Thought on narration in Cadets shows in past year and in general How u

I think it was Louisville '06, and the Cadets' mics died. That was my favorite time watching that show. (yes, it still flowed, and made enough sense for me to stand up for them at the end, too bad we couldn't hear the singing though)

Cadets 05 is my second favorite show of all time. (second to Star '93)

'07 could have done without the narrative, and I can't really remember '08 (after four years of marching, you tend to stop running to see corps after you get off the field)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO

05 was pretty cool

06 was actually......a pretty cool show imo. The voices were a little over the top though. i.e. the ballad: it was kinda like a soloist singer........and a drum corps backing them up. the singer could have very easily been a horn soloist.........because you know it is called drum and BUGLE corps :D

07 would have been AWESOME.....if they had unplugged :) (imo, this year the narration this year was far from cool and sounded childish and VERY unprofessional)

08 *sigh* i hate to say but I think that this show was doomed from the start. Even if you unplugged, the show would have been horrible. It had like no impact (that I can remember) and it was just like monotone for the most part. I mean the first two minutes with the exception of the simple gifts push is ALL conversation between two people on a couch. I remember sitting at finals and was actually bored. I never imagined that I would be BORED at my first ever drum corps world finals. However!! This was a very sold drum corps. They played VERY well!

These are just my opinions I am very sorry if they offend anyone. The members of the Cadets work EXTREMELY HARD! I just don't understand the design a lot of the times. The narration is so..............bando! I guess. haha. Sorry there's my soap box. lol

Edited by 08ThunderBass5

05- Legendary

06- Off the deep end

07- EXCELLENT show. The narration adds to the effect perfectly, and makes the hornline look awesome, which they were that year anyways.

08- WAY too much. I'll give them credit that they used less as the season went on, but really, too much. I mean, I watched it in June and couldn't stomach it, but at least the finals version was a tad better.

Having not seen any shows this year, can someone tell me who, if any corps, is using narration at all this year? I'm sure there are a few spoken words here and there, but any outright narration? Kinda makes you wonder if that was a fad.....

Star 1993 turned out pretty well...

I'm actually dying to see a corps do that again, though I'm thinking more along the lines of the source music used. I want to hear something like Schnittke's Piano Concerto on the field.

The Crossmen are using Medea again this year.

The Crossmen are using Medea again this year.

Didn't Glassmen use Medea in 2004? With that 'splash of red from somewhere special', or something to that effect :blink:

I think it is just a matter of: are they doing it well?

2007 was a compelling show because it was one of the first totally based around narration....they (meaning Hop) had a point to make, and make it he did (I loved that they even had a self-deprecating sense of humor about it: "OK, now let's do something with NO VOICE" added finals week...brilliant). But the point of course was not so much about narration, but about 2006! They got such a negative reaction to that show (06) that Hop was getting tired of his kids getting dogged, so he put them front and center with the narration, as if to say "Here, boo the kids to their faces". Remember they did not write the show, they are just performing it.

I have read and seen conversations with Hop and even asked him about it once and he can take the criticism (I think in some ways he lives for it), but he feels terrible when it gets directed at the kids instead of him or his staff. It is part of the game of being a professional performer I suppose and most of these "kids" are 18-22, but I think it puts the focus of the activity in the wrong place. Does corps exist to please the taste of a certain demographic of fans or to give the performers a valuable experience? I suppose the answer could be both, but where should we be putting our energies? (rhetorical question)

Having said all THAT, I agree with the majority of folks here that 05 and 07 were bold and brilliant while 06 and 08 were...confusing at best, poor show design at worst. However I know that the members of all four of those corps worked their little right-foot-lead tails off and left it all on the field finals night. :blink:

It is here to stay, for better or for worse, until trends in show design push it away.