Field of dreams?

I saw in some news articles this week that notre dames football team is trying to secure a day for a game sometime in the next few years in the New Yankee Stadium. I know many corps can and have used the outfield of a baseball field for rehearsal or a show, i know my corps did. Has Dci ever done any of their major shows at a baseball stadium? Would this be feasible. Certain stadiums would be much more condusive to drum corps than others, but would this be a possibility for a new venue to get a new crowd of people involved?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

performing AND viewing drum corps in a baseball stadiums usually strange for both parties..

with crossmen, we performed at some small show in the north east where the '50' of the field is in line with direct center field of a baseball diamond. so the best seats & box are really far away, while the corners are super close.

also, during tournament of champions in California 2004, i saw the show at Qualcomm stadium in san diego. this is the san diego padres old baseball field.

they set up the football field so the front side line was parallel with the third base side of the stadium. unfortunately this meant that the front sideline had to be REALLY far away from the stands in order to fit a full football field.

The angle at which I was viewing the drill was really flat, even when having the best seats in the house (on the 50, fron of first balcony).

Further, none of the corps sounded powerful, the distance ate up all the sound.

Even when they did the mass horn line performance, using all 380+ horns, I remember walking away thinking,"thats it?"

there is so many options with football stadiums, i do not see why a baseball diamond would be considered, unless ofcourse necessary to the situation.

DCI Finals in 1977 and 1978 were at the old Mile High Stadium in Denver, which was a multi-purpose football and baseball stadium used at the time by the Broncos and by Denver's minor-league baseball team. Since finals were held in the middle of baseball season, the field was configured for baseball, and they put down yardlines on top of the baseball field. In 1978, I remember Jim Ott pointing out to us where the GE judges were sitting, so we would know where to direct our horn angles. They were sitting above the baseball scoreboard, not above "Strikes" or "Outs," but above "Balls."

Spirit of Atlanta's home show in 1977 was at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, at the time the home of the football Falcons and baseball Braves.

There was also a show for several years in the 70s and 80s in Columbus, Ohio, in the stadium of the New York Yankees farm team. The pitcher's mound was left in place, and the corps were instructed not to march over it, but to go around it. They actually placed cones around the mound to protect it. The story going around back then was that one corps removed the cones and went ahead and marched all over the mound, and when Yankees owner George Steinbrenner found out about it, that corps was banned from performing again in that stadium.

Edited by oldsoprano

Baltimore Yankee-Rebels (Sr corps) held their home show at Memorial Stadium (Home of the Orioles before Camden yards) for decades. Was there once in exhibition and remember the pitchers mound still being there which meant dust and a hump everytime someone marched over it.

Did a few small town shows at a BB field. Biggest problem was some of the lines were not parallel to the stands. You had to watch the front side line and not the stands as you marched toward the stands. If you went by the stands you would go off at an angle. :doh:

I remember playing a show in Omaha, NE at the stadium where they play the NCAA College World Series. It was ok, except for tripping over the pitcher's mound on occasion.

I remember mid 80's that the US Open was held at a baseball stadium in columbus one year instead of in Marion.

Edited by bluecoats88

If there was a MLB field that worked well for drum corps like the Florida one, do you think Dci would ever take the oppurtunity to get some advertising to baseball fans and make it worth it? My thought process with this is if you use more different venues your going to have more people come into conctact with drum corps, which in tunr could make more fans. Am i right? and would it be worth it

/?

Hey! Is this Heaven?