Time for a Change in Show Concepts ?

So.......for quite a number of seasons now there have been a lot of show designs/concepts that I would bet you anything....most fans who saw the shows....did not know what the show was about. Personally......I don't mind a few that make you ponder a bit ....but after a while...it gets a bit annoying to have show design after show design needing to be spelled out.

To promote more consistency in the corps creating crowd friendly accessible shows....I say that post-show critiques with the judges should be solely focused on the technical stuff. Not...."We are doing this and we are trying to portray that and watch out for this....." When this happens.....the whole thing (IMO) deviates from the most important element of a drum corps show.....the members ability to perform at a high level. I know the staffs work really hard....but the members are defiantly making the biggest sacrifice. I mean if you have listened to the judges commentary on the dvd's since 2000....two out of every three comments tend to be about design..... :tongue:

What do you think ?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We do, and designs often suffer as a result.

The corps that aren't very good at design now aren't good at design because they're not good at design. Theme restrictions aren't going to change that.

We are all...snowflakes.

($1 to Lewis Black)

LOL. :tongue:

Yes, we are all special....

It's not a bad suggestion. I doubt it will happen. Sometimes I think the staff is more interested in their design than they are in the students learning and performing. But that's an observation of mine that I know is unfounded (well, not totally). Years ago when I did this sort of thing with some competitive bands, I would see a number of talented caption heads, on many occasions, speaking with judges in a manner more suggestive of "my product" and "my creation" and "my show design." They were more worried about how "their" art was being perceived by the judges than whether the kids could perform it, and whether the crowd could understand it.

One of the reasons many folks miss the old TIC system is that it concentrated more on member performance. I would not be totally against doing this:

Judge 5 Core Captions: 1) Brass 2) Percussion 3) Guard 4) Marching 5) General Effect

Under brass you have a) construction b) technique c) demand (2 judges; field [[technique only]] and box [[construction and demand]]); brass = 20 points

Under percussion you have the same thing (2 judges; field and box--same as above); percussion = 20 points

Under guard you have a) design b) technique c) demand (1 judge - box, low); guard = 20 points

Under marching you have a) technique b) demand (2 judges, field and box); marching = 20 points

For GE you have a) construction b) integration (1 judge, box); GE = 20 points

This would dramatically change the priority of how scores are applied, but the judging elements are still much the same. You simply do not have the subjective nature of GE music, GE visual, or the overall Visual caption. There is one GE caption, and it is judged by one person. That person simply uses two sub-classes to determine the score (construction and integration). Their score ultimately reflects the show's general ability to reach its potential and the crowd in a logical way. How well it does this will depend on execution of the performance captions and whether or not the design is good.

I think all corps should design shows I like.

Yes, me too.