One Fan's plea...

At this rate. 9th or 10th

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I spent some time with Phantom Regiment the day before the Ft. Walton Beach show. These kids work so VERY hard, and care so much for each other and the Corps they are so proud of. Although I have new found respect for the kids and their dedication...I actually feel sorry for them.

It is not the kids who are at fault here this season... it is the Crops administration in our opinion. Coming off an amazing show and championship in 2008, I would think they would have attempted to find a way to follow up in 2009 with a bit of the awesomeness they had last year. The kids do not choose the show... they have no say in what music is played. And watching them closely at rehearsal, and at the show on Monday night... I get the feeling the kids do not like this show. The "fire" of Phantom Regiment seems to be missing somehow. There is no doubt that PR's horns are still putting out that famous Phantom sound that is unmatched by anyone... but...something is lacking...and I feel it is the "love of the show" thing. The designers have fallen short this year and IMO let these great kids down...as well as letting us loyal fans down. Do not for one second blame any of those kids for the show this year... the blame is directly in the staffs lap. IMO they did very little thinking when deciding what type of show to do! No one I know of has heard of "The Red Violin" ... or recognize the music.. or understands what PR is trying to say on the field. Again...the kids are giving their ALL!!! The staff has messed up totally!

Just our opinions!

though i agree with much of what you said...the lack of returners is astounding. talent level is down...all these things affect scores.

Please insert corps name here, please clean, clean, clean! And work on that visual! And colorguard? Work VERY hard. I just can't stand seeing my beloved insert corps name continue to plummet down the standings. When it's all said and done, where do you think they will finish?

Works with any corps, really.

though i agree with much of what you said...the lack of returners is astounding. talent level is down...all these things affect scores.

Really? And you know these facts how?

The corps is younger, but talent is actually a little higher across the board. As far as returning members, the percentage is around the same as any other year at a top 5 corps. I can agree that younger talent means retention is not as quick and making changes takes longer, but I think it's much more than the kids in the corps. Look at the rep numbers in the recaps. They are most of the numbers that are the lowest and that is a show design issue based on the judges opinions. They will clean up, but it depends on what it looks like once it is cleaned.

There is a nice analogy I will not use here that i think everyone can relate to...

BTW, keep stirring the pot. you will get to 100 posts before you know it! :thumbup:

Edited by trumpetcam

6th...too much ground to make up.

yeah because last year they were so tight to BD in mid July :thumbup:

I do not know how many ageouts they had last fall....but I tend to disagree. The talent is there. The Regiments horns are fantastic.. as is the percussion.

For instance... my son in law saw his 1st DCI show last night... and he loved Phantom... but he asked me... what are they trying to say?

I showed him the 2008 show and he knew right away. Same with 2007, 1996, 1989 and many others.

This tells the tale...what is the message they are trying to convey? The guard staff and design staff needs to go IMO.

My wife and I spent some time with Phantom Regiment the day before the Ft. Walton Beach show. These kids work so VERY hard, and care so much for each other and the Corps they are so proud of. Although I have new found respect for the kids and their dedication...I actually feel sorry for them.

It is not the kids who are at fault here this season... it is the Crops administration in our opinion. Coming off an amazing show and championship in 2008, I would think they would have attempted to find a way to follow up in 2009 with a bit of the awesomeness they had last year. The kids do not choose the show... they have no say in what music is played. And watching them closely at rehearsal, and at the show on Monday night... I get the feeling the kids do not like this show. The "fire" of Phantom Regiment seems to be missing somehow. There is no doubt that PR's horns are still putting out that famous Phantom sound that is unmatched by anyone... but...something is lacking...and I feel it is the "love of the show" thing. The designers have fallen short this year and IMO let these great kids down...as well as letting us loyal fans down. Do not for one second blame any of those kids for the show this year... the blame is directly in the staffs lap. IMO they did very little thinking when deciding what type of show to do! No one I know of has heard of "The Red Violin" ... or recognize the music.. or understands what PR is trying to say on the field. Again...the kids are giving their ALL!!! The staff has messed up totally!

Just our opinions!

it kinda reminds me of 97...after the emotional high of the 96 tie...the 97 show just didnt seem to connect

From the member blog this year, it appears they are re-writing drill like crazy, which is both good and bad - at least they are doing something but, with that design team, you'd think they would not have to (I don't know about the guard or drill people, though). Also, if the same person is writing, who's to say the rewrite will be just another example of mediocre. God I hate to use that word in reference to Regiment, because I've loved their shows pretty consistently since 2003. I guess that's why this season is so surprising. And frustrating!

From a music standpoint, I like the show but don't love it. I love the way it starts - the actual stuff from the Red Violin is dark and interesting - but the concept imo gets muddy once the paganini variations start. I almost feel it's a bit cliche to hear the theme again and again when I'm yearning for more of that interesting Red Violin stuff proper, and I'm not sure what the mix is supposed to "mean" in relation to the story. (and I get the irony that other corps this year are doing what might be called "cliche" music as it's been done before) Then the visual, drill, cg portion does not help sell a muddy concept, and it just gets worse because it appears the members are not sure either, what they are supposed to sell... Plus, even though I'm a drum guy, I can see the guard's not executing. The work's not sharp, at all.

It really pains me to see low scores like the drums and brass are getting. BD's DL is already getting an 18, but in the shows Regiment's been in, they are still in the 16 range. What is up with that? The guys are executing very well. *sigh*

I agree with the above saying that it's the staff's responsibility. Design's definitely a mis-fire, in my opinion. That said, drum corps have done amazing things with little time. I still hope for the best...

I do not know how many ageouts they had last fall....but I tend to disagree. The talent is there. The Regiments horns are fantastic.. as is the percussion.

For instance... my son in law saw his 1st DCI show last night... and he loved Phantom... but he asked me... what are they trying to say?

I showed him the 2008 show and he knew right away. Same with 2007, 1996, 1989 and many others.

This tells the tale...what is the message they are trying to convey? The guard staff and design staff needs to go IMO.

iirc, it was between 45-50?

Edited by chaos001

I agree that this Red Violin show is not up to the standard set by Spartacus...but neither is any other show on the field this year. PR had a show last year that is as rare as the Triple Crown. It is totally unfair to expect them to top that effort...possibly ever again.

That's the aspect of competition that I personally don't like...the feeling that if you don't equal or surpass what has been done the previous year...you have some how failed.

Vanguard has experienced it before, certainly Madison has...I guess that's just drum corps.