"Sterile" shows of 2009

I actually disagree with many of you regarding the Cavaliers show. I have watched it several times. Each time it seems to get better to me. I enjoy the musicality which includes beautiful tone quality in the horn line added with exceptional balance/ blend/ tuning. The visual is very good, as always. The part that sticks out for me the most is the percussion writing of Jim Casella and Eric Johnson. I think their writing is some of the most musical on the field.

I do agree that Cavaliers don't try to blow the house down with power. In 2002 they used musicianship on the field and it worked. I believe they have been trying to do that for that past 9 years and I don't see anything wrong with it.

I also liked Boston, Troopers, and SCV. I felt that SCV played a very musical show! Just my 2 cents worth.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll start off by saying I haven't seen SCV's show.

But what I wanted to address was Appalachian Spring. The whole thing about Appalachian is the simplicity of it (the name of the folk song bit is Simple Gifts).....and before someone hollers at me, I'm by no means saying simple as in lack of demand, I'm saying simplicity of the themes. The ballet displays this even more than the orchestral version (visually, it's very minimalistic, and if memory serves it was scored for just thirteen pieces).

So, I'm really glad that they didn't create an "inventive arrangement." It would be the opposite of the piece of music they're doing.

Just my .02

Well said. The beauty of SCV 's production is that it remains true to the minimalist approach that the peice requires as part of the Shaker composition tradition. It would be inapproprriate to assign anything but simplicity to what is conveyed. The beauty of SCV's show... it's genius if you will.... is being true to the theme of " happiness " being found through His " Simple Gifts " that have been provided to us and are actually all around us. The show requires an understated approach and must emphasize simplicity, and it does so exceeedingly well. The show needed to end softly and reflectively..... and likewise, it has done so. SCV could not have been truer to the original composers intent. The quality of the design of of this show from SCV demonstrates keen intelligence in my opinion. I applaud the SCV show designers for this perfectly constructed minimalist ( and underrated in my opinion ) production.

Edited by BRASSO

Well said. The beauty of SCV 's production is that it remains true to the minimalist approach that the peice requires as part of the Shaker composition tradition. It would be inapproprriate to assign anything but simplicity to what is conveyed. The beauty of SCV's show... it's genius if you will.... is being true to the theme of " happiness " being found through His " Simple Gifts " that have been provided to us and are actually all around us. The show requires an understated approach and must emphasize simplicity, and it does so. The show needed to end softly and reflectively..... and likewise, it has done so. SCV could not have been truer to the original composers intent, in my opinion.

Thanks, I just happened to do quite a bit of study on this a couple decades ago :whistle:

I'll start off by saying I haven't seen SCV's show.

But what I wanted to address was Appalachian Spring. The whole thing about Appalachian is the simplicity of it (the name of the folk song bit is Simple Gifts).....and before someone hollers at me, I'm by no means saying simple as in lack of demand, I'm saying simplicity of the themes. The ballet displays this even more than the orchestral version (visually, it's very minimalistic, and if memory serves it was scored for just thirteen pieces).

So, I'm really glad that they didn't create an "inventive arrangement." It would be the opposite of the piece of music they're doing.

Just my .02

Well said! That's 2 cents well spent!

I keep hearing "oh it's too simple" or it needs "more of an impact in the beginning" or comparing it to '87 Garfield. Well guess what? This isn't 87 Garfield's Appalachian Spring. It's also not 1976, 1982-83 SCV's Appalachian Spring! This is 2009 SCV's Ballet For Martha. A simple elegant show based on the life of an incredible dancer/choreographer. Throwing in insane drill does not fit the style of the show. Could they have done it? You and I both know they could have but the music doesn't call for it. Listen to the ballet. Are there huge impact points in the beginning? No, there aren't. So why add something that doesn't need to be there? The impact of the show happens right where it needs to happen and right where the designers of the show intended it to go.

Well done SCV!! This show will be in my library for years to come!

Edited by skajerk

Thanks, I just happened to do quite a bit of study on this a couple decades ago :whistle:

It appears you have learned some good lessons from those studies.

I actually disagree with many of you regarding the Cavaliers show. I have watched it several times. Each time it seems to get better to me. I enjoy the musicality which includes beautiful tone quality in the horn line added with exceptional balance/ blend/ tuning. The visual is very good, as always. The part that sticks out for me the most is the percussion writing of Jim Casella and Eric Johnson. I think their writing is some of the most musical on the field.

I do agree that Cavaliers don't try to blow the house down with power. In 2002 they used musicianship on the field and it worked. I believe they have been trying to do that for that past 9 years and I don't see anything wrong with it.

I also liked Boston, Troopers, and SCV. I felt that SCV played a very musical show! Just my 2 cents worth.

That tends to happen with me on every show ever. The first time I watch a show I'm usually meh... but then I watch it over and over again and find ways to appreciate it. That and I'm slow

In my opinion Santa Clara is the biggest disappointment. I have liked several of their past shows-06 and 07 being my favorites but this year is sooooo unlike them. I realize they had a major staff overhaul but it shouldn't have affected things this much. There's no VANGUARD! moment in the show, the cymbal line doesn't form a V and I'm unmoved by the show. I feel like the show is so one layered. The music is sporadic, being played in little chunks here and there for a good portion of the show until we get to the almighty shaker tune. Yes I realize it is a classic folk melody, and it was great when Blast did it in 2001, but I'm just tired of it. Especially when it is basically the orchestral arrangement transferred to the field. With a standard piece like that, it would be nice to hear an inventive arrangement. I don't know, but that's the one I'm most disappointed with.

The things they are doing well: The balls-out extended chord at the end has a pretty good balance. Hard to do with a chord that long, that loud, and played front field. They also execute the show very well, with the marching and performance aspects. Better luck next year in the show design.

First of all if you knew anything about santa clara you would know how much tradition lies in the appalation spring music so no its not unlike them at all.....The choreography is very much like santa clara.....The horn moves, the dance solos, the toast at the end!!!! Its all vintage Santa clara Vanguard maybe more now than ever before.... Before you go talking bad about them read up on your history a little bit buddy and get your facts straight....And the symbols don't have to make a V every year or maybe they are waiting until finals.......and the vanguard shout is out to add dramatic effect to the silence after an extremely loud section!!!

Well said! That's 2 cents well spent!

I keep hearing "oh it's too simple" or it needs "more of an impact in the beginning" or comparing it to '87 Garfield. Well guess what? This isn't 87 Garfield's Appalachian Spring. It's also not 1976, 1982-83 SCV's Appalachian Spring! This is 2009 SCV's Ballet For Martha. A simple elegant show based on the life of an incredible dancer/choreographer. Throwing in insane drill does not fit the style of the show. Could they have done it? You and I both know they could have but the music doesn't call for it. Listen to the ballet. Are there huge impact points in the beginning? No, there aren't. So why add something that doesn't need to be there? The impact of the show happens right where it needs to happen and right where the designers of the show intended it to go.

Well done SCV!! This show will be in my library for years to come!

Ill second this!

So many of today's shows seem to be like Jackson Pollack paintings- bold, bright, constantly aggressive, each strock/spatter demanding your attention. 2009 SCV is more like a Monet or Seurat-where all the strokes/dots are painstakingly composed together in order to create a harmonius masterpiece.

watch for the GLASSMEN

to max out and PEAK EARLY .

like last season

JULY ---31----87.4----WESTCHESTER

August- 9 ----87.2----DCI FINALS

WHO ELSE ????

CROWN

TROOPERS

COLTS

BLUE STARS

BLUE KNIGHTS

BD-or else they are going to get 105.85