Indianapolis

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for mentioning the IMA. I've been a couple of times, and it's always great. You can enjoy the art inside, or travel the grounds and enjoy the beautiful gardens.

that reminds me, I don't think Connor Prairie has been mentioned yet. It's a great family destination, essentially an 1800's Indiana town come to life. If you won't be going to DCI all three nights, then I highly recommend the Symphony on the Prairie series. On that weekend, they'll be playing:

Mozart by Moonlight

Fri. & Sat., August 7 & 8

Sean Newhouse, Conductor | Yevgeny Sudbin, Piano

This is all great stuff...thanks! keep the ideas comin'. Then I'll print the topic, take it home and we'll pick a few things...

TOURIST?

I assumed that The Children's Museum had already been mentioned, but I am not seeing it. It is world renown. http://www.childrensmuseum.org/ There is a FANTASTIC King Tut exhibit right now, and will still be there during DCI week. It is further than a walk from center of downtown, but just a 10 minute drive.

Good exhibits at The Indianapolis Zoo (downtown). http://www.indyzoo.com/ New Dragons of Komodo exhibit. Dolphin show. Nice African Plainces with Giraffe, Elephants and now Rhinos. Not the biggest zoo, but a nice place to spend a day.

The Indiana State Fair kicks off on August 7th. 153rd annual - one of the largest in the nation. http://www.in.gov/statefair/fair/index.html The marching band "Band Day" competition has prelims that day, finals in the night. It's a track show, not you're modern day marching band affair. Also about 10 minutes drive from direct downtown.

LIVE MUSIC?

Thursday, August 6

'Animals and All That Jazz' at the Indianapolis Zoo. Featuring Harvey and the Bluetones (Included in zoo admission)

Laurie Morvan Band Live at the Slippery Noodle Inn.

The Breeders @ The Vogue (Broad Ripple)

Friday, August 7th

Shadyside All Stars (local band of the Jamband variety) - @ The Vogue (Broad Ripple)

Tori Amos - The Murat Theatre (downtown - Mass Ave district)

Michael Locke and The Repeat Offenders Live at the Slippery Noodle Inn

Los Campesinos at Spin (Broad Ripple)

Saturday, August 7th - the tragic conflicts with finals night

Son Volt @ The Vogue (Broad Ripple)

The Decemberists at the Murat Egyptian Room. (downtown - Mass Ave district)

Sunday, August 8th

The Jazz Kitchen (Broad Ripple) A Great Day In Jazz presents

RALPH ADAMS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD

+ INDIANA AVE PANEL DISCUSSION

2009 recipients Al Colman, Reginald Duvalle, Mingo Jones & Dr. David Baker

Panel discussion at 4:30p

Kenny Phelps

Deep Blue Organ Trio

Also, a venue for hot live jazz (not really a food/dining pub, like the Kitchen) is The Chatterbox. http://www.chatterboxjazz.com/ It is also in the Mass Ave district downtown. They always have live local combo jazz. They have not released their August calender yet, although Thursday is alway Frank Glover :devil: . But it's usually good stuff.

SPORTS

The Indianapolis Indians have a game every night from the 6th through the 9th against the Charlotte Knights. These are AAA teams. Regardless, if you enjoy baseball at any level, attending a game at Victory Field is a must. And the location is perfect for downtown travelers.

The WNBA Indiana Fever have a home game on Wednesday night, the 5th against Chicago. Not my cup of tea, bit once again, a killer venue. Conseco Fieldhouse is second to none. Plus, right now, this team is 10-2. All of those wins are a streak, after 2 initial losses.

Edited by mingusmonk

TOURIST?

I assumed that The Children's Museum had already been mentioned, but I am not seeing it. It is world renown. http://www.childrensmuseum.org/ There is a FANTASTIC King Tut exhibit right now, and will still be there during DCI week. It is further than a walk from center of downtown, but just a 10 minute drive.

I should have mentioned it. I left it off my list, because Gary mentioned the two guys with him were 22. I spent two years volunteering there on weekends, when I was 10-12. :devil:

LIVE MUSIC?

Friday, August 7th

Los Campesinos at Spin (Broad Ripple)

Saturday, August 7th - the tragic conflicts with finals night

The Decemberists at the Murat Egyptian Room. (downtown - Mass Ave district)

Funny story, here. I had finals tickets originally, but when I found out that the Decemberists would be in town I frantically exchanged my finals tickets for Semis. Finals is quite an experience, as I found out last year, but The Decemberists are one of my very favorite groups. This struck me as a good compromise; I'll see all the corps on Friday and be a few blocks away at the Murat on Saturday...

But then Los Campesinos! announced a US tour. Another of my favorite groups. To make matters worse, one of their primary band members is leaving the group after this tour, so not only is it a rare chance to see them stateside, but my last chance to see them as is. Finding good Semis tickets was enough of a hassle that there's no way I'm going to try trading these for Quarters, but if there was any way that I could be at Spin to see LC!, I would. So if you're going to be in Indy on Friday night but won't be going to Semis, then check them out.

Went to BOA two years ago and Ram gets my vote. If you like Calimari best I have ever had. Our waiter was hilarious and very good.

We love the Ram! A tradition every time we've been in Indy (drum corps, BOA). The Calimari is great (or so my husband says...I am not a fan of any calimari anywhere). The Red Eye Cafe is a great place to hang out, too. We were there 3 nights in a row last year - the only thing open for food and drinks after getting back from Bloomington. If I recall, the Red Eye is run by former drum corps folks (Glassmen alum). I can't wait to go to Indy! Love it there!!!

I am going to second others by saying SHAPIRO'S DELI. It is literally right next to Lucas Oil Stadium and if you like NY style deli food, this is one of the best in the mid-west. I would recommend the Corned Beef sandwich with a side of German potato salad. It is fantastic! :devil:

I am going to second others by saying SHAPIRO'S DELI. ...Corned Beef sandwich :devil:

:devil::wub:

So far, looks like the only activities are surrounded by bars.

Well, there is that, but one of my favorite things last year (and for those that keep asking, why would you have been in Indy last year since the show was in Bloomington? Well, the show was SUPPOSED to be in Indy so many of us booked hotel rooms that we couldn't get out of (priceline).), Anyway, one of my favorite things was walking along the canals and past the museums all the way to the zoo. That is a beautiful walk.