Thought on narration in Cadets shows in past year and in general How u

I especially like the part in the title about wanting to see what people think about this "just for fun" .... :devil:

"Fun how? What's fun about it? Fun how? fun like a clown, it amuses you? It makes you laugh, It's here to f-n' amuse you? What do you mean fun, fun how? How is it fun?"

(some amount of money to Joe Pesci)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

O I am sorry. I looked at some of the posts and didnt see it so I thought i was good.

No biggie...as you might imagine though, this topic was discussed A LOT over the past few years on this forum. From Cadets use of narration in many shows, to Crown/Crusaders back in '04, Blue Devils in '05 (I think), Blue Stars in '06 and Bluecoats last year.

George Hopkins' argument for it was that he would only use voice when necessary to convey a story/idea/moral. I would say 2006 and 2008 were not the best, but 2005 and 2007 saw great things. I always thought 2007 was the most entertaining because it was basically a big "F U" to the people who didn't like it.

and to many people, it was the least appealing because of the FU factor

It's evolved in to sound clips now, too.

and to many people, it was the least appealing because of the FU factor

True. But it's good incentive for me to when I go running. Not sure why, though.

05 - great

06 - actually made some sense in drum break, though I think we could have gotten it (hello, costumes) without it, so it was kind of a joke; singing great

07 - made for some good musical impacts; easy to pick on guy in the closer; wish they were less in quantity

08 - ugh. and by year's end, the closer made no sense

George Hopkins' argument for it was that he would only use voice when necessary to convey a story/idea/moral. I would say 2006 and 2008 were not the best, but 2005 and 2007 saw great things. I always thought 2007 was the most entertaining because it was basically a big "F U" to the people who didn't like it.

Yeah - that's what every corps should do - give the finger to the fans. You know - those people that pay money to see you?

I'm not against trying something new, and people are welcome to like it or not. But if they were to have done it as an "F U" (as you put it) to the fans - that's just stupid and childish.

Cadets' 2007 would have been awesome without the narration. I saw them live several times during the last two weeks of the 2007 season. They played and marched the crap out of that show. But I've never listened to the recordings or watched the video of the show because I can't stand all the voiceover.

Yeah - that's what every corps should do - give the finger to the fans. You know - those people that pay money to see you?

Star 1993 turned out pretty well...

I'm actually dying to see a corps do that again, though I'm thinking more along the lines of the source music used. I want to hear something like Schnittke's Piano Concerto on the field.

And I don't think things turned out too shabby for 07 cadets either. I guess "F U" is a bad way of putting it. I'd say it was more of a "We're going to try to be the pioneers in the evolution of drum corps". Whether people agree with that or not is a whole different topic, but I think that's what they were trying to get out with This I Believe. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that they didn't use voice to supplement the show, or to help their story line, the voice was their story line.

Was anyone in Allentown when the girl yelled "where are we?". I heard there was a guy in the crowd that yelled "5TH PLACE" but I'm not sure if that's true or not. Either way, it's hilarious, IMO.

I think more than a little narration suggests the show isn't well developed enough to stand on its own without help and that the audience is not smart enough to "get it" without the help of narration. Oh... and it is distracting!

I'm glad HNC are not using narration to the extent of previous years mostly because I could barely sit still when I heard boos in the stands when they performed. Shameful behavior from adults. The members did the best they could with the shows they were asked to perform. They were uber-talented. They gave their blood, sweat and tears all summer long. They PAID to be in the activity. And they got booed. :devil: