea...

From the member blog this year, it appears they are re-writing drill like crazy, which is both good and bad - at least they are doing something but, with that design team, you'd think they would not have to (I don't know about the guard or drill people, though). Also, if the same person is writing, who's to say the rewrite will be just another example of mediocre. God I hate to use that word in reference to Regiment, because I've loved their shows pretty consistently since 2003. I guess that's why this season is so surprising. And frustrating!

From a music standpoint, I like the show but don't love it. I love the way it starts - the actual stuff from the Red Violin is dark and interesting - but the concept imo gets muddy once the paganini variations start. I almost feel it's a bit cliche to hear the theme again and again when I'm yearning for more of that interesting Red Violin stuff proper, and I'm not sure what the mix is supposed to "mean" in relation to the story. (and I get the irony that other corps this year are doing what might be called "cliche" music as it's been done before) Then the visual, drill, cg portion does not help sell a muddy concept, and it just gets worse because it appears the members are not sure either, what they are supposed to sell... Plus, even though I'm a drum guy, I can see the guard's not executing. The work's not sharp, at all.

It really pains me to see low scores like the drums and brass are getting. BD's DL is already getting an 18, but in the shows Regiment's been in, they are still in the 16 range. What is up with that? The guys are executing very well. *sigh*

I agree with the above saying that it's the staff's responsibility. Design's definitely a mis-fire, in my opinion. That said, drum corps have done amazing things with little time. I still hope for the best...

they had to do a lot of rewrites last year as well...they just did them earlier.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that this Red Violin show is not up to the standard set by Spartacus...but neither is any other show on the field this year. PR had a show last year that is as rare as the Triple Crown. It is totally unfair to expect them to top that effort...possibly ever again.

That's the aspect of competition that I personally don't like...the feeling that if you don't equal or surpass what has been done the previous year...you have some how failed.

Vanguard has experienced it before, certainly Madison has...I guess that's just drum corps.

I guess I should say that I do not expect PR or any Corps to top "Spartacus". But this year IMO they were obligated to at least present a show that would attempt to excite the kids and the fans. The Red Violin does not excite anyone IMO. As someone said... the show seems "muddy". And being an ex-snare drummer I feel the scores for percussion are lower than they should be.

they had to do a lot of rewrites last year as well...they just did them earlier.

You're right, they did, didn't they. I remember hearing an interview with someone on staff, saying that the key would be not to have to rewrite too much, and to be more in control of that situation (paraphrasing). I can't see they're rectifying that, and it seems like this year might bite them because of not having that process under better control.

I love Regiment. This is just so frustrating to see them struggle. I can only imagine what it must be like for alums.

You're right, they did, didn't they. I remember hearing an interview with someone on staff, saying that the key would be not to have to rewrite too much, and to be more in control of that situation (paraphrasing). I can't see they're rectifying that, and it seems like this year might bite them because of not having that process under better control.

I love Regiment. This is just so frustrating to see them struggle. I can only imagine what it must be like for alums.

i know Dr. Dan talked about it in the On The Road DVD. something about "making major changes earlier...and then just layering on afterwards."

and no, i don't see that they kept that trend going.

I guess I should say that I do not expect PR or any Corps to top "Spartacus". But this year IMO they were obligated to at least present a show that would attempt to excite the kids and the fans. The Red Violin does not excite anyone IMO. As someone said... the show seems "muddy". And being an ex-snare drummer I feel the scores for percussion are lower than they should be.

Yes, muddy. They are playing some nice meaty parts, aren't they. Definitely underscoring, and it makes me want to use that evil word slotting... Horns seem to be really good too.

i know Dr. Dan talked about it in the On The Road DVD. something about "making major changes earlier...and then just layering on afterwards."

and no, i don't see that they kept that trend going.

Thank you. Yes, I think that must have been where I saw it. In an ad or something for that, or a clip on the Fan Network.

I know a lot of corps that would LOVE to be struggling for a spot in the top 6.

Yes, that's true too. I just kind of expect them, these days, to be "up there". But I suppose there are downs with the ups...

It sure as heck excited me. :thumbup:

I think the music is outstanding and it's a shame more people aren't talking about it on DCP. As a jazz musician myself, I can tell you that the swing section of their show has some of the most authentic jazz sounds I have ever heard from drum corps. I wonder how many people realize that. It is extremely difficult to make that many brass sound like a big band.... but they're doing a pretty darn good job.

:cool:

Main issues are with the drill writer and guard design. One would think after a year of 3 major rewrites to get the championship last year, the kid would have figured it out. Learn what works and what doesn't.

Also, Regiment's colorguard has a long history of class and sophistication in design of uniforms, work and overall effect that just isn't happening this year. NOT THE MEMBERS FAULT. I was not at all impressed with Bluecoats' guard last year. It seemed like a cheap knockoff.

I understand that this guard staff has been on PR staff before, however it feels and looks like the cheap knock off. "We don't have Adam Sage, but we'll give ya the guy that worked with him two years ago." I mean, the years that Joe and Jude were captions ('02-'04) are head and shoulders what we are seeing now.

I'm sure I'll be flamed, but dang it I love my Regiment. Loud, Sophisticated, 100% Class.