Thought on narration in Cadets shows in past year and in general How u

Hi, I have never liked the Cadets choice to use narration in their shows in past years. I do not mind small narration but I do not like big drawn out things! I just wanted to see what you guys think of narration in the Cadets shows and shows in general.

DCP 2009 Checklist:

- George Hopkins is the Devil thread. CHECK

- Cadets narration "just for fun" thread. CHECK

Congrats everyone, we've avoided Hell freezing over for yet another year.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

08 *sigh* i hate to say but I think that this show was doomed from the start. Even if you unplugged, the show would have been horrible. It had like no impact (that I can remember) and it was just like monotone for the most part. I mean the first two minutes with the exception of the simple gifts push is ALL conversation between two people on a couch. I remember sitting at finals and was actually bored. I never imagined that I would be BORED at my first ever drum corps world finals. However!! This was a very sold drum corps. They played VERY well!

These are just my opinions I am very sorry if they offend anyone. The members of the Cadets work EXTREMELY HARD! I just don't understand the design a lot of the times. The narration is so..............bando! I guess. haha. Sorry there's my soap box. lol

This pretty much sums up the feeling that I had for this one as well. An extremely talented and well rehearsed drum corps that was mostly relegated to a supporting role for a new-agey performance piece. I remember thinking that much of the ensemble's efforts were wasted.

Having not seen any shows this year, can someone tell me who, if any corps, is using narration at all this year? I'm sure there are a few spoken words here and there, but any outright narration? Kinda makes you wonder if that was a fad.....

Cavaliers are speaking into mics on several occasions in this year's show. Don't know where you draw the line between "a few words" and "narration", though.

Ive never been a big fan of the cadets, but I always respected their shows since they had full narration shows I lost all respect for them, I dont even capitolize the word cadets anymore tahke that! :blink: but yeah they over narrate, I liked the bluecoats way of doing it, I dont like narration, but they did it really well it was not over done, and when they did it it was really done well.

I recently rewatched these on FN to see if any of my opinions had changed

2005 worked quite well. The vocal percussion improved the show's effect.

2006 show had design and performance problems. The speech and singing neither hurt nor helped.

2007 great corps with excellent execution. Script was bad and detracted from the performance

2008 very questionable show design in many respects. Script was bad, had no real connection to the performance, and definitely detracted.

I find it ironic that, for all the advocacy of amplified voice that GH did, the Cadets really struggled to make effective use of it in their show designs. Amp'd voice is here to stay, and IMO accepted by the majority - I don't think I've read a single complaint about the Cavies' use this year. But shows like Crown 07 and Bluecoats 07/08 had far more to do with winning people over than the Cadets did.

Ive never been a big fan of the cadets, but I always respected their shows since they had full narration shows I lost all respect for them, I dont even capitolize the word cadets anymore tahke that! :blink: but yeah they over narrate, I liked the bluecoats way of doing it, I dont like narration, but they did it really well it was not over done, and when they did it it was really done well.

Sarah Palin, is that you? Take a breath, sweety...

Sarah Palin, is that you? Take a breath, sweety...

I wish Sarah Palin would take a breath, and Joe Biden would take a breathalyzer... ( opps, my bad...gone politics... a nono here.. but couldn't resist....haha)

Slow down!.... :tongue: It's barely showtime and your gonna need another beer run! But don't drive! :ph34r: Pace yourself! :shutup: