One Fan's plea...

It sure as heck excited me. :thumbup:

I think the music is outstanding and it's a shame more people aren't talking about it on DCP. As a jazz musician myself, I can tell you that the swing section of their show has some of the most authentic jazz sounds I have ever heard from drum corps. I wonder how many people realize that. It is extremely difficult to make that many brass sound like a big band.... but they're doing a pretty darn good job.

:cool:

I agree that the jazz section is very good. And agree that the difficulty is very high... but I think maybe we have over the years associated Phantom Regiment with "dark" powerful classical music with huge impacts and that many people recognize immediately. This year does not seem to have that "feel" if you know what I mean? But as said... "this is Drum Corps" but it is still a shame IMO. And yes... the horns are extremely good...:) I feel for the kids who are trying so hard!

Edited by pfco

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I should say that I do not expect PR or any Corps to top "Spartacus". But this year IMO they were obligated to at least present a show that would attempt to excite the kids and the fans. The Red Violin does not excite anyone IMO. As someone said... the show seems "muddy". And being an ex-snare drummer I feel the scores for percussion are lower than they should be.

Except that they just beat the Cadets in drums at their last show.

The staff other than the guard and drill staff _have_ to know there's a problem. They must. These guys are too good to just ignore mediocrity, I would like to think.

(yeah, that jazz section really swings, eh? good stuff!)

Phantom will be fine. So maybe this year they don't win, or place top 3. It happens. Designing a drum corps show to compete at the world class level, or any level, is really difficult. Sometimes ideas that you think will work do not pan out, and concepts that you are sure will bring applause and entertainment do not.

Add that to the fact that Phantom gave us one of those rare special treats last year with Spartacus. That show was an instant CLASSIC! It was a Garfield 84 or 87, a Blue Devils 86 or 88, an SCV 87 or 89, a Cavaliers 2002, a Madison Scouts 1995. The chances of repeating a show that good are tough. Garfield in 86 and 88 could not come close to their success in 85 or 87. The 3-peats with Garfield (83-85) and The Cavaliers (2000-2002) stand as amazing feats, but I don't know that each of those 3 shows were true "classics." They won, and that is pretty darn good. However, we haven't seen a repeat winner now since 2002.

I believe Phantom is very young this year, and they do have some new staff. So it will take time to develop things. I wouldn't count them out of the top 5 this year, but I am sure they will be good again.

Except that they just beat the Cadets in drums at their last show.

They did, but not by much of a margin. The scores are kind of "meh..." if you ask me. Mid-July should be mid to high 17s or even an 18 if the line's going to be at 19 level in Aug. The playing and book is definitely 19 material, too. Anyway, I guess we'll see more properly when Regiment can go head to head with the various other corps.

Pray for NO rain!

... Phantom gave us one of those rare special treats last year with Spartacus. That show was an instant CLASSIC! It was a Garfield 84 or 87, a Blue Devils 86 or 88, an SCV 87 or 89, a Cavaliers 2002, a Madison Scouts 1995. ...

Count your blessings, huh? Yeah. Count your blessings...

The staff other than the guard and drill staff _have_ to know there's a problem. They must. These guys are too good to just ignore mediocrity, I would like to think.

(yeah, that jazz section really swings, eh? good stuff!)

i'm very very sure they know. if anyone is a member of their Facebook Phan page, watch and see how long any constructive criticism (or something that even resembles it) stays up on the wall.

My wife and I spent some time with Phantom Regiment the day before the Ft. Walton Beach show. These kids work so VERY hard, and care so much for each other and the Corps they are so proud of. Although I have new found respect for the kids and their dedication...I actually feel sorry for them.

It is not the kids who are at fault here this season... it is the Crops administration in our opinion. Coming off an amazing show and championship in 2008, I would think they would have attempted to find a way to follow up in 2009 with a bit of the awesomeness they had last year. The kids do not choose the show... they have no say in what music is played. And watching them closely at rehearsal, and at the show on Monday night... I get the feeling the kids do not like this show. The "fire" of Phantom Regiment seems to be missing somehow. There is no doubt that PR's horns are still putting out that famous Phantom sound that is unmatched by anyone... but...something is lacking...and I feel it is the "love of the show" thing. The designers have fallen short this year and IMO let these great kids down...as well as letting us loyal fans down. Do not for one second blame any of those kids for the show this year... the blame is directly in the staffs lap. IMO they did very little thinking when deciding what type of show to do! No one I know of has heard of "The Red Violin" ... or recognize the music.. or understands what PR is trying to say on the field. Again...the kids are giving their ALL!!! The staff has messed up totally!

Just our opinions!

Your entire post makes a beautiful point about performers needing to believe in a show's strength in order to "sell" it, and generates a vivid sympathy for them. Beautiful, at least, until the last part, where you strangely dismiss "The Red Violin" (a great film, with great music and a great concept, which you and your friends should have seen) on the basis of not having "heard of" it.

Saying that you are ignorant of a piece is not a valid criticism of it, and I think you must realize that in your heart of hearts. How many other great works don't you or I know yet? Do you and your friends think you know all the pieces in the world of music that are worth performing? Are you that well-versed?

I'm a professional musician, with solid Classical training and decades in the business, and I'm not remotely that cocky about my familiarities. Quite the contrary -- I am still acutely aware of how much more I have left to discover. Heck, I'm blown away by new things every week!

Please do not judge things by their familiarity. It is a meaningless limiting of your enjoyment and discovery, and it's even fundamentally repressive towards those who come to show you what they have discovered.

I beg you as a performer: judge works by their qualities instead, and never assume you know it all already.

Take care, and be a good audience.

Loving PR's music program this year. Since music is really all I care about, Phantom is usually great for me no matter where they place. I hope they keep up with the great musical programs. I'm sure they'll get the visual program clicking better soon, too.

My wife and I spent some time with Phantom Regiment the day before the Ft. Walton Beach show. These kids work so VERY hard, and care so much for each other and the Corps they are so proud of. Although I have new found respect for the kids and their dedication...I actually feel sorry for them.

It is not the kids who are at fault here this season... it is the Crops administration in our opinion. Coming off an amazing show and championship in 2008, I would think they would have attempted to find a way to follow up in 2009 with a bit of the awesomeness they had last year. The kids do not choose the show... they have no say in what music is played. And watching them closely at rehearsal, and at the show on Monday night... I get the feeling the kids do not like this show. The "fire" of Phantom Regiment seems to be missing somehow. There is no doubt that PR's horns are still putting out that famous Phantom sound that is unmatched by anyone... but...something is lacking...and I feel it is the "love of the show" thing. The designers have fallen short this year and IMO let these great kids down...as well as letting us loyal fans down. Do not for one second blame any of those kids for the show this year... the blame is directly in the staffs lap. IMO they did very little thinking when deciding what type of show to do! No one I know of has heard of "The Red Violin" ... or recognize the music.. or understands what PR is trying to say on the field. Again...the kids are giving their ALL!!! The staff has messed up totally!

Just our opinions!

I agree totally lets hope the BOD realizes this and take steps to CORRECT the situation next year ! Poor kids !